I'm coming from a Nexus 4 and definitely enjoying battery improvements from the Note 4. Having said that, it seems this battery drains more quickly than I expected... especially when I'm not even using it. I do have location services on, as I did on my Nexus 4 - but it seems I *almost always* have the little location icon blinking in my notification tray

I took some screenshots which show the drop in battery, and at the end when I'm at 12% it was only 2h45m of screen on time
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o0v6vwb6z...8WQ9ErGva?dl=0

I'm not aware of any way I can actually dive into Android System/Android OS to actually find out WHAT'S causing this battery drain...

Am I expecting more than this phone can deliver? Anything I can look into or change to improve battery life?
    12-12-2014 11:21 PM
    See if you have nearby friends active in Facebook chat. It was a battery assassin for me at first. Much better after disabling. It was pinging my location constantly.

sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note® 4
    12-13-2014 12:34 AM
    So turn Facebook chat off

posted with my note 4
    12-13-2014 01:09 AM
    When you don't have work on the phone you should turn off your unnecessary things like internet, screen light then your batter may long lasting as you expecting.
    12-13-2014 01:26 AM
    try turning it off and on again, could be a rouge process running the battery down. shouldn't have to constantly turn off stuff and toggle settings when you're not using them
    12-13-2014 03:27 AM
    How long have you had the phone? Battery life is not great for the first few days while the phone updates, gets setup, indexes files, etc. It will settle in after that.

You can use location services without a penalty. Just make sure you set up your apps correctly. Don't let something ping an update every 5-15 minutes, your phone will never sleep.
    12-13-2014 04:54 AM
    Kaitlyn.. it looks like you have bad mobile network signal in all your pics.. Maybe that's causing battery drain. Was it the same in the nexus 4?
    Michael Osborne likes this.
    12-14-2014 11:27 AM
    There's a singke battery pack out there that can be charging station from a computer or from he charging. And cari quite a bit enough to fill your phone up all you have to do is carry it with you, I keep mine in my center console
    12-15-2014 06:28 PM
    Seems like you need a external battery
    12-17-2014 06:04 AM
    Is location services set to high accuracy mode or battery saving mode? I'd check this first.

Second, install GSAM battery monitor and watch the application use statistics to look for suspects that may be waking up the device frequently during sleep. To do this reboot the phone to reset battery stats and then let it sit for at least an hour without using it, then look at GSAM stats. Selecting the app usage option and then seeing the display option in the upper right corner one can observe the time held awake and number of times woke on a per app basis. This should help to give some clues on what might be causing drain aside from the weak signal issue.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    12-17-2014 09:30 AM
    I have a really weak signal where I work, but my phone is still so random on the battery life I get. I rarely use it at work, and some days i'll have 80% or more at the end of the 8 hour work day and other times i'll have in the 49-70%. Obviously i'm not complaining if I have closer to the 70%, but it's just crazy how different it can be from day to day and I can't figure out why.

I tried GSam Battery Monitor and it was 100% worthless. All it told me was that "Android System" was draining my battery, yet the stock battery monitor already told me that. I want to know SPECIFICALLY what within the Android System is the culprit. I also do not believe in shutting everything off just to get satisfactory battery life. I wish people wouldn't recommend that in these threads as though it's a solution because anyone can say: "If you don't want your battery to die, power off your phone." That's basically what you've done when you turn on airplane mode or turn off bluetooth, wifi, data, location, etc.

Some phones, you simple have to turn everything off. But not the Note 4. I've seen this sucker get 6-7 hours of screen on time with everything turned on, including auto screen brightness.
    12-17-2014 01:10 PM
    I tried GSam Battery Monitor and it was 100% worthless. All it told me was that "Android System" was draining my battery, yet the stock battery monitor already told me that. I want to know SPECIFICALLY what within the Android System is the culprit. I also do not believe in shutting everything off just to get satisfactory battery life. I wish people wouldn't recommend that in these threads as though it's a solution because anyone can say: "If you don't want your battery to die, power off your phone." That's basically what you've done when you turn on airplane mode or turn off bluetooth, wifi, data, location, etc.
    The thing I often take for granted is just how much better things are with root privileges; GSam with root blows away GSam without it and it's not the developer's fault, stock android simply does not provide access rights to enough information to make well informed analysis of battery usage. As a result of the limitations to data without root, battery monitoring applications will not report things like wakelocks and wake times which is critical to finding rogue apps that are consuming battery during standby. I know its frustrating to hear users such as myself heralding apps like GSam or the ability to reduce battery consumption but do understand that these claims aren't unfounded, its just that sometimes we take what we have for granted.

Here's an example of a screen in GSam available to root users which shows the amount of time an application kept the device awake over the entire period of monitoring. It can be seen in this screenshot that over the 11.5 hours of monitoring Google Services held the device awake a total of 36 minutes. This kind of information is extremely helpful since it can be used to determine heavy users of processing power by simply resetting statistics (a clean boot) and leaving the screen off for a long monitoring duration (at least an hour) before checking stats again. After an hour or so if any applications other than Google's are showing a high amount of wake time then this could be considered a potential red flag.

My battery doesn't seem as good as it should be-screenshot_2014-12-17-16-58-44.png

Other screens are available as well which will show things like the number of times the device was awoken by each application etc.

Granted, some services like Google Services will encompass so many subprocesses that it will seem nearly impossible to control wakelocks there but at least with information such as shown above a user can quickly narrow things down to a particular application.
    12-18-2014 12:09 AM
    The thing I often take for granted is just how much better things are with root privileges; GSam with root blows away GSam without it and it's not the developer's fault, stock android simply does not provide access rights to enough information to make well informed analysis of battery usage. As a result of the limitations to data without root, battery monitoring applications will not report things like wakelocks and wake times which is critical to finding rogue apps that are consuming battery during standby. I know its frustrating to hear users such as myself heralding apps like GSam or the ability to reduce battery consumption but do understand that these claims aren't unfounded, its just that sometimes we take what we have for granted.

Other screens are available as well which will show things like the number of times the device was awoken by each application etc.

I don't doubt that GSam Battery Monitoring is incredible with root, I just know that unless you're rooted, it's no better than the battery monitor that's built into the Android settings. Rooting is obviously the very best way to solve problems such as these, but some people simply do not want to root. I'm not bashing the Note because I absolutely love mine, however rooting should not have to be the answer to get this thing to operate consistently well with battery life. I refuse to root because i've read hundreds of posts through the years of people with problems and complaints that root. It seems like while it opens a whole new world of opportunity with your device, it also opens a whole new world of potential problems. I just want to be able to get my note to work properly without voiding my warranty and potentially bringing on a whole new gauntlet of problems by rooting.
    12-18-2014 08:54 AM
    Gsam does provide toy with some information that the stock battery app didn't provide. But yeah it is limited for non root especially in the more recent Android versions.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    12-18-2014 09:12 AM
    Uninstall the apps that u don't and see if it helps you out not. There must be an app eating your battery. And pls disable the bloatware as it does drains the battery.if uninstalling apps doesn't work then do a factory data reset and then install apps again one by one slowly and uninstall the last installed app if the phone's battery suddenly starts draining........
    I am sorry if a typed more but i have done lots of browsing and experiments regarding android's battery coz i have increased my screen on time from 2 hours to 3 hours by my research........ Reply whether it worked out not.....
    12-20-2014 01:20 AM