Negatives to Note 4

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Let me hear the negatives before I pull the trigger and get one. Been debating about sticking with iOS, which I'm bored with again, getting a Nexus 6 or a Moto X. I thought the S pen looked very cool when I saw it today. Is it a gimmick? Are people really using it?

Nexus 6 looks good, but no one handed mode and no S pen.

Moto X has a crappy camera, only 32gig memory and Moto's own voice system acting as a go between Google Now, which slows it down.

I'm still concerned about about leaving iOS and an integrated MMS/Direct Message app. I think imessage is really good for what it does and I don't see Android really having an equivalent yet.

naira1

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Just go to a shop and have a feel of each phone. Then pick the one that best suit your need. You are in a note 4 thread. Expect to hear minimal negatives. Same thing if you go to a nexus 6 thread.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

fonzman78

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I just moved from Windows phone, which I love, to the Note 4 just for the S pen. I work in Sales. I need to be able to take notes. I used to have several notepads lying around with notes from meetings. No rhyme or reason to the notepads. Now, between the MS Surface 3 and the Note 4, I am totally paperless. With the Surface 3, I can take notes in meetings using the stylus. With the Note 4, I can take notes at lunch meetings where the Surface is to large to take out. And, since Android has OneNote, all my notes sync between phone, Surface 3, and home Windows computer. Nirvana!!

So for me, the S pen isn't a gimmick. It's a tool I use every day.

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Let me hear the negatives before I pull the trigger and get one. Been debating about sticking with iOS, which I'm bored with again, getting a Nexus 6 or a Moto X. I thought the S pen looked very cool when I saw it today. Is it a gimmick? Are people really using it?

Moto X has a crappy camera, only 32gig memory and Moto's own voice system acting as a go between Google Now, which slows it down.

I'm still concerned about about leaving iOS and an integrated MMS/Direct Message app. I think imessage is really good for what it does and I don't see Android really having an equivalent yet.

I absolutely Love this "phone". It is amazing. I use the spen all the time. Action memos, screen write, papyrus, smart select and on and on. I use it exclusively to copy text and paste as well. I use to hate using my finger for that. Cool as crap. It has a ton of purpose for me.
As far as the imessage goes I have never used an iphone but Textra is an amazing texting app that has some of the same features as imessage. Like I said, I never used iPhone...just the way I understand it.
I just couldn't be happier...a lot of that happiness is because of the folks in here. They are So full of android knowledge and continuously give great advice on everything from launchers to texting, complete customization and help for a Note 4
I wouldn't worry too much about one handed mode...I just do everything in portrait. That's really the #1 thing I like about the phone...don't have to put it landscape to get the keyboard big enough to use anymore... and that's great.
Whatever you decide, good luck!

Sent via the Next Big Thing, My Galaxy N4

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

If you read the numerous threads within this forum you will discover the pros and cons of the Note 4.

However, the best thing to do is to buy one and use it extensively within the return period. If you like it, keep it, and if you don't then return it and stay with IOS.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
and it never will, unless Google and all the android phone makers want to go to war with Apple (which isn't going to happen).

The industry is (and always has been) SMS/MMS. iMessage is something Apple invented to be incompatible with the industry (that was one of Steve Jobs' favorite pastimes), and it's not going to be seen on non-Apple phones.

As for the S-Pen, I use mine all the time (I have one in the phone and a spare on my desk so I don't have to keep pulling it out and putting it back). My wife, who suffered a minor stroke about a year ago, couldn't do half the things she does on her phone without it. The screen size and the S-Pen (and the replaceable battery) are the reasons I bought a Note.

Brian W1

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
The answer to iMessage is what's ap. It doesn't count against your text messages, if you're still not unlimited, and it is available on both IOS and Android. I use it a lot and it allows you to send larger pics than standard messages do.
As far as the Note 4 goes, I trade phones up all the time, as in,9 in about 8 months. The Note 4 is no joke, and I think I have found a keeper. The camera is awesome, removable battery, expandable storage, 32gb internal to start with, excellent reception (thank you for fixing this Samsung) ,awesome battery life, most beautiful screen I have seen on any phone, speaker is much louder, and it's fast.
Negatives= I've had it a week and still haven't got any complaints!

TheGauntlet

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I count myself among the most obsessive of researchers before committing good money. I had a decent Droid Maxx that wasn't more than 6 months old but started to lose signal in my house. Drove me nuts and I don't have a landline. Of course I needed an excuse to get a new phone but that was as good as any. I had decided against the Note 2 in 2012 for cost and size reasons. So like you it was the Note 4 or the Nexus 6 or the Droid Turbo (I'm Verizon). For reasons of screen quality, and removable battery I chose the Note 4. Lo and behold my reception problems have gone away and the rest of the phone is pretty cool. The S-pen has a learning curve. I'm right at the beginning of it but see it helping my productivity. Hope this helps.

sirCLD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I just moved from Windows phone, which I love, to the Note 4 just for the S pen. I work in Sales. I need to be able to take notes. I used to have several notepads lying around with notes from meetings. No rhyme or reason to the notepads. Now, between the MS Surface 3 and the Note 4, I am totally paperless. With the Surface 3, I can take notes in meetings using the stylus. With the Note 4, I can take notes at lunch meetings where the Surface is to large to take out. And, since Android has OneNote, all my notes sync between phone, Surface 3, and home Windows computer. Nirvana!!

I must share that I use the exact same two devices...the Surface Pro 3 and the Note 4. With the pens on both devices...I am now paperless. Personally...once I started using a pen and touch screen combo...I didn't enjoy any phone without.

Julie Guilfoyle1

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Don't switch to Samsung phone:

Buyer BEWARE of buying Samsung Phones. They WILL NOT replace your phone even if it is 1 month old and defective. IT IS IN THERE TOS! See their direct quote. I will post this every day:

During the applicable warranty period, provided the Product is returned in accordance with the terms of this Limited Warranty, SAMSUNG will repair the Product and we do not have an option to replace a new device.

We realize that you have asked about a replacement handset of a comparable model. All requests of this nature must be addressed through your service provider. Samsung will bring the device into evaluation and repair the device.

If you have insurance through your service provider please contact them for a possible replacement phone. Also, if you purchased the phone with a credit card most companies offer buyers protection. Contact your Credit Card Company to inquire about this program. Please visit the link below where you can check the warranty information of your phone:

anon(66956)

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site

Except for the transition from Windows Phone, this describes me perfectly. Surface Pro 3 + Note 4 + OneNote.

rdiddy_25

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had my N4 for 3 weeks now coming from iOS since the iPhone 2G and love it. Will be a little learning curve from iOS to Android but it's a quick pick up. Love everything about it, just wish the camera was better with moving objects. Otherwise, love it.

JAG21979

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
The real downside I've experienced is the lag when loading the gallery, which is painfully annoying. Aside from that, this phone has been flawless. I do use Nova Launcher Prime because I love the functionality, and I'M not too fond of touchwiz.

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site

Yeah iOS is boring but if you are comfortable just stick with it.
Hangouts will @ some day come close to iMessage but it's still in infancy right now.

I have a Note 4...But I really discourage you from switching over cuz it's a learning curve, u will encounter random bugs, then u will come here and bash up Android OS.

So if you with iOS stay on it...As for buying it and giving it a try idea, some places charge you a "re-stocking" fee, so be careful about that!

SJAprilMay

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I come from both iPhones and Androids....I swap about every two years. This time I went from the Galaxy S5 to the Note 4 and it is by far my favorite phone...so glad I didn't go for the now generic iPhone that fails to do anything but change its external appearance when it comes down to it. I love the customization available on the Note 4 and yes, I use the S-Pen EVERY DAY. It's why I bought the Note. I will be sad if Samsung truly stops releasing high-end phones like they are rumored to do - I will have the Note 4 until it dies if that is the case, but will never go back to iPhone after this experience with Android.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
and it never will, unless Google and all the android phone makers want to go to war with Apple (which isn't going to happen).

The industry is (and always has been) SMS/MMS. iMessage is something Apple invented to be incompatible with the industry (that was one of Steve Jobs' favorite pastimes), and it's not going to be seen on non-Apple phones.

As for the S-Pen, I use mine all the time (I have one in the phone and a spare on my desk so I don't have to keep pulling it out and putting it back). My wife, who suffered a minor stroke about a year ago, couldn't do half the things she does on her phone without it. The screen size and the S-Pen (and the replaceable battery) are the reasons I bought a Note.
I'm sorry to hear about your wife's stroke! Glad the technology has made things a bit easier for her!

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
You can find the thing people don't like on many threads, like the lag etc. However there is no substitute to trying out for yourself and seeing how it fits your needs. As a new user who is still learning many things, I just want to say it is better to focus on the positives and see if they apply to you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12