05-10-2015 05:52 PM
55 123
tools
    I have the note 4 and for me the negative is the reason I bought it and it's the size. Everything else is great I could have went with a g3 and been just as happy but for taking notes this thing takes the cake.

i hate big phones thats why i got a.. (phablet)
    12-14-2014 11:51 AM
    I just moved from Windows phone, which I love, to the Note 4 just for the S pen. I work in Sales. I need to be able to take notes. I used to have several notepads lying around with notes from meetings. No rhyme or reason to the notepads. Now, between the MS Surface 3 and the Note 4, I am totally paperless. With the Surface 3, I can take notes in meetings using the stylus. With the Note 4, I can take notes at lunch meetings where the Surface is to large to take out. And, since Android has OneNote, all my notes sync between phone, Surface 3, and home Windows computer. Nirvana!!

So for me, the S pen isn't a gimmick. It's a tool I use every day.
    Pretty much the same for me....

Except I don't work in sales, nor own a Surface 3.

Absolutely loving the Note 4!
    12-14-2014 07:27 PM
    The only thing you Will miss is iMessage. its better than anything android has to offer.
    I work at apple and have a Note 4 if that says anything. iOS may have a little smoothness to it that android doesn't have, but at the cost of No real widgets, No S pen like features, No customization ( you can't even turn off the ignorant auto arrange apps and place them where you want)

iOS is great, but I am just SO bored with it after using it from iPhone 3G to iPhone 6+ that I can't stand it any more.
    I have had several android phones and only 2 phones in this world make me forget all about iOS.

2014 Moto x (yes cam is crappy but the hands free is so amazing, its almost worth it)
    and the Note 4.

I have had the Note 4 for 3 weeks now and i Still can't stop touching it.
    S Pen, I honestly don't use a lot, it's Not a gimmick, but if you don't have a Reason to use it, or if you don't Make use of it, its not really going to do much for you.
    robjulo likes this.
    12-15-2014 01:15 AM
    I would say the biggest negative to Note 4 is that for most people it is overkill. Cheaper phones are available that will meet the needs of 95% of users. If your problem is that you are bored with iPhone I can assure you exploring Note 4's features and options will keep you entertained.
    TheGauntlet and rob367 like this.
    12-15-2014 01:57 AM
    For me it has been an absolute worthwhile transition.

I've never liked the iOS platform. My wife is a loyal apple fan, and I have always felt iOS lacked functionality in so many crucial ways. I am not bashing iOS, it just didn't fit what I needed a smartphone to do, nothing more.

I've been with an Android device since the earliest days of Android, so I have been along for the ride with lag, freezes, battery draining apps, GPS inaccuracies, Bluetooth incompatibilities, and yet somehow I stayed a fan of this platform all throughout.

Probably because by the time the Galaxy S2 came out, the platform began to mature enough that it was a solid performer and had real world usefulness.

I now use my Note 4 for everything, and only go to a laptop or PC if I absolutely have to. I scan documents into PDF, I sign quotes on screen, prepare emails, cut and paste photos into emails to send to colleagues, and so many other things. The business functionality and efficiencies I've gained from the S-Pen and the larger screen are enormous.

There are a few limitations of the phone, but I've yet to run into a smart phone that is perfect, so I don't really notice the limitations of the Note 4 that much. This device does so many things to help my daily tasks run smoother that it is imperfect in ways I can live with.
    GregMargie likes this.
    12-15-2014 09:08 AM
    I have had the Note 4 for about a month now and there are only 2 things I do not like.

1. When listening to music via headphones or Bluetooth when the volume is raised to a certain point there is a nag message saying you could hurt your ears. I have to click OK before it lets me raise the volume. It does not remember this setting either you have to do it every time you listen.

2. There is a small bump on the back cover where the speaker is so if you lay the phone down on a hard surface and try to type the phone will rock back and forth.
    12-15-2014 12:14 PM
    I was an IOS fan before I got my Note 3. I was stung by the Galaxy S3 right before I went to IOS. The Note series is unique for the stylus. I do not use the stylus every day but when I use it, its very convenient. I have a co-worker who uses her Note 3 and stylus everyday. She has it fully integrated into her life much better than I do.

When the Iphone 6 was announced, I was tempted to return back to IOS because the device looked nice. That only lasted for the day.

The battery life on my Note 3 is far superior to the Iphone. If, the Iphone 6 never came out, my wife was gong to switch to the Note series. She is a major Apple fan but, really liked my display and useability of my Note.

Another nice feature of the Note is the ability to remove the battery and add extra SD card support. The other Android devices that you mentioned, do not have that flexibility. Recently, I decided to try the pure Android experience by trying out the Moto x. I hated the battery life, the camera did not seem to take very good pictures and overall the phone was not for me. Also, I was missing the features of the Note 3 and found that I was adding software to phone to make a mini Note 3. I wound up returning it and going back to my Note 3.

Once Verizon is done clearing me of the Moto X(its been 2 months), then I will upgrade to the Note 4 or Edge. I will probably wind up with the Edge because I think that curved screen simplifies a lot of the processes that I do on my phone plus, its a substantial enough of improvement to motivate me to upgrade.
    robjulo likes this.
    12-15-2014 12:26 PM
    So far everything has been great on my note 4 except for the scratches on the metal trim. There's quite a few complaints about that. At first i thought my case doesn't scratch it but i release i was wrong. I have the UAG others have the spigen brand. I think their metal strip is poor designed or cheap. Knowing Samsung they won't admit to their mistake so they'll blame the case manufactures. And I'm sure they will be blaming Samsung in the end customers get burned!
    12-15-2014 12:41 PM
    I also hate number 1 but it is an Android thing not exclusive to the Note 4

I have had the Note 4 for about a month now and there are only 2 things I do not like.

1. When listening to music via headphones or Bluetooth when the volume is raised to a certain point there is a nag message saying you could hurt your ears. I have to click OK before it lets me raise the volume. It does not remember this setting either you have to do it every time you listen.

2. There is a small bump on the back cover where the speaker is so if you lay the phone down on a hard surface and try to type the phone will rock back and forth.
    12-15-2014 01:55 PM
    I been using android since it first came out on Tmobile. I also went one year with the iphone 4s then Note 2 ,3 and now the Note 4 I also had a windows phone and blackberry. It really depends on you and your needs. As we all know nothing is ever going to be perfect. figure out if the pros outway the cons. For me I love the Note4. It has a beautiful screen. I don't have any lag as others complained about. Battery has been good not great. The only other problem I have is taking pictures anything that moves gets blurred. I have tried everything to fix this problem, out door picks are great and video is awsome. Being able to add more memory and also replacing the battery is a big plus. Hope this helps out!

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-15-2014 03:02 PM
    Really love the screen,battery ,the pen is what i like the most

Dislike
    1 the camera is the worse one i ever had on a phone
    2 It reboot 3 times so far
    3 Lots and lots of lag

I will echange 4 a new one tomorrow and see if it's better if not will return on saterday.

12-15-2014 05:11 PM
    Really love the screen,battery ,the pen is what i like the most

Dislike
    1 the camera is the worse one i ever had on a phone
    2 It reboot 3 times so far
    3 Lots and lots of lag

I will echange 4 a new one tomorrow and see if it's better if not will return on saterday.

You have a defective phone.
    My camera takes some Killer pictures.
    Never rebooted on its own.
    There is a minor hitching, once in a while, here and there, but my Note has the least amount of lag of ANY android phone I have ever owned.
    brad419 and goin_nil like this.
    12-15-2014 08:25 PM
    This is likely not a defective phone. There are SO many posts in here like the one you quoted (that won't be in this post) that almost always turn out to be by people who just don't know all the stuff that makes these phones do what they do. I know people can't be born knowing this stuff but if you read the post (number 36) it's pretty clear if he/she handed it to someone who has had these things it'd be about a 10 minute fix...

You have a defective phone.
    My camera takes some Killer pictures.
    Never rebooted on its own.
    There is a minor hitching, once in a while, here and there, but my Note has the least amount of lag of ANY android phone I have ever owned.
    12-16-2014 10:16 AM
    I'm really enjoying my note 4. I switched from an iphone 5 at the beginning of november. Though, this phone doesn't go without some cons

1. Note 4 does not work very well with my car's (toyota prius) bluetooth interface. I can't play any music from my car's touch screen interface, I have to use the actual phone. I also get a little sound hiccup sometimes when playing music via bluetooth. The iphone worked flawlessly all the time. *the note 4 phone calls work pretty well through my car's system*

2. Siri (sort of). Mostly just how easy it was to use siri. I could just hold down the home button and say something like "Play artist/song/track _____" and siri would instantly play it. Google now is okay, but I'd rather be able to hold down the home button to have the ability to use voice commands. And the recognition of "Okay Google" works about 60ish% of the time for me. Overall, not horrible, just a little different/inconvenient for me.

3. iMessage

4. Unnecessary software. I disabled and uninstalled a lot software I never needed or used. Definitely helped any sort of lag I was noticing or any battery life problems.

Other than that, I love this phone, the camera is incredible! Love the S pen, love the google suite of apps. I'm really enjoying android as well! If only I could get an iDroid phone... that would be awesome! but until then, I'm keeping and enjoying my note 4!
    12-16-2014 11:30 AM
    I'm really enjoying my note 4. I switched from an iphone 5 at the beginning of november. Though, this phone doesn't go without some cons

1. Note 4 does not work very well with my car's (toyota prius) bluetooth interface. I can't play any music from my car's touch screen interface, I have to use the actual phone. I also get a little sound hiccup sometimes when playing music via bluetooth. The iphone worked flawlessly all the time. *the note 4 phone calls work pretty well through my car's system*
    Your iPhone 5 runs an older version of Bluetooth (v4.0) than the Note 4 runs (v4.1). Toyota needs to update the firmware on their head units to support 4.1. Most auto manufacturers are pretty good about maintaining BT compatibility in their systems, so you'll probably see a firmware update within the next 6 months. As long as you're not expecting a 15 year old Prius to get a firmware update.

2. Siri (sort of). Mostly just how easy it was to use siri. I could just hold down the home button and say something like "Play artist/song/track _____" and siri would instantly play it. Google now is okay, but I'd rather be able to hold down the home button to have the ability to use voice commands. And the recognition of "Okay Google" works about 60ish% of the time for me. Overall, not horrible, just a little different/inconvenient for me.
    Duly noted. I expect this to steadily improve over time. They've gone from nothing to OK Google in less than a year, so it is pretty impressive where it is now, considering all of the manufacturers that they have to deal with.

3. iMessage
    I know this sounds snarky, but I am always amused at the way Apple goes to great lengths to make their systems completely incompatible with the rest of the world (and in the case of iMessage, ripping off the idea from another company in the process), but people coming from Apple devices always lament that they don't have a particular feature any more. If it helps you any, I went through a period of withdrawal from BBM (the original iMessage) when I transitioned away from Blackberry 5-6 years ago, so I do understand your pain.

4. Unnecessary software. I disabled and uninstalled a lot software I never needed or used. Definitely helped any sort of lag I was noticing or any battery life problems.
    Yeah, this is unfortunately the necessary evil of "open source" platforms like Android. The good news is, you can disable the bloatware now. A couple of years ago, Carriers were free to force that garbage down our throats and we were powerless to do anything about it if we didn't want to root our phones. At least rooting was easier back then.

Other than that, I love this phone, the camera is incredible! Love the S pen, love the google suite of apps. I'm really enjoying android as well! If only I could get an iDroid phone... that would be awesome! but until then, I'm keeping and enjoying my note 4!
    Glad to hear that! Welcome to the Note 4 and AC!
    12-16-2014 02:49 PM
    mentioned it before & I'll mention it again: the extremely dim led notification light
    12-16-2014 03:15 PM
    The edges of the note 4 scratch very easily, and even scratched out of the box. Poor design by Samsung. Other than that, phone is good.
    12-16-2014 08:19 PM
    The radios on the Note 4 are pathetically weak. I could've made this post in a minute on my Nexus 6, Nexus 5, and OnePlus One but I'm took a little under 10 minutes to load all the pages to get here and write this very post here on my Note 4. I have access to another Note 4 and it took about the same time to navigate to this thread from the main Android Central site.
    12-16-2014 11:36 PM
    I must share that I use the exact same two devices...the Surface Pro 3 and the Note 4. With the pens on both devices...I am now paperless. Personally...once I started using a pen and touch screen combo...I didn't enjoy any phone without.

I agree... This device combination is perfect

12-16-2014 11:36 PM
    The radios on the Note 4 are pathetically weak. I could've made this post in a minute on my Nexus 6, Nexus 5, and OnePlus One but I'm took a little under 10 minutes to load all the pages to get here and write this very post here on my Note 4. I have access to another Note 4 and it took about the same time to navigate to this thread from the main Android Central site.
    What app are you using and what kind of connection? I just tried the same thing on both Chrome and Puffin browsers and it was extremely fast. I started with new tabs on each. The slow part was my typing and manual selection. Did both over both WiFi & LTE.
    12-16-2014 11:51 PM
    What app are you using and what kind of connection? I just tried the same thing on both Chrome and Puffin browsers and it was extremely fast. I started with new tabs on each. The slow part was my typing and manual selection. Did both over both WiFi & LTE.
    This is based on WiFi distance from my router. Using my other phones to perform tasks such as downloading an album from Google Play, streaming, or just navigating through a forum, my SM-910A Note 4(and the other SM-910T Note 4 I have access to)takes longer and I'm usually waiting for a video to buffer while it takes less time to perform the same tasks on even the already poor radio on the OnePlus One. Even when I transfer a large file from one phone to the others simultaneously, the Note 4 is the last to finish.

This is also the same when I pair my G Watch and Bluetooth headset with the Note 4. I can travel farther on other devices before the connection cuts than the Note 4(OnePlus One is weaker than the Note when it comes to Bluetooth).
    12-17-2014 12:08 AM
    This is based on WiFi distance from my router. Using my other phones to perform tasks such as downloading an album from Google Play, streaming, or just navigating through a forum, my SM-910A Note 4(and the other SM-910T Note 4 I have access to)takes longer and I'm usually waiting for a video to buffer while it takes less time to perform the same tasks on even the already poor radio on the OnePlus One. Even when I transfer a large file from one phone to the others simultaneously, the Note 4 is the last to finish.

This is also the same when I pair my G Watch and Bluetooth headset with the Note 4. I can travel farther on other devices before the connection cuts than the Note 4(OnePlus One is weaker than the Note when it comes to Bluetooth).
    Interesting. My Note 4 will copy a large file from a NAS over the same WiFi connection over twice as fast as my Nexus 7. My Speedtest measures about 60Mbps on my Comcast connection 25 feet and 3 intervening walls away from my Asus router.
    12-17-2014 12:24 AM
    Thought I'll reignite this thread, I upgraded to a Note 4 a month ago.

While the Note 4 is superior in just about every aspects, I still have more fondness for the Note 3. I feel the Note 3 was a brilliant design effort, and not as much effort was put into making the Note 4 a major step up.

Here are some things I do not like about the Note 4

1 - Integration of Action Memo into S Note. No scrolling Action Memo Widget. Inability to put a blank Action Memo on the screen.

2 - Placement of the "Option Button" and Menu near the top right corner instead of the left soft key. This makes it difficult to use on handed. I felt Samsung changed this just for the sake of change, as it offers not benefits.

3 - Phone has gained about 1.5mm in height.

4 - No air view notifications. I.e. hover your hand above the phone and screen lits up showing notifications, missed calls etc....

5 - Note 3 had slightly raised edges around the screen that protects it during a fall. The Note 4 screen is slightly raised at the edges, making it more susceptible to cracking when dropped.

6 - Location of main controls in stock Internet application makes it difficult to use one handed.

7 - Stock Email application is not as fast as the Note 3, and has some noticeable lag.

8 - The side buttons stick out too much and are very easily pressed by accident.

9 - The screen is so bright (even at low brightness) that my eyes hurt when looking at it for too long.

Overall I'm happy with the upgrade and love the Note 4, but I just wish Samsung put more effort in a device that was more "comfortable to use". This is exactly what I miss from the Note 3, the "comfort factor" when using the phone.
    05-10-2015 08:26 AM
    For me it has been an absolute worthwhile transition.

I've never liked the iOS platform. My wife is a loyal apple fan, and I have always felt iOS lacked functionality in so many crucial ways. I am not bashing iOS, it just didn't fit what I needed a smartphone to do, nothing more.

I've been with an Android device since the earliest days of Android, so I have been along for the ride with lag, freezes, battery draining apps, GPS inaccuracies, Bluetooth incompatibilities, and yet somehow I stayed a fan of this platform all throughout.

Probably because by the time the Galaxy S2 came out, the platform began to mature enough that it was a solid performer and had real world usefulness.

I now use my Note 4 for everything, and only go to a laptop or PC if I absolutely have to. I scan documents into PDF, I sign quotes on screen, prepare emails, cut and paste photos into emails to send to colleagues, and so many other things. The business functionality and efficiencies I've gained from the S-Pen and the larger screen are enormous.

There are a few limitations of the phone, but I've yet to run into a smart phone that is perfect, so I don't really notice the limitations of the Note 4 that much. This device does so many things to help my daily tasks run smoother that it is imperfect in ways I can live with.
    Opening a .pdf file on Note 4, does it requires an additional app?
    05-10-2015 10:53 AM
    Opening a .pdf file on Note 4, does it requires an additional app?
    I use a few different 3rd party apps but I think the Note 4 comes preloaded with Hancom Office 2014 which you can use to open pdf files.

Sent from my Note 4
    05-10-2015 11:02 AM
55 123