Nova launcher draining battery?

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys so I been using nova launcher for at least 1 week and I love the look and the change of icons because it makes it more personal. The only issue I have is the battery life that I feel it's draining faster since if installed nova. Like usually I would go to my college, come back home and with moderate use have at least 75+ battery life.

And with the same usage but after installing nova when I come home I have 50% or even 40% with the same amount of use, and it has been the same battery low all this week since I installed nova launcher.

I want to know if anyone has experience battery drain on their phones with nova launcher. It's the only thing I have downloaded this week since I felt battery was draining faster.

By doing this thread I just lost 2% battery and it took me 2 minutes to write.

Also I'm using a galaxy note 4.

rvhs03

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys so I been using nova launcher for at least 1 week and I love the look and the change of icons because it makes it more personal. The only issue I have is the battery life that I feel it's draining faster since if installed nova. Like usually I would go to my college, come back home and with moderate use have at least 75+ battery life.

And with the same usage but after installing nova when I come home I have 50% or even 40% with the same amount of use, and it has been the same battery low all this week since I installed nova launcher.

I want to know if anyone has experience battery drain on their phones with nova launcher. It's the only thing I have downloaded this week since I felt battery was draining faster.

By doing this thread I just lost 2% battery and it took me 2 minutes to write.

Also I'm using a galaxy note 4.

I used stock tw for a week then installed nova prime. I never had any battery issues on my bote 3 with nova. But for some reason I also experienced unacceptable battery drain and removed nova. My battery life is back where it was when the phone was new. I don't know if maybe nova isn't completely optimized for note 4 or what the deal is. But I definitely agree with you.

Posted via the Android Central App

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Time ur battery with nova. See how many minutes go by when a percent drains. My note 4 is usually 1 percent drained every 4 or 5 minutes of using it and i use touchwiz launcher not nova. So check real quick how many minutes go by when a percent drops using nova. Then delete nova and use touchwiz launcher and see how many minutes go by when a percent drops while using ur phone. Make sure after u delete nova turn ur phone off and back on.

Posted via my Samsung GALAXY NOTE 4

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I use nova exclusively and I'm fairly certain that Nova alone is not the cause. Many Nova users including myself have no issues with battery drain as opposed to other launchers. My standby drain is low, less than 1% per hour in standby and at idle with the screen on the cpu throttles down fully periodically, indicating low background process use. CPU usage of Nova ranks low on my device. I've tamed some of my widgets though, changing email sync frequency to every 15 minutes, and weather to once per hour has helped a lot.

My initial thought is if any of you who are perceiving increased drain with Nova are using any widgets then it is possible that one of the widgets is causing the drain. The best way to identify which is to install a battery monitoring software, reboot the device and let it sit without using it (AT ALL) for at least an hour and then checking per-app battery use to determine the heavy use items. Evaluation can then be made whether to try to tame battery use for said widget or just look for a replacement.

Android's battery use logging/reporting capabilities are robust, the challenge is to install the tools necessary to gain access to them and take the time to learn how to use them. Don't rely on your own observations of battery % meter over time if you have no clue what processes are running. Using tools like GSAM Battery Monitor or others to see how various application processes stack up is the best way to pin down drain issues, and starting with observations when the device is NOT IN USE is the best way to discover errant processes that are sucking battery without your knowledge.

All of this isn't to say that the potential for a given widget from an app developer won't behave differently with Nova or another launcher . . It's just that the launcher alone isn't necessarily the cause for drain.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm using Nova Prime and have a number of widgets active - Apps Organizer. Elixir, SystemPanel, GSam Battery Monitor, and OS Monitor - and see minimal battery drain (2% over 8 hours at most) if I leave the phone with screen off (WiFi on) over night. I don't see any CPU activity associate with Nova on any usage monitor I look at.

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I would get GSAM battery monitor and look at the apps that are using the battery. It will tell you what is using it including Nova, if it is.
Good Luck!
Ron

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I just had this issue of Nova eating battery . Gsam showed it way out of control. I had to uninstall and reinstall Nova and it's back to normal.

Princepia

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I've used Nova on every single device I've ever owned (it's my first install on a new phone) and have never ever experienced any significant drain. In fact I think there is improvement compared to Touchwiz.

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Just a quick question to guys who have never experienced battery drain with nova, do you also install teslaunread plugin?
My battery life is significantly low if i install nova and teslaunread so i am using touchwiz.

As i belive it might be teslaunread but nova is kinda useless without it.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Just a quick question to guys who have never experienced battery drain with nova, do you also install teslaunread plugin?
My battery life is significantly low if i install nova and teslaunread so i am using touchwiz.

I use Nova Prime but have not installed TeslaUnread and have minimal battery usage from Nova.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I use Tesla Unread and Nova Prime and see no battery drain at all.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't find Tesla Unread useful so I don't use it (reason it isn't useful to me is I have a number of accounts to monitor and receive MANY emails a day leaving many messages unread so the number on the notifications would be left in the 4 digit range eventually LOL).

I would imagine that drain with Tesla Unread would be subjective since everyone's usage is going to be different (number of accounts, number of notification types, number of notifications received daily, frequency of checking, network connection type and signal strength etc. etc. etc.). IF Tesla Unread causes additional checking for unread counts on multiple accounts though I could see this resulting in drain . . would make sense.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I have unread installed and in use. Minimal drainage.

Princepia

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I feel stupid, but where do I see Nova's battery usage? Under batter stats? I've never seen Nova listed taking a portion of my battery power, which it appears some have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463