Why can't I watch a YouTube video without it constantly buffering?

Blipstein

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a 50mbps download speed at home. Yet, I feel like I have to do a whole song and dance to play a video all the way through on the first try without buffering. I'm either closing the app and reopening, rebooting or turning the WiFi off and on. It's just so inconsistent.

I'm I the only one?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Buffering simply means that all the data that;'s downloaded has been shown and the app is waiting for more data.

Your 50mbps connection is between you and your internet provider. Between them and the Youtube server there may be a multi-gigabit speed available, or the path may be so crowded that you're getting 200kbps data transfer from Youtube to your provider. And there's nothing you or your internet provider can do about it, any more than you can't do more than 5mph on a 4 lane interstate during the rush hour when there's a 5 car pile-up closing 3-1/2 lanes up ahead.

The internet is like a highway in that respect - if there's a lot of traffic on a particular road (path), that traffic is going to crawl. The internet was developed as a means of getting data from point A to point B eventually, not immediately. (It was developed so that, in the aftermath of atomic war, when most of the nation's infrastructure was knocked out, the IRS would still be able to collect taxes from those places still having living people. If not this month, then next month.)

Internet 2, which we won't see for at least a decade, is designed for speed.

The internet now is to what the internet will be as spark transmission was to 3D HD widescreen TV - it's still in its infancy. About all we've done so far is used different coding to make faster speeds possible, and brought cable and/or fiber to the house, instead of to the phone company central office. It's like adding green paint and a flashlight to a Model A Ford.

Your normal fastest single connection is going to be close to 2mbps these days, so you can support 25 or more simultaneous full-speed connections - streams, downloads, etc., at once. But you can't make the data come down a slow connection to your provider faster. They can only deliver it as fast as they get it. (Which is why, for a household of 4, it's silly to waste money on more than 10mbps - that's 2 full speed connections each with 2 left over. As the internet itself gets faster [and it does, little by little - 3 years ago it was running about 1mbps], it pays to increase the bandwidth you buy.)

Blipstein

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Understood. But I can watch the same video on my Xbox, iPad or desktop without any buffering. So I don't think that theory applies in this situation

rvhs03

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
While I agree with the above, I, too occasionally have YouTube buffering. I can close the app and open the same video in a web browser and it will work fine. I think there may be a few small bugs in YouTube that not everyone experiences, and not all the time for those who do.

Posted via the Android Central App

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I like your analogies for the most part but you just turned Bob Metcalf into a collection leg breaker for the IRS. I am going to protest in Bob's behalf.:)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem on 4G data not so much on WiFi.
If it is on 4GLTE then it could be a carrier issue. It could be a bandwidth issue with you and the tower or the carrier and youtube

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance