I am fairly new to forums and I have searched for this topic but cannot find the information I need. I am on Verizon and received an update Wednesday. Since then my battery life has drastically reduced. I was getting about 6 hours of on screen time with my screen being the largest drain. Now I'm getting about 3 or 4 with the Android system being the largest drain. I have installed gsam and have noticed that my phone is waking even though my screen is not on. I do not know how to find out what is waking phone. Can anyone tell me how to check that? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-14-2014 10:05 PM
    It would help to see some battery stats. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
    2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
    3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
    4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...d-central.html

Also, consider wiping the system cache partition, which won't erase any personal data: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-14686
    12-14-2014 11:15 PM
    I've noticed it, too. I'll post my stats when I get a chance.
    12-14-2014 11:59 PM
    Thank you. I have had it off the charger for a while. Even though these are not the most horrible battery stats I have seen they are far worse than I used to get. I did clear the cache when I notices the battery drain because I've noticed on several forum posts that this fixes a lot of issues.

Attached Thumbnails Verizon update draining battery life.-screenshot_2014-12-14-23-21-47.jpg   Verizon update draining battery life.-screenshot_2014-12-14-23-19-52.jpg   Verizon update draining battery life.-screenshot_2014-12-14-23-19-31.jpg   Verizon update draining battery life.-screenshot_2014-12-14-23-19-24.jpg  
    12-15-2014 12:24 AM
    I can't see anything that looks like the culprit from those screens. But I agree, the screen-on time doesn't look very good. Let us know if the cache wipe does anything. It might also be the phenomenon we sometimes see, where battery life is kind of crappy for a few days after an update, then it tends to settle down.
    12-15-2014 01:36 AM
    Thanks again. The cache wipe I did earlier in the week didn't help. I'm trying to avoid a full reset but if it doesn't get better by Wednesday, I may have to do just that. A full week should be enough to calm the battery down. It would break my heart to do a factory reset. I avoid those like the plague.

12-15-2014 07:48 AM
    I have been wondering what this index thing is. Showed up about two weeks ago and is killing my battery. I've done everything short of a factory reset to get rid of it.
    12-15-2014 08:18 AM
    From what I have read it may have something to do with your sd card. If you have an older one it may be having trouble. I've read some post that suggest taking out the card and I'd that resolves it you may need a new card.

12-15-2014 08:42 AM
    I haven't noticed any change. For the OP...anytime your Android System is higher than screen there is something going on. Lots of threads to help you figure it out.

And for mrtwohands...indexing usually seems to be either SD as someone already said or a file on your phone that can't be "matched" with one in the cloud. You have to find everything that syncs files and find out which one stops the indexing when you stop the program. Someone else found it was Picasa which is very sneaky about syncing stuff without telling you.
    12-15-2014 10:43 AM
    I pulled the trigger and did a factory reset. I will let y'all know how it went.

12-15-2014 12:30 PM
    I did a factory reset also and the index services is back after two days and killing my battery. Not sure what to do now other than contact Verizon
    12-18-2014 07:31 AM
    So far the factory reset helped a little on mine. Still not what I was getting but not as good as it was. Hopefully it will settle down after a few days. At least I should be able to put up with it until the next software upgrade. With the indexing service I have no idea. Definitely call verizon. If nothing else they maybe able to swap your phone out.

12-18-2014 08:13 AM
    I did a factory reset also and the index services is back after two days and killing my battery. Not sure what to do now other than contact Verizon

Remove the sd card, if you have one. If that doesn't fix the problem, add a ".Nomedia". File to the root of your internal memory. If that stops the drain then you have some corrupt media file. You can delete the nomedia from the root and put it in every non media directory. If that still doesn't work then put it into each media directory individually to see which folder is causing the drain. Then you can isolate to see which file is causing the problem.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    12-18-2014 10:46 AM
    im having the same issue, Sprint user and got a NK2 update about 2 weeks ago. Since then battery life is horrible, 15% by 3pm.

can you explain the nomedia thing?

how do I create a nomedia file? and how do i put it where you say?
    12-25-2014 09:22 PM
    I feel like Verizon does this on purpose.

12-25-2014 11:51 PM
    im having the same issue, Sprint user and got a NK2 update about 2 weeks ago. Since then battery life is horrible, 15% by 3pm.

can you explain the nomedia thing?

how do I create a nomedia file? and how do i put it where you say?
    Go to a pc, access the root directory of internal and sd card and create a new blank file called ".nomedia"

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    12-26-2014 01:50 AM
    what kind of blank file? world? notepad? folder?

I looked at my phone this morning and the index service is gone, it was 40% lastnight. my battery seems to be holding its charger better so far, im off the charger for about 2 hours and still at 98%.

I did delete some old pdf and other files i didnt need anymore.
    12-26-2014 10:04 AM
    what kind of blank file? world? notepad? folder?

I looked at my phone this morning and the index service is gone, it was 40% lastnight. my battery seems to be holding its charger better so far, im off the charger for about 2 hours and still at 98%.

I did delete some old pdf and other files I didnt need anymore.
    It very well could have been one of those files that was corrupt and the Indexing service kept trying.
    Good that you got it fixed.
    Ron
    12-26-2014 01:21 PM