Why can't my Bluetooth hold a connection to my Note 4?

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Bluetooth connection and range

Anyone seeing bad Bluetooth? I had the Note 3 where Bluetooth was fine. My 4 can't hold a connection past 20 feet; fails to connect to my car speaker without scanning and drops connections. Is mt phone a dud or is the 4 really bad?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Bluetooth connection and range

It depends on the device and the area. There are 3 classes of Bluetooth:

Class 1 is 100mW, and the range is about 100 meters in clear air.

Class 2 is 2.5mW, and the range is 10 meters.

Class 3, like headsets, is 1mW, and the range is 1 meter. That's in clear air. If the phone is in your left pants pocket, and the earphone is on your right ear, that's about 3/4 meters through human muscle tissue, and WAY past the range of a 1mW 2.4GHz signal.

If you want more than 20 feet (just over 6 meters), you need a Class 1 device. Since car radio BT is designed for a phone that's inside the passenger compartment, and usually pretty close to the radio, it's probably a Class 3 devide. Maybe some of them are Class 2. But that's through plastic and surrounded by metal, so the range would be less. Once you get outside the car (how else do you get 20 feet from the car audio system), you're talking about getting signal through a conductive enclosure - not something BT (or wifi) is designed for.

The problem is mainly that you're trying to use a system for something FAR exceeding its design specs. (Maybe your Note 3 had an exceptionally sensitive receiver - the sensitivity still varies from chip to chip - and probably isn't one of the things measured under exceptional conditions, which is what you're doing. [The sensitivity can fall off a cliff at one point, so if you're one inch too far, you go from good signal to no signal with digital signals. The measured sensitivity - wire to the radio - can be fine, but the sensitivity at twice the design spec can be nil.])

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

Mine seems about as good if not better than my S5. I've only used it for my JBL flip though....

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

Mines great. Mine will pair with my aftermarket rf Bluetooth adapter in my Jeep when I'm in the house..it's 4.0 Bluetooth. Works great!

Sent via the Next Big Thing, My Galaxy N4

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Mine has been great. I can walk all around my desk at work and I don't have an issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85