10-31-2016 11:42 AM
51 123
tools
    Phone takes crazy low light shots. Simple as that. Tho its software based problems not hardware. The camera is poor for shots with less than good lighting.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Cameras with much larger sensors also have issues in less than good lighting. Unfortunately, people expect WAY too much from a camera phone. Given the tiny sensor size (i.e., very small pixels), all the worst attributes are going to show up in low-light images. Don't expect miracles from the Note 4 camera - and learn what it takes to take a good image (with any camera): adequate light and a VERY steady camera (that's why they make tripods!).
    the tall guy likes this.
    12-21-2014 04:40 PM
    maybe YOU'RE actually more shaky than you think.
    Indeed! Maybe he has developed a physical tremor of some sort. We all get older. We change. Could also be a consequence of emotional/psychological (in)stability. Not neccessarily permanent. When people are nervous, or mad, or scared, or excited, they tremble.
    12-21-2014 06:44 PM
    Not to state the obvious but, did you take the protective covering off the lens? Sounds dumb but I didn't realize it was there at first.
    Yes I took it off before I even activated the phone, having said that....the piece of plastic that covers the camera lens has a circle cutout in the center so it doesn't obscure the lens anyway even if left in place.
    12-21-2014 09:50 PM
    Lots of ways to do that:
    1. Google+ auto upload feature uploads to your Google+ account
    2. Dropbox auto upload feature does the same thing, but uploads to your dropbox, which you can sync to your Mac
    3. Get Airdroid in the Play Store. It allows you to get into your phone from your Mac via wifi and you can transfer your photos that way. And its FREE.
    4. Wifi File Explorer Pro does the same thing as Airdroid, but it's not as pretty and costs $1
    5. Android File Transfer application on Mac. Install it, plug in phone via USB, the app will automatically launch and let you into the folder structure of the phone. It works fine on AT&T version of the Note 4.

I've used all of these on the Note 4 (except Wifi File Explorer...used to use that on my GS3), and they all work fine.

Hope that helps!
    That does help, Thank you Ken, I'll set it up over Christmas
    12-21-2014 09:52 PM
    Indeed! Maybe he has developed a physical tremor of some sort. We all get older. We change. Could also be a consequence of emotional/psychological (in)stability. Not neccessarily permanent. When people are nervous, or mad, or scared, or excited, they tremble.
    Yes did I mention I suffer from stage 5 Parkinsons disease, I'm epileptic, freezing cold and I was on a pogo stick when I took pics with my Note 4??
    No, my hands are steady....no stability issues here.
    12-21-2014 09:57 PM
    That's the most ridiculous statement I've heard on this forum thus far.
    If that's what you think then I think you could use some basic photography lessons!
    12-21-2014 10:33 PM
    Why does turning off hdr take better pics? Not being a camera expert I found all of the options fairly intimidating at first. I have hdr and the flash on and only about 3% of my pics have turned out poorly and we're my fault for not holding the phone steady enough.

12-21-2014 11:03 PM
    Pictures where the subject(s) are still are flawless. Sunsets, skylines, etc. But if the subject moves it's blurry. Just figured with ois pictures with some movement would be better than my s5. That's all.
    12-22-2014 08:26 PM
    Pictures where the subject(s) are still are flawless. Sunsets, skylines, etc. But if the subject moves it's blurry. Just figured with ois pictures with some movement would be better than my s5. That's all.
    With low light yes.. with proper lighting, however, camera takes sharp photos....even of moving objects

12-22-2014 08:36 PM
    OIS attempts to stabilize the camera - not the subject. It attempts to reduce any camera shake, but can't do anything to prevent blur from a moving subject.
    12-22-2014 09:21 PM
    Exactly!! Hence my question...Is OIS actually working? If there is the SLIGHTEST movement of subject at all, the picture is complete blur. I thought OIS prevented this or at the very least helped.
    12-24-2014 02:13 PM
    Exactly!! Hence my question...Is OIS actually working? If there is the SLIGHTEST movement of subject at all, the picture is complete blur. I thought OIS prevented this or at the very least helped.
    OIS has nothing to do with the movement of the subject - it attempts to compensate for movement of the phone in your hand. It is a matter of shutter speed that affects whether or not blur of a moving subject is reduced and we do not have the same active control of shutter speed in the Note 4 as we do with a DSLR or P&S.
    12-24-2014 04:15 PM
    Actually, the flash won't help much, as it's a continuous-light flash (LED), not a flash tube. A conventional flash exposes for a small fraction of a second, but the LED flash on a camera phone actually exposes for a relatively-long time (1/8 second??), which won't help camera movement.

Great suggestion about the HDR - I suspect most people turn it on ALL the time, which is a REALLY bad idea!
    The duration of the flash should not be of concern, even if you held a bright flash light on the subject that stays on it gives more light on the subject thus has to make it so that the shutter can be faster, the brighter the subject the faster the shutter.
    Biggest problem is that LED flashes are not nearly as bright as Xenon flashes.
    Plus the ISO only goes to 800
    12-24-2014 04:31 PM
    Why does turning off hdr take better pics? Not being a camera expert I found all of the options fairly intimidating at first. I have hdr and the flash on and only about 3% of my pics have turned out poorly and we're my fault for not holding the phone steady enough.

HDR takes two photos and then combines them (one exposing for highlights and one for shadows). If you have movement in your subject between he two photos you can get some ghosting. Also when you have HDR mode on the image stabilization is turned off.
    12-24-2014 07:44 PM
    Yeah, it sounds silly but is easy to do. If I recall correctly, my new Note 4 had separate protective covers, one of which was very small, covering only the lens of the camera. I wouldn't have noticed it but for a post like yours I came across.
    Omfg all this time I had the phone I never knew it was there

12-27-2014 08:59 PM
    That does help, Thank you Ken, I'll set it up over Christmas
    You can try the tapatalk app on the play store. That's how I read forums, and easily post pics via my phone.
    12-28-2014 06:57 PM
    Here are my settings:
    Flash: Off
    Auto Mode
    Exposure value: 0
    ISO: auto
    White balance: AWB Auto
    Metering modes: Center weighted
    HDR:Off
    Tap to take pics: Off
    8.0M 3264 x 2448 (4:3)

If you see anything that I should change please let me know.

Thank you
    I don't see how much difference it will make but the camera is set to "8mp" tone it up to 16mp, perhaps?

12-29-2014 07:00 AM
    This thread just made me incredibly upset. My Note 4 camera sucks compared to my Note 3 camera. I can't stabilize any shots for nothing. I don't care how many settings I change, I can't seem to take any pictures in low light, good light, and with anyone moving. I am beginning to think my phone is defective, which is going to be a pain in the keester when they only replace with refurbished. I have tried changing every setting, and I am an amateur photog. There is no stabilization with my phone!
    03-10-2015 11:03 AM
    This thread just made me incredibly upset. My Note 4 camera sucks compared to my Note 3 camera. I can't stabilize any shots for nothing. I don't care how many settings I change, I can't seem to take any pictures in low light, good light, and with anyone moving. I am beginning to think my phone is defective, which is going to be a pain in the keester when they only replace with refurbished. I have tried changing every setting, and I am an amateur photog. There is no stabilization with my phone!
    Part, if not all, of the problem, is that the resolution on the Note 4 is so high. As resolution goes up, the ability to take a good picture becomes more difficult. Your technique - e.g., holding the camera steady - becomes critical. Don't blame the phone - blame Samsung for up-ing the resolution.
    03-10-2015 12:01 PM
    Hi all,

I've seen quite a few threads about the crappy pictures the Note 4 takes. I want to be understood here. My Note 4 takes a great picture..... IF I hold it with both hands with my elbows firmly planted, lean against a wall, stop breathing and hope for the best.

It should NOT be this difficult to snap a picture that is not 100% blur and fuzz. I was to the belief that OIS prevented this from occurring without the user even thinking about it.

Am I doing something wrong? I have tried several settings, none address the issue. With my old iPhone 5S I didn't have to think about it. Point...shoot....perfect.

Thanks
    Try a 3rd party app like CameraZoomFX or the Google Camera app and see if you get better results. I don't know what it is about the Samsung cameras that they cannot hold focus. It seems like they screwed something up after the S3 and Note 2. Those 2 phones still did a much better job than the newer phones at keeping focus/locking focus in/not blurring.
    03-10-2015 12:59 PM
    Seems to work fine for me:

She's a very speedy puppy also and was definitely not standing still. I've noticed in low-light, it is most difficult though.
    03-10-2015 01:20 PM
    Also, try shooing at a lower resolution - that should help.
    03-10-2015 01:23 PM
    hey! i seem to have the same problem as you. it takes FOREVER to focus on my camera. in all settings. HDR off HDR on. 8mp 16mp. all the same it takes forever to focus. but when it finally focus on whatever im taking a picture of, its amazing. i reset all of my settings to stock(factory) and it still did the same thing. it also does the same thing on video mode. the front camera has no issue. it goes into focus rigth away. let me know what i can do. i take a ton of pix and it gets annoying when it takes 1-3min for your camera to focus. ive even tried tapping or double triple tapping on the screen on what i want focused.
    03-10-2015 03:13 PM
    also have tried the camera through apps. such as instagram and facebook. still takes awhile to focus.
    03-10-2015 03:16 PM
    My Note 4 and Note Edge both take great photos. I prefer the shots from the iPhone 6+ but not enough to get one instead of the Note 4 and Note Edge which are jack-of-all-trades, master-of-most.

📐♻from the Note Edge🔍✒
    03-10-2015 03:19 PM
51 123