10-31-2016 11:42 AM
51 123
tools
    Hi all,

I've seen quite a few threads about the crappy pictures the Note 4 takes. I want to be understood here. My Note 4 takes a great picture..... IF I hold it with both hands with my elbows firmly planted, lean against a wall, stop breathing and hope for the best.

It should NOT be this difficult to snap a picture that is not 100% blur and fuzz. I was to the belief that OIS prevented this from occurring without the user even thinking about it.

Am I doing something wrong? I have tried several settings, none address the issue. With my old iPhone 5S I didn't have to think about it. Point...shoot....perfect.

Thanks
    txlnghrn79 likes this.
    12-20-2014 12:32 PM
    OIS goes so far, and only corrects for camera movement. If you jerk the camera as it's opening the shutter, you'll probably get blur. If the subject is moving, and the exposure is long enough, you certainly will. Use the camera as if it doesn't have OIS and if there's a little movement (even with a 2" wide leg tripod 6" high, there's going to be some movement) OIS should compensate for it. A good photofrapher considers himself the best tool he has, he doesn't depend on on the camera doing anything but exposing the film or CCD.
    tclementi1 likes this.
    12-20-2014 03:22 PM
    BS. I took 3800 pictures with my s5 and maybe two or three were blurs. I've taken 200 or so pics with the note 4 and almost 1/3 are blurred.
    txlnghrn79 likes this.
    12-20-2014 03:41 PM
    OIS goes so far, and only corrects for camera movement. If you jerk the camera as it's opening the shutter, you'll probably get blur. If the subject is moving, and the exposure is long enough, you certainly will. Use the camera as if it doesn't have OIS and if there's a little movement (even with a 2" wide leg tripod 6" high, there's going to be some movement) OIS should compensate for it. A good photofrapher considers himself the best tool he has, he doesn't depend on on the camera doing anything but exposing the film or CCD.
    And that's why the feature that let's you shoot with a voice command is so great. If you don't pay attention to how light you tap the shutter button it'll make the phone move, throwing the camera out of focus.
    12-20-2014 03:54 PM
    And that's why the feature that let's you shoot with a voice command is so great. If you don't pay attention to how light you tap the shutter button it'll make the phone move, throwing the camera out of focus.
    That's the most ridiculous statement I've heard on this forum thus far.
    12-20-2014 03:57 PM
    That's the most ridiculous statement I've heard on this forum thus far.
    You don't understand how holding the phone and saying "Shoot" to take a picture would cause less shaky photos than pressing on the screen or pressing down the volume button??? Wow
    rvhs03, Joe Nunya, worwig and 1 others like this.
    12-20-2014 04:17 PM
    Alright....

I have 37 pictures in the Note 4 gallery and I just went through each one (all taken with settings at Auto) and 35 are blurry, I still have the iPhone 5S and there are 889 pictures on it. I quit looking for blurry pics after 100+ on the iPhone...

I am fairly damn certain the OIS feature is not working on my Note 4. I wonder if there is another way to verify this besides the 35 crappy pictures its taken. LOL, actually I'm not laughing.
    txlnghrn79 and GavrihlMichl like this.
    12-20-2014 05:05 PM
    You don't understand how holding the phone and saying "Shoot" to take a picture would cause less shaky photos than pressing on the screen or pressing down the volume button??? Wow
    If one has to consider how much pressure they're putting on the screen to take a pic then something is terribly wrong.
    Jastow likes this.
    12-20-2014 06:23 PM
    If one has to consider how much pressure they're putting on the screen to take a pic then something is terribly wrong.
    I'm not saying anyone really does. My Note 4 camera has been great. But maybe YOU'RE actually more shaky than you think.
    shzusuziq likes this.
    12-20-2014 06:38 PM
    Alright....

I have 37 pictures in the Note 4 gallery and I just went through each one (all taken with settings at Auto) and 35 are blurry, I still have the iPhone 5S and there are 889 pictures on it. I quit looking for blurry pics after 100+ on the iPhone...

I am fairly damn certain the OIS feature is not working on my Note 4. I wonder if there is another way to verify this besides the 35 crappy pictures its taken. LOL, actually I'm not laughing.
    Yeah sounds like something's wrong with your phone if that many are blurry.
    12-20-2014 06:39 PM
    I have found if I take a close up picture...like the cat sitting on my lap, they are blurry even if the cat barely moves. It's like the camera can't do closer up pics well.
    Outside pics are incredible and so many of the examples people are putting on here of the awesome camera are of these perfectly sunny days of a building or a car or some other distant, non movable object.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-20-2014 07:00 PM
    Exactly why do people complain about the Note 4's pictures and they never post a single picture. Not a single one, nada, none, zilch zippo! Where are the crappy pictures brothers and sisters? We will tell you exactly what you did wrong because I know the camera is great.
    12-20-2014 07:08 PM
    Just took some pics with my Note 4, all fairly close up with not-so-great lighting. They look pretty good to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Is my Optical Image Stabilization working??  Seems like it's not, terrible pictures-20141220_182332.jpg   Is my Optical Image Stabilization working??  Seems like it's not, terrible pictures-20141220_182334.jpg   Is my Optical Image Stabilization working??  Seems like it's not, terrible pictures-20141220_182623.jpg   Is my Optical Image Stabilization working??  Seems like it's not, terrible pictures-20141220_182635.jpg   Is my Optical Image Stabilization working??  Seems like it's not, terrible pictures-20141220_182852.jpg  

Is my Optical Image Stabilization working??  Seems like it's not, terrible pictures-20141220_182858.jpg  
    12-20-2014 07:31 PM
    I find the camera on my Note 4 to take great, very clear, pictures. In reviews I checked before getting the phone one thing that was highly rated was the camera - often touted as one of the best available.
    12-20-2014 07:36 PM
    I'm a professional photographer. The Note 4 camera is amazing. My best advice is to turn off HDR and use the flash if trying to capture action or moving subjects in low light.
    12-20-2014 08:08 PM
    I'm a professional photographer. The Note 4 camera is amazing. My best advice is to turn off HDR and use the flash if trying to capture action or moving subjects in low light.
    Here are my settings:
    Flash: Off
    Auto Mode
    Exposure value: 0
    ISO: auto
    White balance: AWB Auto
    Metering modes: Center weighted
    HDR:Off
    Tap to take pics: Off
    8.0M 3264 x 2448 (4:3)

If you see anything that I should change please let me know.

Thank you
    12-20-2014 10:56 PM
    Exactly why do people complain about the Note 4's pictures and they never post a single picture. Not a single one, nada, none, zilch zippo! Where are the crappy pictures brothers and sisters? We will tell you exactly what you did wrong because I know the camera is great.
    Hi Chuck,
    I've got a few pics I can post here if I knew how....I say that because I have a Macbook Air and I'm not exactly sure how to get the blurry pics from the Note 4 uploaded into the Mac so I can post them here.
    12-20-2014 11:00 PM
    Not to state the obvious but, did you take the protective covering off the lens? Sounds dumb but I didn't realize it was there at first.
    12-20-2014 11:10 PM
    Not to state the obvious but, did you take the protective covering off the lens? Sounds dumb but I didn't realize it was there at first.
    Yeah, it sounds silly but is easy to do. If I recall correctly, my new Note 4 had separate protective covers, one of which was very small, covering only the lens of the camera. I wouldn't have noticed it but for a post like yours I came across.
    12-20-2014 11:25 PM
    Yeah, it sounds silly but is easy to do. If I recall correctly, my new Note 4 had separate protective covers, one of which was very small, covering only the lens of the camera. I wouldn't have noticed it but for a post like yours I came across.
    Same for me...I only noticed it after reading a thread like this one.
    12-21-2014 12:30 AM
    Hi Chuck,
    I've got a few pics I can post here if I knew how....I say that because I have a Macbook Air and I'm not exactly sure how to get the blurry pics from the Note 4 uploaded into the Mac so I can post them here.
    Lots of ways to do that:
    1. Google+ auto upload feature uploads to your Google+ account
    2. Dropbox auto upload feature does the same thing, but uploads to your dropbox, which you can sync to your Mac
    3. Get Airdroid in the Play Store. It allows you to get into your phone from your Mac via wifi and you can transfer your photos that way. And its FREE.
    4. Wifi File Explorer Pro does the same thing as Airdroid, but it's not as pretty and costs $1
    5. Android File Transfer application on Mac. Install it, plug in phone via USB, the app will automatically launch and let you into the folder structure of the phone. It works fine on AT&T version of the Note 4.

I've used all of these on the Note 4 (except Wifi File Explorer...used to use that on my GS3), and they all work fine.

Hope that helps!
    64fairlane likes this.
    12-21-2014 02:17 AM
    Bingo. HDR is not great for moving objects. I also believe the OIS feature doesn't work in all MP modes. I consistently take better pictures in 16:9 mode with HDR off than any 4:3 mode with HDR on or off.

Posted via Android Central App
    12-21-2014 10:36 AM
    I have not taken all that many pictures yet, like maybe 30 or so and every single one with HDR on and at highest resolution.
    Most outside and so far not one is blurry in anyway.

The camera on this phone is outstanding.

For those having problems it is either a setting that is screwing you up or a defective phone
    12-21-2014 12:13 PM
    Phone takes crazy low light shots. Simple as that. Tho its software based problems not hardware. The camera is poor for shots with less than good lighting.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-21-2014 12:54 PM
    Actually, the flash won't help much, as it's a continuous-light flash (LED), not a flash tube. A conventional flash exposes for a small fraction of a second, but the LED flash on a camera phone actually exposes for a relatively-long time (1/8 second??), which won't help camera movement.

Great suggestion about the HDR - I suspect most people turn it on ALL the time, which is a REALLY bad idea!
    12-21-2014 04:35 PM
51 123