01-01-2015 10:51 AM
124 12345
tools
    I seriously find that hard to believe ...
    I'm sorry. Maybe someday you'll have to call and talk to a few people in Customer Service and you'll see how wide of a range of responses you can get from people. Life experiences will help you to believe the unbelievable in time, especially when dealing with billion dollar corporations.
    12-26-2014 10:17 AM
    I tried to go back to my iPhone 6 after a month with the Note 4 and I lasted <24 hours. Historically I've always gone back to an iPhone after using an Android for a week or two. The iPhone 6 now seems too puny to me and hard to type on! Plus I love being able to change the look of my phone with Nova whenever I want. I get sick of looking at the same thing all the time on the iPhone. It does have a great camera though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    12-26-2014 12:55 PM
    I seriously considered it for a hot second when I saw an amazing HDR pic where he zoomed in and the level of detail was amazing! I couldn't replicate that on my Note using HDR.
    12-26-2014 01:20 PM
    I look forward to having both the Note 4 and an iPhone 5s/6/6+. The iPhone does offer simplicity and sometimes that can be just what the Dr. ordered (that's just a bad excuse I know). I like to have 2 phones, plain and simple. Variety. Whether that 2nd phone should be a Lumia 1020/1520 or iPhone will take further consideration.

from the IV
    Denisej likes this.
    12-26-2014 01:29 PM
    I seriously considered it for a hot second when I saw an amazing HDR pic where he zoomed in and the level of detail was amazing! I couldn't replicate that on my Note using HDR.
    You are saying the level of detail was higher and better than what you could get on the Note4?

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-26-2014 01:48 PM
    You are saying the level of detail was higher and better than what you could get on the Note4?

Perhaps the HDR results just made it seem so to her eye.

from the IV
    12-26-2014 02:12 PM
    I love my Note 4, don't get me wrong but sometimes the lag/freezing/glitchiness gets frustrating. Like now, im writing this and the phone just pauses for a good 3 seconds, then unleashes a fury of words that gotten left behind lls...Unlock gitches, camera glitches etc...and it definitely isnt just mines, forums all around complain about the same.

Enable developer options on your phone and then in there check the 'Force GPU rendering' box. This will fix 98% of your lag issues (I don't have an SD card on my phone, not sure if that factors in any way but it shouldn't). This might cost you slightly in the battery life dept but I haven't really noticed a big difference.

12-26-2014 02:49 PM
    I have not considered going back to an iPhone for a second. Gave them every opportunity to retain my device business and they simply did not measure up.

As for the whole "it just works thing"...even that IMO is a thing of the past. Jobs must be turning in his grave by now.

Yosemite as the latest OS for their computers is as near a disaster as I have seen in over ten years of owning Macs. iTunes 11.4 fell flat on its face, forcing many into Yosemite just to get to iTunes 12. People who have gotten Macs with Yosemite installed are desperate to dump it and can't because of rigid controls Apple exercises over everything Apple whether a computer or a device.

I will stick with my Apple computers. But if they don't fix Yosemite soon I am going to back down to Mavericks which was no great shakes either and I have totally abandoned Apple for mobile devices. Would only consider those again at the point of a gun.
    12-26-2014 02:58 PM
    I have not considered going back to an iPhone for a second. Gave them every opportunity to retain my device business and they simply did not measure up.

As for the whole "it just works thing"...even that IMO is a thing of the past. Jobs must be turning in his grave by now.

Yosemite as the latest OS for their computers is as near a disaster as I have seen in over ten years of owning Macs. iTunes 11.4 fell flat on its face, forcing many into Yosemite just to get to iTunes 12. People who have gotten Macs with Yosemite installed are desperate to dump it and can't because of rigid controls Apple exercises over everything Apple whether a computer or a device.

I will stick with my Apple computers. But if they don't fix Yosemite soon I am going to back down to Mavericks which was no great shakes either and I have totally abandoned Apple for mobile devices. Would only consider those again at the point of a gun.
    I know this is not the forum for that but as one historically interested in Macs it's interesting to read that perspective. Wasn't aware there was widespread dislove for their latest OS.

from the IV
    12-26-2014 03:01 PM
    In my case I held off and held off on a new mobile device waiting to see what iPhone 6 and 6+ had to offer. 6+ is just an overgrown smartphone IMO. An iPhone with more screen real estate and that is about it. That again is just not good enough going on 2015 IMO. Fine for those that just want a mobile phone with a few Smartphone features but if you are ready for anything beyond that, the iPhone will likely disappoint.

As for the computer OS issues, I think they have been very painful for those of us who are Mac vets and remember the days of near flawless performance. Painful for new users wondering what the heck all the wonder they have been hearing about from Mac users was all about. It has been a slow deterioration over two OS. Mavericks was not bad but not classic Apple flawless either. Yosemite is just flat terrible if you ask me and others as well. Only those who continue to overdose on the Apple Koolaid are not leveling some amount of criticism at Yosemite.

Often an OS upgrade will have some issues on a maker's older computers and that is to be expected at least within reason. The issues with Yosemite go far beyond reasonable. However, people are struggling with brand new Macs with Yosemite preloaded as the base OS coming with the computer. That is truly alarming.
    12-26-2014 03:23 PM
    I use an iPad for work and will soon start using an iPhone as well, it does not in the very least interest me to have one of those as my personal device. I understand how someone who doesn't really want to customize their smartphone experience would want an iPhone but I for one, can not just use a phone as is, I need to make it my own. And for that there is no better option than Android.

Yes, the Galaxy Note 4 can be a little laggy and the UI leaves a little bit to be desired but that's why I bought a t-mobile note 4. I have rooted and ROM'd it and now it is the best device I have ever had. I understand people don't want to have to do that, for those people I would recommend something like a nexus 6 or something that is a little bit less skinned if they still want a customizable experience. For my mom and others who just don't really want to mess with it at all, they just want it to work out of the box, then I do recommend an iPhone.

12-26-2014 05:46 PM
    If you just change the launcher you'll likely not see anything that could be remotely mistaken for lagg.

from the IV
    mumfoau likes this.
    12-26-2014 05:52 PM
    If you just change the launcher you'll likely not see anything that could be remotely mistaken for lagg.

from the IV
    That doesn't fix stutters or frame drops within apps or the second or two that it takes to show up the recent apps, etc. My Nexus 7 is much smoother out of the box. Until I forced GPU rendering the lag bothered me so much that I was gonna return this thing for a Moto X (2014) or a Nexus 6. It's still a little slow to bring up recent apps but muuuuch better everywhere else.

12-26-2014 07:12 PM
    Perhaps I need to focus on looking for the lag a bit more. I've not noticed any.

from the IV
    12-26-2014 10:24 PM
    I made "the switch" about a year ago. Look what I am back on now. The first thing that you will miss is the freedom you get with android. Apple iPhone is a smart phone for dumb people. If all you do is use your phone for Facebook and texting then you will be happy using a limited device.

Posted via Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    12-26-2014 10:54 PM
    If you've only been using Samsung/Touchwiz devices you probably won't know what most people are talking about, are used to it, or just aren't bothered by it. Use a Moto X or a Nexus 5, 6, or 7 and then go back to your TW device to see what people mean when they say these devices lag or stutter. Not to say TW is lag all the time, it just crops up here and there is all.

12-26-2014 10:59 PM
    Unless Apple overhaul their whole OS and give us some customisation and features i wont go near an iPhone.
    12-26-2014 11:10 PM
    If you've only been using Samsung/Touchwiz devices you probably won't know what most people are talking about, are used to it, or just aren't bothered by it. Use a Moto X or a Nexus 5, 6, or 7 and then go back to your TW device to see what people mean when they say these devices lag or stutter.

My computer lags a bit too. Things don't launch immediately. It takes a second or so for apps to fire up. Doesn't bother me either.

from the G Pad 7
    gregg6942 likes this.
    12-26-2014 11:12 PM
    Unless Apple overhaul their whole OS and give us some customisation and features i wont go near an iPhone.
    My thoughts exactly I'm fine with paying more for a better product and that's why I've chosen Samsung. Yeah TW sucks so what ? I put Nova, Apex over it root it and once stuff like Sweet ROM is available for international versions I'll just flash it.

That's the beauty of Android you can really make the device yours, Apple is a walled garden and their only benefit over Os like Wp is that they have more apps and that's about it.

So as long as Apple has arrogant brats like Schiller, Cook and their our device - our rules philosophy I'm not going to touch an I-whatever. As for desktop it's not even in consideration if I'm paying a premium sum for my desktop I want to decide which stuff goes in there (including the CASE!) and built from scratch instead of having a $ 2.500 toy that can't be expended but yeah it looks nice...Which it really doesn't.

Is Android perfect ? No, no OS is but thanks to the open source developers have and will continue to improve it steadily plus I love customization so yeah never thought about switching. In terms of mobile phone I wouldn't even consider a phone without a removable battery, expandable storage no matter which OS so that leaves Samsung and LG as the only two options
    torana355 likes this.
    12-26-2014 11:24 PM
    If you've only been using Samsung/Touchwiz devices you probably won't know what most people are talking about, are used to it, or just aren't bothered by it. Use a Moto X or a Nexus 5, 6, or 7 and then go back to your TW device to see what people mean when they say these devices lag or stutter. Not to say TW is lag all the time, it just crops up here and there is all.

I came back to Samsung after 2.5 years or so and probably around 20 phones later and I still don't see real lag on my phone! I came from a iPhone 6 and also that phone had lags time to time. Its normal for a PC, tablet, phone etc to lag/freeze a little from time to time! (A hiccup)

I like my note 4 way more then I liked my iPhone 6.

12-27-2014 05:22 AM
    I came back to Samsung after 2.5 years or so and probably around 20 phones later and I still don't see real lag on my phone! I came from a iPhone 6 and also that phone had lags time to time. Its normal for a PC, tablet, phone etc to lag/freeze a little from time to time! (A hiccup)

I like my note 4 way more then I liked my iPhone 6.

"real lag" quoted from your post. That's what I've always noticed about people who claim no lag. The lag is there, it's just not severe enough for many to notice or care. It's not terrible, but it is there. It didn't bother me too much so I had been using my Note 4 without romming it until recently. I wish I had done this right out of the box. Now my phone flies. TRUE ZERO LAG

12-27-2014 10:34 AM
    "real lag" quoted from your post. That's what I've always noticed about people who claim no lag. The lag is there, it's just not severe enough for many to notice or care. It's not terrible, but it is there. It didn't bother me too much so I had been using my Note 4 without romming it until recently. I wish I had done this right out of the box. Now my phone flies. TRUE ZERO LAG

Trust me, when I'll play with that ROM a few days I'll see hiccups. Could be in a regular app or on the browser. Its always there even in a 5K computer..

12-27-2014 10:57 AM
    I have several friends that have switched over to the iPhones in the last couple of years - after having them for a while, the only time they brag about them is to bust my chops. In general conversations, a couple of them miss Android in general and I actually caught a few of them drooling since I got my Note 4. EVERY phone/Operating System has bugs... just be patient!
    12-27-2014 01:07 PM
    What constitutes notable lag? High performance microcomputers have more lag than most of the slowest of smartphones but we don't spend a lot of time discussing that as a people. One perspective offered is that with features and capability come what you are calling lag. Not sure how much I agree with that opine. So, how many microseconds constitutes notable lag? How many microseconds are acceptable? Seems somewhat subjective. Food for thought.

from the IV
    12-27-2014 01:41 PM
    To me lag constitutes not keeping up with my input in one way or another. If I have to wait on my phone I call that lag.

12-27-2014 02:16 PM
124 12345