01-01-2015 10:51 AM
124 ... 345
tools
    Awesome! Would love suggestions on ways to upload videos to my wife's ipad without having to use iTunes.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    There are tons of them in the App store. Here's one of them.

Pocket Drive + by SIS d.o.o.
    https://appsto.re/us/s1lfU.I

muzzy996 likes this.
    12-29-2014 11:56 AM
    My wife just migrated from her old Android phone (LG Lucid 2) to an iPhone, and is overjoyed. She could never figure out how to operate the Android, though to give her credit the Lucid was one of the very worst examples on the market.

She went to a 1-hour seminar on how to use the iPhone and now is actually using her smartphone - different strokes for different folks, as what she likes in a phone is very different from my own preferences. But I'm really glad she found something she likes and will use effectively.
    12-29-2014 12:04 PM
    There are tons of them in the App store. Here's one of them.

Pocket Drive + by SIS d.o.o.
    https://appsto.re/us/s1lfU.I

Thanks for this, may come in very handy. Quick question, after pulling files over to the pocket drive application on the device is the user able to open the files from outside of the application or are the files held within the pocket drive application's secured storage? Just wondering what to expect ; for example the music files the person in the video put into his device seemed to play in a built in media player but he didn't show them in his main music application's library.

12-29-2014 12:18 PM
    Thanks for this, may come in very handy. Quick question, after pulling files over to the pocket drive application on the device is the user able to open the files from outside of the application or are the files held within the pocket drive application's secured storage? Just wondering what to expect ; for example the music files the person in the video put into his device seemed to play in a built in media player but he didn't show them in his main music application's library.

All files transferred into the app are secured in the app which you can set password protection or use TouchiD.
    muzzy996 likes this.
    12-29-2014 12:22 PM
    The only phone that i have ever used that is almost 100% lag free is the HTC One M8. iPhone will not be your saviour OP.
    12-29-2014 05:02 PM
    I just got a Motorola X (to keep my Note 4 company). It is surprisingly smooth but the screen is not as wonderful as the Note 4's.

from the IV
    12-29-2014 07:35 PM
    I've been a long time iphone user bf a nexus 5 which I only used for a month bf going back to my iPhone. Why bc after all of the "openess" when it came time to perform vital tasks it was less polished and smooth. The final straw was when I used my lg tone bluetooth headset the iPhone performed much better than the nexus. How can a phone made by lg and a headset made by lg perform worst than an iphone? Software. Now that I'm on the note 4 most problems are gone but it's still unpolished. The only reason it performs well is bc of the power of the cpu to throttle thru. I will jump back to iPhone in a heartbeat if it offered a stylus and multi window. A replaceable battery would seal the deal.

What ive found in switching is the fan boyism found in the android community. There are alternatives to iTunes and honestly it isn't that bad. Especially with jailbreak. I'm always surprised to see how fan boys and media delight in seeing apple stumble (bendgate) but take android problems as if it's no big deal. Like the TW lag. People buy it knowing how laggy it is and live with it hoping maybe it will be fixed with an update in the future. Or the answer to androids shortcoming can be fixed with rooting. Rooting is becoming more difficult and eventually will be very rare.

This is what android is to me:
    An iphone is a s55 amg. Refined powerful luxurious does everything it is intended to do.
    An android is a chevy impala with custom leather interior that you buy from an upholstery shop. Audio from a car audio shop. Engine from a hot rod shop. Suspension upgraded with aftermarket race hardware. And large chrome wheels from a wheel shop. Also a custom paint job from a paint shop. All else equal with the same budget. The impala will be faster in the qtr mile have custom interior that can be any color scheme you want. And will let your neighbor know you like to drop the bass. Have people in the hood ready to steal your rims. On paper everything should be better than the s55 amg.
    But how long before the interior falls apart. Paint starts to chip. Speakers blow out, suspension craps out due to the enormous wheels. Squeeks and rattles appear. And also good luck replacing parts on the hotrod motor. And the chiropractic bill due to the stiff suspension.

If you are into cars you know exactly what I'm trying to say. Yeah your supercharged impala can beat me from red light to red light. But I get to ride in my s55 amg where everything works as a unified system. Not a patchwork of kits stitched together. Fragmentation is what kills. Google knows this, which is the reasoning they are locking down more aspects of android. Also not committing to sdcard.
    12-29-2014 09:07 PM
    I've been a long time iphone user bf a nexus 5 which I only used for a month bf going back to my iPhone. Why bc after all of the "openess" when it came time to perform vital tasks it was less polished and smooth. The final straw was when I used my lg tone bluetooth headset the iPhone performed much better than the nexus. How can a phone made by lg and a headset made by lg perform worst than an iphone? Software. Now that I'm on the note 4 most problems are gone but it's still unpolished. The only reason it performs well is bc of the power of the cpu to throttle thru. I will jump back to iPhone in a heartbeat if it offered a stylus and multi window. A replaceable battery would seal the deal.

What ive found in switching is the fan boyism found in the android community. There are alternatives to iTunes and honestly it isn't that bad. Especially with jailbreak. I'm always surprised to see how fan boys and media delight in seeing apple stumble (bendgate) but take android problems as if it's no big deal. Like the TW lag. People buy it knowing how laggy it is and live with it hoping maybe it will be fixed with an update in the future. Or the answer to androids shortcoming can be fixed with rooting. Rooting is becoming more difficult and eventually will be very rare.

This is what android is to me:
    An iphone is a s55 amg. Refined powerful luxurious does everything it is intended to do.
    An android is a chevy impala with custom leather interior that you buy from an upholstery shop. Audio from a car audio shop. Engine from a hot rod shop. Suspension upgraded with aftermarket race hardware. And large chrome wheels from a wheel shop. Also a custom paint job from a paint shop. All else equal with the same budget. The impala will be faster in the qtr mile have custom interior that can be any color scheme you want. And will let your neighbor know you like to drop the bass. Have people in the hood ready to steal your rims. On paper everything should be better than the s55 amg.
    But how long before the interior falls apart. Paint starts to chip. Speakers blow out, suspension craps out due to the enormous wheels. Squeeks and rattles appear. And also good luck replacing parts on the hotrod motor. And the chiropractic bill due to the stiff suspension.

If you are into cars you know exactly what I'm trying to say. Yeah your supercharged impala can beat me from red light to red light. But I get to ride in my s55 amg where everything works as a unified system. Not a patchwork of kits stitched together.
    Interesting perspective. ...but, TBH, I'd rather liken Android to a rodded out Camara, Mustang, or 370Z. Impala? That was just mean.

from the IV
    12-29-2014 09:12 PM
    Nothing wrong with hot rods as long as you know how to tune them . . . rooting goes beyond tuning though, opening the doors to things beyond what other devices can do out of the box. Location awareness for example . .
    12-29-2014 09:32 PM
    Interesting perspective. ...but, TBH, I'd rather liken Android to a rodded out Camara, Mustang, or 370Z. Impala? That was just mean.

from the IV
    Well I was keeping it a comparison between sedans.
    My point is that yeah hotrod are nice I would love to own a rally spec sti that is capable of jumping speed bumps. But as a daily driver it gets old pretty fast. In my younger years I dumped too much money into my cars to make it better than the next and take pride in stomping on the gas to beat the m3 in a turbo civic. But now I realized I could have just saved my money and be in an m5 now.
    Your car is not that great if you have to adjust the carb and tighten the header bolts each weekend. Nevermind driving out of state.
    12-29-2014 10:17 PM
    Nothing wrong with hot rods as long as you know how to tune them . . . rooting goes beyond tuning though, opening the doors to things beyond what other devices can do out of the box. Location awareness for example . .
    I think this is a fallacy that most average users fall into (not saying this ab you). Yes it can do all these things. But to have the ability to keep my phone unlocked while at home or office does not make it worth it to have to wait for my keyboard to catchup with my keystroke. Or pressing the wrong icon because recent app button lags. Therefore I fall into a loop of recent app no recent app. The main thing that I think a lot of android users do not know about, is the fact that I can have multiple bluetooth devices connected to my iPhone. I can choose to send audio to any connected device without pairing and unpairing. Also att note4 sucks at repairing bluetooth and also gps lag. Quality control of iphone is far superior to any android device.

I type all this on my note 4. So I'm not trolling. It just seems to me that people give a blind eye to android shortcomings and also a lot of excuses. What we need to do is demand better quality. Which I think is slowly happening. I predict in 2 to 3 more years the gap bt ios and android will be tiny. The only divide is the patents of respective manufacturer.
    muzzy996 likes this.
    12-29-2014 10:31 PM
    Maybe most Android users don't care because the cons far outweigh the pros? From what I've seen and read it seems like the fluent navigation only happens as long as people are using apple and non third party apps.

Looking at stuff like the note or alpha series, xperia and HTC line and is clear to me that some Android manufacturers are at least on pair in terms of quality, when it comes to features it isn't even close. I need my high priced devices to become mine not something that the three brats Schiller, Cook and Yves think MY device should be! BTW. I haven't seen Note users going to an apple forum and starting a thread about their device, judging by a lot of comments is clear who the fanboys are.

For me a smartphone is more than a toy just like my desktop is a working machine not some closed down nice looking overpriced and cheaply built (for the pricetag) fashion machine. I've respected Jobs, Woziak but that stupid hype and permanent discussion about that brand is getting old and boring...Reminds me a bit of Beats... Subpar audio quality, lacking quality control but tons of marketing and paid reviews. For that pricetag I can get far superior masterpieces from Audio Technica, Sennheiser and even Bose

Every os had and always will have shortcomings we as users are just choosing the one we like best and so far the combination of Samsung and Android is really working or for me so no need - to get back to the question - for making a switch. You've already said you are jumping back so good luck
    12-29-2014 11:10 PM
    I think this is a fallacy that most average users fall into (not saying this ab you). Yes it can do all these things. But to have the ability to keep my phone unlocked while at home or office does not make it worth it to have to wait for my keyboard to catchup with my keystroke. Or pressing the wrong icon because recent app button lags. Therefore I fall into a loop of recent app no recent app. The main thing that I think a lot of android users do not know about, is the fact that I can have multiple bluetooth devices connected to my iPhone. I can choose to send audio to any connected device without pairing and unpairing. Also att note4 sucks at repairing bluetooth and also gps lag. Quality control of iphone is far superior to any android device.

I type all this on my note 4. So I'm not trolling. It just seems to me that people give a blind eye to android shortcomings and also a lot of excuses. What we need to do is demand better quality. Which I think is slowly happening. I predict in 2 to 3 more years the gap bt ios and android will be tiny. The only divide is the patents of respective manufacturer.
    I think "Android's shortcomings" come in the way of poor skinning and programming by device manufacturers more than anything else. Having played around with numerous ROMs for years it's clear to me that the potential for greatness is there. Its unfortunate that there's the recent applications lag on the Note 4 (it doesn't bother me, I've never been a recent apps menu user, I use SwitchR since its faster) but that's not Android's fault it's Samsung's. I don't have keyboard issues on my Note 4. I don't have the need for simultaneous bluetooth audio devices though so I can't speak towards that . . I have no issues with bluetooth though.

I totally hear you though, and I more often than not recommend iPhones to people because they simply work well out of the box for most users.

As for location awareness that I mentioned it goes far beyond the unlocked while at home or work as you described. It's not just geographic location but awareness based on net states (wifi, bluetooth etc.) and the combinations of these things that can really open things up. For example firing up my favorite media player when I connect to my car's bluetooth. . . or reading texts out loud to me ONLY while I'm driving . . or auto replying to text messages ONLY while I'm driving . . or turning off sync if I'm sitting at my desk and turning it back on when I leave my office or if I charge my device . . or going to silent mode based on keywords in calendar events . . I've been gone from iOS far too long to know if this kind of macro scripting is possible with jailbreak so I can't say whether or not it can be done on iPhones but I wouldn't be surprised if it could.

BTW i love your car analogies LOL. I know what you mean . . . A couple years ago I pondered getting a Subaru BRZ to tinker with . . intended to drop a turbo upgrade into it. Decided against it since I have no time for car tuning and picked up a 335i M-Sport instead. Much nicer daily driver with no maintenance worries LOL. Much higher monthly too though LOL.
    12-30-2014 12:11 AM
    We
    I think "Android's shortcomings" come in the way of poor skinning and programming by device manufacturers more than anything else. Having played around with numerous ROMs for years it's clear to me that the potential for greatness is there. Its unfortunate that there's the recent applications lag on the Note 4 (it doesn't bother me, I've never been a recent apps menu user, I use SwitchR since its faster) but that's not Android's fault it's Samsung's. I don't have keyboard issues on my Note 4. I don't have the need for simultaneous bluetooth audio devices though so I can't speak towards that . . I have no issues with bluetooth though.

I totally hear you though, and I more often than not recommend iPhones to people because they simply work well out of the box for most users.

BTW i love your car analogies LOL. I know what you mean . . . A couple years ago I pondered getting a Subaru BRZ to tinker with . . intended to drop a turbo upgrade into it. Decided against it since I have no time for car tuning and picked up a 335i M-Sport instead. Much nicer daily driver with no maintenance worries LOL. Much higher monthly too though LOL.
    Wow thank you so much for that tip with Switchr that's one heck of an app

Personally I've already recommended all 4 os (Android, Ios, Blackberry 7, Windows phone). A very good friend of mine for example doesn't need much apps, specs or phone tinkering she cares more about the look and accessories so I've recommended the Iphone 4 and she still loves it and will upgrade the 5s. My mother went from Nokia to android because she knows that's the os I can help here the most with aso..

To me this proves 1 thing choice is great and as long as everyone can have the perfect device os for his own needs things are fine for me.

As far as cars well there's 1 Maybach (Vertu) and lots of Ferraris with different board computers and automatic (ios, wp) or manual engines (Android, Blackberry 7).
    12-30-2014 12:44 AM
    Yeah I carry both a nexus 4 and a note 4. I think I may replace the nexus with an iPhone later next year.

12-30-2014 01:29 AM
    Yeah I carry both a nexus 4 and a note 4. I think I may replace the nexus with an iPhone later next year.

I'll soon carry the note 4 and my so far daily driver the blackberry bold 9900. Never thought I would have interest in the edge bit after a friend showed me this thing I'm at least going to check it out longer now still doubt I'll choose it over the note though
    12-30-2014 02:09 AM
    I'll soon carry the note 4 and my so far daily driver the blackberry bold 9900. Never thought I would have interest in the edge bit after a friend showed me this thing I'm at least going to check it out longer now still doubt I'll choose it over the note though
    Likewise. I have zero interest in the edge. That curved screen just doesn't entice me at all.
    12-30-2014 10:55 AM
    I have a friend who is switching only cause her family members have it.
    This is where I am. In the last few months I've gone from G2 to M8 to Moto X '14 to 5S to 6 and now the 6 Plus and now, I REALLY want to try the Note 4! But, because most of my family have iPhones things are just easier with me having one also.
    12-30-2014 12:06 PM
    Likewise. I have zero interest in the edge. That curved screen just doesn't entice me at all.
    What a great freaking experience two devices people are wasting time with useful questions such as does this have a spen look at the damn phone! And let people who want to try it do their thing. Was able to play around with it for a whole 4 minute so I couldn't try all the panels, the gadget panel is a gimmick especially the ruler although the recent app panel is really nice and navigation is easy but the screen seems to be not as bright as the one in the 4 and the build is a two etched sword :

It looks extremely nice but once in hand the Note feels better and more premium maybe because it isn't as wide . Would have loved to ask some questions about the material, future panels etc.. Maybe on Friday also 1! Case which doesn't protect the edge...
    12-30-2014 12:25 PM

The same attitude of accepting quirky device behavior exists on iMore. There are things that aggravate me about iOS that I realize may not aggravate other people, but the attitude that I get from the iMore forums are that iOS does this the "right" way and I should get used to it. Things like the devices powering on when plugged in to charge (I realize that Android devices are the only phones/tablets that don't do this) and requiring that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth both be set to "on" in order to use mobile hotspot on an iOS device.

I own several Android devices including several Samsung devices, some of which are not rooted and run the Touchwiz launcher. I don't notice any lag on my Note 4. This is from someone that also uses a Nexus 5 on a daily basis so according to some people, I should notice a difference when I use the Note 4 but I don't. Even if I did, I don't measure my life in nanoseconds, so it wouldn't matter to me anyway.
    12-30-2014 12:44 PM

People complain about lag all the time in TW. There are threads here and XDA about it. For any phone there are going to be those that complain about xyz and those that don't see it or those that are so faithful that they bash anyone that say something against it. My boyfriend loves iTunes. I hate it. I don't use it on my iPad and don't plan ever to. But I also have complaints on my note and nexus 6. Everything has it's pluses and minuses and all things have their fanboys
    muzzy996 likes this.
    12-30-2014 02:05 PM
    No way, i don't believe in downgrading.

Posted via the Android Central App
    TheDonJ77 likes this.
    12-30-2014 02:25 PM
    I bought an iPhone when they were first released, and had iPhones up to the 4. I liked them a lot. It was a really neat new world to open up - games and productivity apps and all kinds of useful things that "just worked" out of the box. I swore at the time I wouldn't try another platform.

I did end up trying the Windows Phone platform, both for 7 with a Samsung Focus (and to be honest, I hated that phone and swore I'd never buy another Samsung due to cheap build quality) and 8/8.1 with a Lumia 920 and then a 1020 when the 920's battery crapped out - and I swore off Qi charging. The 1020 took beautiful pictures, but it did so like it did everything else - slowly. Cortana is a terrific personal assistant, but the app story was abysmal. When apps came to WP, if they came at all, they were feature-incomplete, buggy, and slow. App switching / graveyarding was terrible. I spent a lot of time staring at the "Resuming..." screen for apps I had only switched away from moments before. I have a new bus commute that really highlighted to me just how painful the 1020 was to use on a daily basis, so I went looking for another phone. There's no new WP flagships anywhere on the horizon, so I decided to branch out.

I considered an iPhone 6 or 6+ briefly, because I had experience with the platform and a prior investment in the ecosystem. However, the 5th-gen iPod Touch I have has a considerable amount of lag and I'd heard bad things about trying to upgrade it to iOS 8. The iOS 8 horror stories in general were enough to make me pause, as was the amount of money required for a handset that had enough storage in it to be usable for me.

So I started looking at Android, after my husband got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4. I found I didn't hate the interface as much as everyone told me I would. It grew on me pretty quickly. I looked at phones that had the features I was looking for - expandable storage, an AMOLED screen (I miss the Nokia Glance screen, and DynamicNotifications comes somewhat close but still doesn't get me all the way there, but the trade-off is worth it), and a decent camera. On AT&T, the Note 4 was the only phone I could consider.

Overall I'm very happy with my choice. Some things make me nervous, like GPS being spotty, but the speed and responsiveness of the device, the much better app selection (though that's a low bar to clear, coming from WP), the gorgeousness of the display, the ability to tweak settings "just so", and the amazing S-Pen are all fantastic. I will also say that if I had not read specifically from various reviews that this phone no longer had the "cheap Samsung feel" I would not have gotten it. It's a premium phone that actually feels premium, and I appreciate that.
    Rmedy21, TheDonJ77 and salmanahmad like this.
    12-31-2014 05:43 PM
    I switched from iPhone 6 Plus to Galaxy Note Edge and I have no regrets. For me, neither phone is perfect but the Edge has fewer cons. Unlike most people I'm not a fan of Apple's hardware design. I just bought my partner an iMac for Christmas and I see the emphasis on style over practicality. For example the iMac has all the ports on the back, which isn't convenient at all but allows for Apple's minimalistic look. I don't like that choice. With the iPhone 6 Plus they tried to make it as thin and sleek as possible and also make it look similar to previous iPhones. The result is the phone is unnecessarily thin, smooth and rounded; it's like they designed it to fall out of the user's hand. I would has textured the metal on the back to make it easier to grip but that practical modification would probably make Apple users apoplectic. Apple designers moved the power button from the top to the side of the phone without realizing that it makes it very easy to accidentally squeeze the volume buttons when turning off the screen, a design flaw that Nokia smartly avoided by placing all the buttons on one side. Then there is Apple's refusal to have a physical back button. Anyone who has used Android or Windows Phone knows that a back button makes practical sense but Apple insists on software solutions which don't really work as well. My next gripe is no removable storage which forced me to spend $950 to get enough internal storage for my needs and which I consider a rip off. Next gripe is the useless space above the screen. Unlike current trends to minimize bezels and maximize screen, iPhone 6 Plus has a relatively huge bezel on the top and bottom. The bottom bezel is necessary for the home button but the top is obviously to make this iPhone thinner and appear more like previous iPhones, neither being an advantage in my estimation. The one hardware choice of the iPhone 6 I really like is the fingerprint scanner, which works perfectly 99% of the time and is just amazing.

Apple's software works well. I didn't have an problems with lag, although there were a few apps that crashed when initialized. IPhone 6 Plus performance was more reliable than the Edge, which does have occasional brief lag. If you like the iPhone UI and don't really care about customizing the phone then iPhone will satisfy but I found the experience to be boring, particularly after coming from Windows Phone. IPhone is like having Windows Phone app list but without the live tiles or the alphabetical order. I think anyone coming from Android who enjoys having the freedom to "play" with their phone will find iPhone rigid. If there is something you don't like about iPhone you don't change it, you just learn to live with it. In contrast I wasn't thrilled with Samsung's UI but then I downloaded Aviate and now I'm happy.

As I said, no phone is perfect and there are trade offs no matter what you choose. I know part of my sour Apple experience was the result of my expectations. As a Windows Phone user I had heard from tech reviewers and friends how using an iPhone was amazing, "the best phone on the planet" according to writers at The Verge, and when I switched I expected to have a great phone experience but I realized that, for me, Windows Phone is a better phone experience but iPhone has the better APP experience. Android and the Edge are complete different experiences because the Edge seems like a small tablet that happens to make phone calls. It all depends on what you like but in my experience the grass isn't always greener under the Apple tree.
    01-01-2015 10:51 AM
124 ... 345