Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Has anybody though about making "The switch"?

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Has anybody though about making "The switch"?

I use an iPad for work and will soon start using an iPhone as well, it does not in the very least interest me to have one of those as my personal device. I understand how someone who doesn't really want to customize their smartphone experience would want an iPhone but I for one, can not just use a phone as is, I need to make it my own. And for that there is no better option than Android.

Yes, the Galaxy Note 4 can be a little laggy and the UI leaves a little bit to be desired but that's why I bought a t-mobile note 4. I have rooted and ROM'd it and now it is the best device I have ever had. I understand people don't want to have to do that, for those people I would recommend something like a nexus 6 or something that is a little bit less skinned if they still want a customizable experience. For my mom and others who just don't really want to mess with it at all, they just want it to work out of the box, then I do recommend an iPhone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

If you just change the launcher you'll likely not see anything that could be remotely mistaken for lagg.

from the IV

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

If you just change the launcher you'll likely not see anything that could be remotely mistaken for lagg.

from the IV

That doesn't fix stutters or frame drops within apps or the second or two that it takes to show up the recent apps, etc. My Nexus 7 is much smoother out of the box. Until I forced GPU rendering the lag bothered me so much that I was gonna return this thing for a Moto X (2014) or a Nexus 6. It's still a little slow to bring up recent apps but muuuuch better everywhere else.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Perhaps I need to focus on looking for the lag a bit more. I've not noticed any.

from the IV

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site

I made "the switch" about a year ago. Look what I am back on now. The first thing that you will miss is the freedom you get with android. Apple iPhone is a smart phone for dumb people. If all you do is use your phone for Facebook and texting then you will be happy using a limited device.

Posted via Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
If you've only been using Samsung/Touchwiz devices you probably won't know what most people are talking about, are used to it, or just aren't bothered by it. Use a Moto X or a Nexus 5, 6, or 7 and then go back to your TW device to see what people mean when they say these devices lag or stutter. Not to say TW is lag all the time, it just crops up here and there is all.

Last edited:

torana355

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

Unless Apple overhaul their whole OS and give us some customisation and features i wont go near an iPhone.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

If you've only been using Samsung/Touchwiz devices you probably won't know what most people are talking about, are used to it, or just aren't bothered by it. Use a Moto X or a Nexus 5, 6, or 7 and then go back to your TW device to see what people mean when they say these devices lag or stutter.

My computer lags a bit too. Things don't launch immediately. It takes a second or so for apps to fire up. Doesn't bother me either.

from the G Pad 7

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

Unless Apple overhaul their whole OS and give us some customisation and features i wont go near an iPhone.

My thoughts exactly I'm fine with paying more for a better product and that's why I've chosen Samsung. Yeah TW sucks so what ? I put Nova, Apex over it root it and once stuff like Sweet ROM is available for international versions I'll just flash it.

That's the beauty of Android you can really make the device yours, Apple is a walled garden and their only benefit over Os like Wp is that they have more apps and that's about it.

So as long as Apple has arrogant brats like Schiller, Cook and their our device - our rules philosophy I'm not going to touch an I-whatever. As for desktop it's not even in consideration if I'm paying a premium sum for my desktop I want to decide which stuff goes in there (including the CASE!) and built from scratch instead of having a $ 2.500 toy that can't be expended but yeah it looks nice...Which it really doesn't.

Is Android perfect ? No, no OS is but thanks to the open source developers have and will continue to improve it steadily plus I love customization so yeah never thought about switching. In terms of mobile phone I wouldn't even consider a phone without a removable battery, expandable storage no matter which OS so that leaves Samsung and LG as the only two options

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

If you've only been using Samsung/Touchwiz devices you probably won't know what most people are talking about, are used to it, or just aren't bothered by it. Use a Moto X or a Nexus 5, 6, or 7 and then go back to your TW device to see what people mean when they say these devices lag or stutter. Not to say TW is lag all the time, it just crops up here and there is all.

I came back to Samsung after 2.5 years or so and probably around 20 phones later and I still don't see real lag on my phone! I came from a iPhone 6 and also that phone had lags time to time. Its normal for a PC, tablet, phone etc to lag/freeze a little from time to time! (A hiccup)

I like my note 4 way more then I liked my iPhone 6.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I came back to Samsung after 2.5 years or so and probably around 20 phones later and I still don't see real lag on my phone! I came from a iPhone 6 and also that phone had lags time to time. Its normal for a PC, tablet, phone etc to lag/freeze a little from time to time! (A hiccup)

I like my note 4 way more then I liked my iPhone 6.

"real lag" quoted from your post. That's what I've always noticed about people who claim no lag. The lag is there, it's just not severe enough for many to notice or care. It's not terrible, but it is there. It didn't bother me too much so I had been using my Note 4 without romming it until recently. I wish I had done this right out of the box. Now my phone flies. TRUE ZERO LAG

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

"real lag" quoted from your post. That's what I've always noticed about people who claim no lag. The lag is there, it's just not severe enough for many to notice or care. It's not terrible, but it is there. It didn't bother me too much so I had been using my Note 4 without romming it until recently. I wish I had done this right out of the box. Now my phone flies. TRUE ZERO LAG

Trust me, when I'll play with that ROM a few days I'll see hiccups. Could be in a regular app or on the browser. Its always there even in a 5K computer..

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

I have several friends that have switched over to the iPhones in the last couple of years - after having them for a while, the only time they brag about them is to bust my chops. In general conversations, a couple of them miss Android in general and I actually caught a few of them drooling since I got my Note 4. EVERY phone/Operating System has bugs... just be patient!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

What constitutes notable lag? High performance microcomputers have more lag than most of the slowest of smartphones but we don't spend a lot of time discussing that as a people. One perspective offered is that with features and capability come what you are calling lag. Not sure how much I agree with that opine. So, how many microseconds constitutes notable lag? How many microseconds are acceptable? Seems somewhat subjective. Food for thought.

from the IV

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

To me lag constitutes not keeping up with my input in one way or another. If I have to wait on my phone I call that lag.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

To me lag constitutes not keeping up with my input in one way or another. If I have to wait on my phone I call that lag.

I can see that perspective.

from the G Pad 7

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

Trust me, when I'll play with that ROM a few days I'll see hiccups. Could be in a regular app or on the browser. Its always there even in a 5K computer..

You're probably right as nothing is perfect. That's where lag can be subjective. I may not notice it whereas someone else may depending on what processes and user interactions are going on.

dud3r

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site

I've used Androids since the first one. Switched to T-Mobile because they were the only carrier that offered it. Before I bought my Note 4 I was seriously considering the switch just for a change. My buddy has an iPhone 6 Plus. After many side by side comparisons I'm happy with my decision. In my opinion the only place he's winning is battery life. I can just leave a charger in my desk.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I've used Androids since the first one. Switched to T-Mobile because they were the only carrier that offered it. Before I bought my Note 4 I was seriously considering the switch just for a change. My buddy has an iPhone 6 Plus. After many side by side comparisons I'm happy with my decision. In my opinion the only place he's winning is battery life. I can just leave a charger in my desk.

While the iPhone 6+ is indeed great (if you like iPhone's simplistic stance) you have the more capable device.

from the G Pad 7

dud3r

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site

While the iPhone 6+ is indeed great (if you like iPhone's simplistic stance) you have the more capable device.

from the G Pad 7

That was the argument I had with myself. Sometimes you want simplicity. Don't want to be locked into it though personally.