finally got my note 4, a few questions

NetNet5

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
hey guys,
before 2 days i finally got my note 4 after a long time with iphones,a few words wow! what a great phone! i dont know what i did with iphone so many years. everything is open and so simple and i really glad i chose to go with the note 4.
now i have some questions (The most important question is the battery life) and much more questions and i will glad if you can help me with all of the questions.

ok lets start,

1. the most important questions is my first question and is about the battery life, When I received the note 4 I waited for fully discharged for the first use until the device turns off, and then I charged it again (with fast charging without turn of the device) and i fell asleep and then in the morning was 100% so i turn the device (yes I know not to leave it charging all night even after the device is already 100% but its happend ;)) well I noticed that the battery runs out really fast, and my use was quite low and I do not know how! For example, after a 3 hours of use the battery goes from 100% to 60% and after more two hours its was 35%. excpet this i saw when i got 5-6% i was playing a bit with the settings and after 2-3 min the device turns off. how 5-6% in 2-3 min and even less?

this is the things i did to save my battery life already:

sound settings: turns off - vibrate while ringing, dailing keypad tone, touch sound, screen lock sound, sounds when tapped, vibrate when tapped and all the rest.
brightness: almost the lowest and even now i tried auto - btw what is the best to do - auto brightness or to set it your own on low brightness?
bluetooth - off
closing applications with the "recent app button" - V
GPS - off
Disable Pen Detection - off
and more settings that i dont remmber.

here is a picture of my power saving in settings (before i charge it without "fast charing") Do not know if this is related but just mention that

280shlf.jpg
so what should i do to to extend my battery life? because my battery life very poor.

Sub Questions about the battery:

a. which way is the best to charge the note? wait until the device turns off and then to charge it to 100%? or what?
b. fast charing option is good? right now i turns the option off and my device charging while he off. what do you recommend to turn off the feature or on?

2. i heard when i force stop applications in "applications manager" is good is that true? is effect on the battery life?
look at the picture i uploaded from there,

2vcb2hy.jpg

the settings are good? do i have to force stop applications? i will glad to hear a short explanation about this.

3. about the RAM usage, applications thats running or i dont know how to call it, look at the picture i uploaded:

eiv1wg.jpg

1.6 GB in use and sometimes its even 2GB in use, i really dont know how! i didnt use so many applications.
it is ok to close apps from here or to let the system to handle it? is effect on the battery life? i really glad to short explantion about it also.

4. the google syncs its like iCloud in apple? i saw in settings alot of marks like: calander, contacts, and many more can sync to google+, what thats means? its will upload to google sync cloud? or its just a backup to the contacts? i really dont understand this.

5. i used wazzapmigrator app to my note from iphone to transfer all my whatsapp history chat, is it safe? everything works good i just ask it to be sure. by the way i use the "LITE" version of free download and now each message have - LITE, if i buy the full version its will remove it?
and a sub question, i used smart switch to transfer my notes, calander, contacts is ok?

Sorry for the ignorance i know i asked so many stupid questions but i have to solve them.

thank you very much!!

Last edited:

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Don't drain the battery until it runs out of juice and turns off. Once your phone hits 10% try to charge it.

Also, don't worry about the ram, in android it's good to use more ram (or so I've heard).

Posted via the Android Central App

NetNet5

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Don't drain the battery until it runs out of juice and turns off. Once your phone hits 10% try to charge it.

Also, don't worry about the ram, in android it's good to use more ram (or so I've heard).

oh good to know about the battery, i wait untl 10% then i will charge again.
but the battery is still poor, less than hour almost 15% drops, my use is only whatsapp and a little bit google chrome websites.
and look i upload a screenshot thats the screen is on 62%! i think this is the problem what do you think?

n4a74h.jpg

and btw do you think the battery life will be better in coming days? i only have the note 2 days.

thanks for answers!

Fluffyman

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
15% per hour thats a good 6 hours with a full charge (without dropping the battery to 0%), thats good. Depending on your usage you can get much less or slightly more than that but 6 hours is solid.

NetNet5

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
15% per hour thats a good 6 hours with a full charge (without dropping the battery to 0%), thats good. Depending on your usage you can get much less or slightly more than that but 6 hours is solid.

its less than hour 15%, i heard note 4 can 10+ hours i really dont know.
and when you say "without dropping the battery to 0%" do you recommend to charage the phone before he turns off?
and about the usage its effect on the battery life?
btw thats all i did in the screen settings,

settings- display screen - mode - basic.
enable auto adjust screen tone.
smart stay enable.
daydream off
touch light key duration 1.5s
screen timeout 15s
brightness -5 auto

still is 63% why it isnt drop? do i have to wait?charge? what?

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Weak signal strength is always the first culprit when it come to battery life.

Anytime a phone searches to find a signal, it will drain the battery rather quickly.

Supposing this isn't the case, could you show us your screen on time?

gilsoncav

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I came from years of iPhone. I totally agree with you that is a fantastic phone. The best currently available in the market in my opinion.
BUT, android does not disciplines the Apps and the results of this approach are on your battery life.
I rooted mine, installed greenify, configured a xposed mod to hold some apps to start automatically, but did not achieved a significant improvement on battery life.
The solution was an official extra battery kit.

NetNet5

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Weak signal strength is always the first culprit when it come to battery life.

Anytime a phone searches to find a signal, it will drain the battery rather quickly.

Supposing this isn't the case, could you show us your screen on time?

Yes sometimes I have weak signal in my home, but its changes everytime.
onc time is one line of signal and sometime is a 2-3 lines of signal and sometimes is full..
Untitled.png
and what do you mean my screen on time?

and different question, i turn on my dev options and after 5 sec i got red flickering screen to 10 sec and its gone. what is it? it is ok?
btw i turn off the dev options without change anything. there is something to do to hide dev options?

and do you maybe know why the screen is 63% on battery saving? i did all of this

smart stay enable.
daydream off
screen timeout 15s
brightness -5 auto

thanks!

Fluffyman

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
For you I would recommend not going below 15%-20% because thats where it should start to really hurt the battery life over the months.

Settingwise you really can't do that much to improve the battery, Display, WIFI, LTE and signal are eating up the most of the power and you can't cut these out.

NetNet5

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
For you I would recommend not going below 15%-20% because thats where it should start to really hurt the battery life over the months.

Settingwise you really can't do that much to improve the battery, Display, WIFI, LTE and signal are eating up the most of the power and you can't cut these out.

what you mean not going below? you mean do not to charge the note until is 15-20%?
and by the way, the screen at the power saving settings is on 39% now, better than before after i did this options:

smart stay enable.
daydream off
screen timeout 15s
brightness -5 auto

i hope its will be better, about the signal its not up to me i guess ;)

and one more question is someone can help me its about the developer options, I enable the options and i turn on the scale and after 5 sec my screen start to flickering on red color, after that i put off the dev option do i have to worry? what is those red flickering screen? its happend once but still I'm a little worried, there is something to do to hide this option?

thanks!

NetNet5

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
As long as you're getting over 4 hours of screen on time you're battery's good.

you mean as long i playing with my note over 4 hours the battery is good?
if its true the battery is great beacuse im with 20% now and its more than 9 hours.
and if i not use my note how long the battery will work for how many hours?
btw, i found a guide how to remove the dev options very easy, just go to settings- application manager - all - searcing for "settings" and then click on clear data and thats it!
the only thing i dont know its what its doing to my settings, anyone? or im fine?
and someone can tell me if the red flickering thats happend me in the dev options is ok? i didnt got it again i just ask to be sure.
and one more question in settings - power saving - screen i got now 41% is thats good? what is the average for good battery life?

thanks!

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Wow...Congrats...but the battery life should get better after a week or So. The phone is updating and whatnot. I have played Rhapsody 8 solid hours at work and went home at 45%. I leave mine on the charger all night. What are you suppose to do...get up at 3 a.m and take it off charger? I don't. probably Not the best practice...but I have found it to be tough as nails! I am abusing it now and have found it can take it. Relax and do What you see fit. Not everyone is going to agree, but I didn't pay $825 for a phone that has to be babied...I got a beast. Relax and enjoy it!

Sent via the Next Big Thing, My Galaxy N4

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
And I do mean apps updating...excessive play store searches and excessive use to get everything set up and explored.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Modern batteries should not have severe memory issues or overcharge problems. And if you are using the stock charger you should get a full charge in an hour or so.

I'd suggest one night make sure you have a full charge before going to sleep. Leave the phone alone overnight and see what you have in the morning. If it is way down after a night of non-use, then you have a problem. Something doing a lot of syncing, weak signal or problem with the phone.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

NetNet5

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Wow...Congrats...but the battery life should get better after a week or So. The phone is updating and whatnot. I have played Rhapsody 8 solid hours at work and went home at 45%. I leave mine on the charger all night. What are you suppose to do...get up at 3 a.m and take it off charger? I don't. probably Not the best practice...but I have found it to be tough as nails! I am abusing it now and have found it can take it. Relax and do What you see fit. Not everyone is going to agree, but I didn't pay $825 for a phone that has to be babied...I got a beast. Relax and enjoy it!

And I do mean apps updating...excessive play store searches and excessive use to get everything set up and explored.

haha you so right and i hope after week its will be better i guess The battery will adjust itself, i dont like to charage all night when i sleeping (bad memory with the iphone, after a year my battery ruined) so i learned a lesson about it.my question if is that ok from 100% to 20% after 9 hours of using whatsapp/a little bit games/notes/calls/settings?
btw i using right now the fast charing, in less than hour is 100% is great but the questions if to leave it enable all the time or to disable it?

Modern batteries should not have severe memory issues or overcharge problems. And if you are using the stock charger you should get a full charge in an hour or so.

I'd suggest one night make sure you have a full charge before going to sleep. Leave the phone alone overnight and see what you have in the morning. If it is way down after a night of non-use, then you have a problem. Something doing a lot of syncing, weak signal or problem with the phone.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

yes you right i will check it tonight, and how can i check if something is doing alot of sycning?
and if you have more tips how to keep the battery life better i will glad to hear.
and what you say about fast charging is good?

thanks guys!

Hielko

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Read the forum to get more knowledge and advice.
You can charge whenever you want, but don't wait until the battery is completely unloaded, because that's bad for the li-ion batteries.

Posted via Android Central App

Jack33

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
When I first got my Note 4, the battery life wasn't very good. I found out that the problem might be the SD card. If you have lot of stuff on the SD card, the phone will initially attempt to "index" these files and be constantly in an "on mode". Next, I found out that the Facebook apps was the culprit. As soon as I uninstalled it, the battery lasted much longer. However, I was expecting two days worth of battery after heavy use; but such is not the case. I think the higher resolution display is what's sucking the battery.

Coming from Moto X (2013), there are pros and cons. I'm getting used to the new OEM, but so far I like it.

NetNet5

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Leave it enabled...at least I do. Always have.

its effect on the battery life or it is the same if i charage it without the "fast charging" option?

Read the forum to get more knowledge and advice.
You can charge whenever you want, but don't wait until the battery is completely unloaded, because that's bad for the li-ion batteries.

Posted via Android Central App

ok thanks for the information, if you have more topics for the noobies i will glad to read them.

When I first got my Note 4, the battery life wasn't very good. I found out that the problem might be the SD card. If you have lot of stuff on the SD card, the phone will initially attempt to "index" these files and be constantly in an "on mode". Next, I found out that the Facebook apps was the culprit. As soon as I uninstalled it, the battery lasted much longer. However, I was expecting two days worth of battery after heavy use; but such is not the case. I think the higher resolution display is what's sucking the battery.

Coming from Moto X (2013), there are pros and cons. I'm getting used to the new OEM, but so far I like it.

yes i thought so also about the battery but i guess its will be better in coming days.
and when you say "SD card" you mean at application settings? where its all/running/active?sd card? close there apps its save battery?
and btw how long you use your note from 100%? medium using.

and questions to everyone,

i use this settings in screen - power saving,

smart stay enable.
daydream off
screen timeout 15s

btw,
when i enable the devs options i after 5-10 sec my screen start to flickering on red color and then its stops. you know what is it? its happend to me only one time but i worried its did something to the system.

thanks guys!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante