finally got my note 4, a few questions

NetNet5

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Modern batteries should not have severe memory issues or overcharge problems. And if you are using the stock charger you should get a full charge in an hour or so.

I'd suggest one night make sure you have a full charge before going to sleep. Leave the phone alone overnight and see what you have in the morning. If it is way down after a night of non-use, then you have a problem. Something doing a lot of syncing, weak signal or problem with the phone.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

well I tested it, I slept about 10 hours and the battery dropped from 100% to 93%.
7% in 10-9.5 hours, the phone was alone overnight. (I received several calls and messages even I did not answer)
what you say about it?

That is completely the opposite from my experience with the GN4.
A full charge easily lasts me 3/6 days* with heavy use (internet, calling, texting, chatting, email, apps, but no obsessive gaming, no long hours of video or streaming; when I want/need that I'm on USB). So I usually charge every second or third night when the battery is between 30 and 40%. I charge slowly using a USB cable connected to my laptop. I always leave it charging until the morning. I don't disconnect when it's at 100%. I prefer to sleep. The battery and charging software takes care of itself.

I used the exact same procedure with my previous Notes, but their batteries endured not half as long.

*10 days (or even longer) in power saving mode!

So TBH I can't relate to your battery woes at all.

You're telling me you are with battery from 3 to 6 days and the battery holds for you? Or I did not understand you.
if you mean the battery saving mode/power saving mode, then it makes sense.
about I will try to charge it with a usb cable on computer it's a great option. But wait, how long the battery should holds for normal use without power saving mode? 9 hrs? 8 hurs? 10 hrs? normal use of course.

thanks!

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
its effect on the battery life or it is the same if i charage it without the "fast charging" option?

yes i thought so also about the battery but i guess its will be better in coming days. ...
and btw how long you use your note from 100%? medium using.

and questions to everyone,

i use this settings in screen - power saving,

settings- display screen - mode - basic.
enable auto adjust screen tone.
smart stay enable.
daydream off
touch light key duration 1.5s
screen timeout 15s

btw,
when i enable the devs options i after 5-10 sec my screen start to flickering on red color and then its stops. you know what is it? its happend to me only one time but i worried its did something to the system.

thanks guys!

It should be the same effect. That's What it's designed to do. I have fast charging enable and leave it plugged up all night. If I have to get up early I charge it at my bed So I have the alarm. That's a VERY old charger. It's adaptive fast charging So it's fine either way.

The only thing I changed in dev options was the animations. I turned them off. Others say it runs faster at .5 or 1.5. It may help with battery life, Just try one one day and see how you like it. I want fast So I turned them off. After trying them all over a week, that was my observation . My battery life seems to be better too. I think Nova Prime help a bit on the battery too.

The one poster said they got 6 days battery life ...that is exceptional and sweet. Having always had the worst phone in the crowd I am accustom to getting 8 hours battery from a phone (100%-0%). So you can imagine that I am estatic at 18-24 hours on a battery and that's 100‰ to 30%. But I leave everything on. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, location...all push notifications... everything. I'm good where I am at and I hope you get it to where you want to be too.

Sent via the Next Big Thing, My Galaxy N4

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
well I tested it, I slept about 10 hours and the battery dropped from 100% to 93%.
7% in 10-9.5 hours, the phone was alone overnight. (I received several calls and messages even I did not answer)
what you say about it?

You're telling me you are with battery from 6 days and the battery holds for you? Or I did not understand you.
if you mean the battery saving mode/power saving mode, then it makes sense.
about I will try to charge it with a usb cable on computer it's a great option. But wait, how long the battery should holds for normal use without power saving mode? 9 hrs? 8 hurs? 10 hrs? normal use of course.

thanks!
Your standby / idle is normal.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4/454599-how-your-standby-battery-life.html

Everyone's usage is different. But most certainly 3-6 days of heavy usage is not possible. By heavy usage, I am referring to 5-8 hours SOT per day. The problem is that the definition of heavy varies from person to person.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Right I don't stream movies or play games on my note 4. usually do Web browsing, Tapatalk, email, hangouts on heavy days is around 5-8 hours. No way I could get 48 hours SOT over 6 days of heavy usage. In fact, I would be lucky to get 1 day of heavy usage, and probably won't even achieve 8 hours SOT.

DMarie04

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
hey guys,
before 2 days i finally got my note 4 after a long time with iphones,a few words wow! what a great phone! i dont know what i did with iphone so many years. everything is open and so simple and i really glad i chose to go with the note 4.
now i have some questions (The most important question is the battery life) and much more questions and i will glad if you can help me with all of the questions.

ok lets start,

1. the most important questions is my first question and is about the battery life, When I received the note 4 I waited for fully discharged for the first use until the device turns off, and then I charged it again (with fast charging without turn of the device) and i fell asleep and then in the morning was 100% so i turn the device (yes I know not to leave it charging all night even after the device is already 100% but its happend ;)) well I noticed that the battery runs out really fast, and my use was quite low and I do not know how! For example, after a 3 hours of use the battery goes from 100% to 60% and after more two hours its was 35%. excpet this i saw when i got 5-6% i was playing a bit with the settings and after 2-3 min the device turns off. how 5-6% in 2-3 min and even less?

this is the things i did to save my battery life already:

sound settings: turns off - vibrate while ringing, dailing keypad tone, touch sound, screen lock sound, sounds when tapped, vibrate when tapped and all the rest.
brightness: almost the lowest and even now i tried auto - btw what is the best to do - auto brightness or to set it your own on low brightness?
bluetooth - off
closing applications with the "recent app button" - V
GPS - off
Disable Pen Detection - off
and more settings that i dont remmber.

here is a picture of my power saving in settings (before i charge it without "fast charing") Do not know if this is related but just mention that

View attachment 156669
so what should i do to to extend my battery life? because my battery life very poor.

Sub Questions about the battery:

a. which way is the best to charge the note? wait until the device turns off and then to charge it to 100%? or what?
b. fast charing option is good? right now i turns the option off and my device charging while he off. what do you recommend to turn off the feature or on?

2. i heard when i force stop applications in "applications manager" is good is that true? is effect on the battery life?
look at the picture i uploaded from there,

View attachment 156670

the settings are good? do i have to force stop applications? i will glad to hear a short explanation about this.

3. about the RAM usage, applications thats running or i dont know how to call it, look at the picture i uploaded:

View attachment 156671

1.6 GB in use and sometimes its even 2GB in use, i really dont know how! i didnt use so many applications.
it is ok to close apps from here or to let the system to handle it? is effect on the battery life? i really glad to short explantion about it also.

4. the google syncs its like iCloud in apple? i saw in settings alot of marks like: calander, contacts, and many more can sync to google+, what thats means? its will upload to google sync cloud? or its just a backup to the contacts? i really dont understand this.

5. i used wazzapmigrator app to my note from iphone to transfer all my whatsapp history chat, is it safe? everything works good i just ask it to be sure. by the way i use the "LITE" version of free download and now each message have - LITE, if i buy the full version its will remove it?
and a sub question, i used smart switch to transfer my notes, calander, contacts is ok?

Sorry for the ignorance i know i asked so many stupid questions but i have to solve them.

thank you very much!!

1st off, congrats on your brand new, Note 4 & welcome to AC!
*RAM: DON'T worry about the usage being hi. Android is meant to work that way. It keeps your most frequently used apps running in the background so they will load quicker when you go to access them. In Android they say "unused RAM, is wasted RAM!"
*Battery A great Battery Saver on the Play Store is 2 Battery, offers both a free & paid version. Have used both, but IMO this app's worth few bucks & the developer is very responsive with issues/?s.
*F/C Apps: There's no need to be force closing your apps out allthe time. Not unless something isn't operating correctly or is "stuck" loading or something of that nature. You can simply tap your recent apps button & close any apps you no longer will be using.
Display: As far as brightness goes, I prefer to manually adjust my screen as opposed to the auto setting. For me, I find the display workable @ a pretty low brightness.
Of course, three are just my opinions & views. Everyone will have their own methods, settings & opinions on what's the best way to do these things. My best advise is...read the replies, tinker with your device settings & you'll find what you like and works best for you. That's one of the many fabulous things about Android, is it's ability to customize to the user! Enjoy your new device!!!

Posted From MY Next Big Thing!!

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
And by the way...none of your question s are stupid. We are all here to get help and give help. Without all the questions No one would help anyone and everyone would think everything is fine.

NetNet5

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
It should be the same effect. That's What it's designed to do. I have fast charging enable and leave it plugged up all night. If I have to get up early I charge it at my bed So I have the alarm. That's a VERY old charger. It's adaptive fast charging So it's fine either way.

The only thing I changed in dev options was the animations. I turned them off. Others say it runs faster at .5 or 1.5. It may help with battery life, Just try one one day and see how you like it. I want fast So I turned them off. After trying them all over a week, that was my observation . My battery life seems to be better too. I think Nova Prime help a bit on the battery too.

The one poster said they got 6 days battery life ...that is exceptional and sweet. Having always had the worst phone in the crowd I am accustom to getting 8 hours battery from a phone (100%-0%). So you can imagine that I am estatic at 18-24 hours on a battery and that's 100‰ to 30%. But I leave everything on. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, location...all push notifications... everything. I'm good where I am at and I hope you get it to where you want to be too.

ok i got it thank you for the explanation and i hope too also , i think in heavy use of gaming/whatsapp/notes and all the rest i get like 6-8 hours also.
i hope its will be better.:)
and about the dev options do you maybe know about what happend to me yesterday?

when i turn on devs optons and when i turn off the scale animation the screen start to flickering on red colors, after 5-10 sec its stopped and never happend again.
should i have to worried? btw like i said i already removed/hide the devs options from settings (clear data settings did that)

i found a picture from another website of the same problem thats happend to me but for nexus,

Your standby / idle is normal.

Everyone's usage is different. But most certainly 3-6 days of heavy usage is not possible. By heavy usage, I am referring to 5-8 hours SOT per day. The problem is that the definition of heavy varies from person to person.

standby- overnight without use the note right? idle is use the phone heavy apps? game?vidoes/youtube?
SOT is? and yes 5-8 hours heavy use its same to me so i think i good ;) thank you.
and if you have more tips to keep the battery life i will glad to hear that.

Yes.

No, I mean normal/heavy phone/battery use (= internet, calling, texting, chatting, email, apps, but no obsessive gaming, no long hours of video or streaming; when I want/need that I'm on USB). In battery/power saving mode a full charge lasts 10 days Plus (no video, no streaming, no gaming).

Like I said: 3 to 6 days. With continuous video play, gaming, or streaming 5 to 7 hours.

oh k nice, i will glad to hear from you some tips to keep the battery life longer also. thanks!

Right I don't stream movies or play games on my note 4. usually do Web browsing, Tapatalk, email, hangouts on heavy days is around 5-8 hours. No way I could get 48 hours SOT over 6 days of heavy usage. In fact, I would be lucky to get 1 day of heavy usage, and probably won't even achieve 8 hours SOT.

What is SOT? and ok so if i get 5-8 hours of using my note is good?

1st off, congrats on your brand new, Note 4 & welcome to AC!
*RAM: DON'T worry about the usage being hi. Android is meant to work that way. It keeps your most frequently used apps running in the background so they will load quicker when you go to access them. In Android they say "unused RAM, is wasted RAM!"
*Battery A great Battery Saver on the Play Store is 2 Battery, offers both a free & paid version. Have used both, but IMO this app's worth few bucks & the developer is very responsive with issues/?s.
*F/C Apps: There's no need to be force closing your apps out allthe time. Not unless something isn't operating correctly or is "stuck" loading or something of that nature. You can simply tap your recent apps button & close any apps you no longer will be using.
Display: As far as brightness goes, I prefer to manually adjust my screen as opposed to the auto setting. For me, I find the display workable @ a pretty low brightness.
Of course, three are just my opinions & views. Everyone will have their own methods, settings & opinions on what's the best way to do these things. My best advise is...read the replies, tinker with your device settings & you'll find what you like and works best for you. That's one of the many fabulous things about Android, is it's ability to customize to the user! Enjoy your new device!!!

Posted From MY Next Big Thing!!

thank you!
its good to hear about the ram "force stop" and everything else there i really dont like to keep closing there apps haha.
and i hear to download apps for battery is doesnt good for battery and most of the apps is fakes. is it true?

And by the way...none of your question s are stupid. We are all here to get help and give help. Without all the questions No one would help anyone and everyone would think everything is fine.

thank you!

guys i really glad i found this forum, so many nice ppls over here thank you for everything.
i have a few general questions,

1. what is SOT/idle?
2. 5-8 hours of battery life is good while im using whatsapp/vidoes/games?
3. when i playing (poker/something elese) its like every 2-3 min 1% drops its ok?
4.when i turn on devs optons and when i turn off the scale animation the screen start to flickering on red colors, after 5-10 sec its stopped and never happend again.
should i have to worried? do a reset settings? what? btw like i said i already removed/hide the devs options from settings (clear data settings did that)

i found a picture from another website of the same problem thats happend to me but for nexus,

i noticed thats when i spoke so many time on voice calls the screen drops to 10% and the voice calls raised what thats means?

thanks guys again!

Last edited by a moderator:

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
its less than hour 15%, i heard note 4 can 10+ hours i really dont know.
and when you say "without dropping the battery to 0%" do you recommend to charage the phone before he turns off?
and about the usage its effect on the battery life?
btw thats all i did in the screen settings,

smart stay enable.
daydream off
screen timeout 15s
brightness -5 auto

still is 63% why it isnt drop? do i have to wait?charge? what?

First congrats, the Note 4 at this point, IMO, is the best smartphone on the market.

On the battery bit, others will give you tips to save battery, so I am just going to let you know that the Note 4 has a removable battery. A big plus! I carry at least 1 spare, on trips I might have two or 3.. I don't NEVER worry about how much juice of how much battery power is being taken, for the simple fact, I can swap out battery and be back at 100% in 10 seconds.. :D

So, get a spare battery and charger, and you are ready for the bear!!! :D

NetNet5

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
SOT = screen on time

oh ok great thanks.

First congrats, the Note 4 at this point, IMO, is the best smartphone on the market.

On the battery bit, others will give you tips to save battery, so I am just going to let you know that the Note 4 has a removable battery. A big plus! I carry at least 1 spare, on trips I might have two or 3.. I don't NEVER worry about how much juice of how much battery power is being taken, for the simple fact, I can swap out battery and be back at 100% in 10 seconds.. :D

So, get a spare battery and charger, and you are ready for the bear!!! :D

haha you right but before i want to swap the battery i want the battery will be good ;)

guys anyone can look previous posts to see what happend me in dev mode (red flickering) if it ok?
and one more question. my home button make some noises/clicking noises when i click on him sometimes is normal?

thanks!

Last edited:

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
ok i got it thank you for the explanation and i hope too also , i think in heavy use of gaming/whatsapp/notes and all the rest i get like 6-8 hours also.
i hope its will be better.:)
and about the dev options do you maybe know about what happend to me yesterday?

when i turn on devs optons and when i turn off the scale animation the screen start to flickering on red colors, after 5-10 sec its stopped and never happend again.
should i have to worried? btw like i said i already removed/hide the devs options from settings (clear data settings did that)

standby- overnight without use the note right? idle is use the phone heavy apps? game?vidoes/youtube?
SOT is? and yes 5-8 hours heavy use its same to me so i think i good ;) thank you.
and if you have more tips to keep the battery life i will glad to hear that.

its good to hear about the ram "force stop" and everything else there i really dont like to keep closing there apps haha.
and i hear to download apps for battery is doesnt good for battery and most of the apps is fakes. is it true?

thank you!

guys i really glad i found this forum, so many nice ppls over here thank you for everything.
i have a few general questions,

1. what is SOT/idle?
2. 5-8 hours of battery life is good while im using whatsapp/vidoes/games?
3. when i playing (poker/something elese) its like every 2-3 min 1% drops its ok?
4.when i turn on devs optons and when i turn off the scale animation the screen start to flickering on red colors, after 5-10 sec its stopped and never happend again.
should i have to worried? do a reset settings? what? btw like i said i already removed/hide the devs options from settings (clear data settings did that)

i noticed thats when i spoke so many time on voice calls the screen drops to 10% and the voice calls raised what thats means?

thanks guys again!

OK...I looked it up in AC across forums and the only mention of red flashing screen was No biggie. If its not doing it now then dont worry. If it persist then reboot phone. If it persist after that then do a battery pull, if it continues after that then do a factory reset. It really seemed as a non issue as long as it didn't continue.

I do Not recall the red flashing screen when I turned off my animations...but I may have been drinking and didn't notice...Lol.

If youre playing poker online...that will kill the battery time. But if it's something you like to do then don't stop because it kills the battery. Just know you need to juice it up when finished.

You should be able to leave dev options on and it shouldn't be a problem unless someone else can get in your phone and mess with stuff.

I don't think it's a great idea to turn off location. If your phone is stolen I do Not believe you can locate it on google website if that option is off. I could be wrong about that...someone else should chime it for conformation.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

NetNet5

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
OK...I looked it up in AC across forums and the only mention of red flashing screen was No biggie. If its not doing it now then dont worry. If it persist then reboot phone. If it persist after that then do a battery pull, if it continues after that then do a factory reset. It really seemed as a non issue as long as it didn't continue.

I do Not recall the red flashing screen when I turned off my animations...but I may have been drinking and didn't notice...Lol.

If youre playing poker online...that will kill the battery time. But if it's something you like to do then don't stop because it kills the battery. Just know you need to juice it up when finished.

You should be able to leave dev options on and it shouldn't be a problem unless someone else can get in your phone and mess with stuff.

I don't think it's a great idea to turn off location. If your phone is stolen I do Not believe you can locate it on google website if that option is off. I could be wrong about that...someone else should chime it for conformation.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

thank you very much man, its good to know about the flickering screen.
btw how can i do factory reset and if i do its delete all my phone? whatsapp history? pictures and stuffs?
and ok its a good idea about the location settings i will put it on from stolen.
last question, my home button start to do noises/clicking noises sometimes it is normal?

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Factory reset...easiest to me..turn the device off. Hold the volume key and the home button at the same time. While doing So turn the device on. When the phone comes on use the volume down key to "factory reset"...short press power button.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
OK...got ahead of myself...it's a new phone and the home button will wear after a few weeks and the click should go away. Mine was tight and loud at first but has become much more ergonimically friendly in last few weeks.

Yes...factory reset will delete it all. At least on my old phone....never done it on my Note and hope Not to. Only use that as a last resort. It's a pain to get everything back the way you like it.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
its effect on the battery life or it is the same if i charage it without the "fast charging" option?

ok thanks for the information, if you have more topics for the noobies i will glad to read them.

yes i thought so also about the battery but i guess its will be better in coming days.
and when you say "SD card" you mean at application settings? where its all/running/active?sd card? close there apps its save battery?
and btw how long you use your note from 100%? medium using.

and questions to everyone,

i use this settings in screen - power saving,

smart stay enable.
daydream off
screen timeout 15s

btw,
when i enable the devs options i after 5-10 sec my screen start to flickering on red color and then its stops. you know what is it? its happend to me only one time but i worried its did something to the system.

thanks guys!
Never happened to me. I'm on my second note 3

NetNet5

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
guys any one can help me with few more questions?
1. fast charging settings drains/drops the battery faster?
2. my home button starts to do clicking noises its normal?
3. antivirus is recommend for the note 4? i downloaded avs its ok or not necessary?
4. i put my mobile networks - network mode WCDMA/GSM (auto connect) its mean no 4G, its saves more battery? cuz the lte/WCDMA/GSM (4G) not always show on my device. what should i put and if its saves battery?

thanks guys!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Fast charging won't drain the battery faster.

There is a noise when clicking on the home button, but you can go to the store where there is a demo to see if it is an abnormal sound.

I don't have anti virus but at the same time I don't do risky behavior.

It depends on the signal strength of 4g vs 3g. A strong lte signal can use less battery than a very weak 3g signal. Also, downloading large files over a weak 3g signal with very slow speeds would use more power than over a very strong lte signal with fast speeds.

NetNet5

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Fast charging won't drain the battery faster.

There is a noise when clicking on the home button, but you can go to the store where there is a demo to see if it is an abnormal sound.

I don't have anti virus but at the same time I don't do risky behavior.

It depends on the signal strength of 4g vs 3g. A strong lte signal can use less battery than a very weak 3g signal. Also, downloading large files over a weak 3g signal with very slow speeds would use more power than over a very strong lte signal with fast speeds.

oh really? ( about the fast charging) i heard from so many sources its drains faster but ok if you say so ;)
about the clicking noises, good to know and i noticed that left/right sides less noises than the center and the noise sound from the center its like the button harder but everything works great.i really have to know if its normal.
and ok i get it about the 3/4gb but my question is that, where i live the 4G is not so support Only parts of the cities, so i dont know if to put on the LTE or no (now only 3G is on)

thanks!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
oh really? ( about the fast charging) i heard from so many sources its drains faster but ok if you say so ;)
about the clicking noises, good to know and i noticed that left/right sides less noises than the center and the noise sound from the center its like the button harder but everything works great.i really have to know if its normal.
and ok i get it about the 3/4gb but my question is that, where i live the 4G is not so support Only parts of the cities, so i dont know if to put on the LTE or no (now only 3G is on)

thanks!
If you are in an area without lte support then you can put it in 3g/4g mode. Not sure if it would make a huge difference though. I have used my phone charged though fast charging and sometimes though regular... It seems to drain 6 same to me