GPS issues with the Note 4 (AT&T only)

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: GPS issues with the Note 4 (AT&T only)

Yeah I never had a issue until the 4.4.4 update was released but it looks like the SIM swap has helped as I haven't dropped GPS signal since. I tested it a lot yesterday and some today and it seems to be fixed. If a week goes by then I know its fixed but regardless I am getting the Note 4 anyway but I would still like the GPS to work correctly until I buy it in Feb.

MustangblueNYC

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site

I have a Sprint Note 4 and have the same GPS issues. It never locks on a location with GPS.

LOCATION works fine with WiFi & Mobile data only. So using Google Maps (or similar) to find location, get directions for walking or riding a bike short distances is fine. Without the GPS lock, driving around using Google Maps (Waze, Scout, etc...) or any navigation program is useless.

I have been able to replicate this problem with every Note 4 I've seen.. I've gone back the Sprint Store, Samsungs Kiosk (at Best Buy) and spoke to senior tech support at Samsung. At this point, Samsung recommended I send them my phone and they will repair/replace it... I suspect this is a Android KitKat 4.4.4 / Samsung Note 4 HW compatibility issue with some phones.

This problem is not Phone Carrier specific (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc..).

I further tested using my Samsung S3 phone and got a GPS 100% of the time. Having place both phones next to eachother. I done several full resets on the phone to make sure there aren't' any apps conflicting GPS function.

So the bottom line is to either send the phone back to Samsung and wait 2 weeks (using my S3 for the time) OR wait for a firmware upgrade to solve the problem...

Good Luck

jummybui

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I never had a issue until the 4.4.4 update was released but it looks like the SIM swap has helped as I haven't dropped GPS signal since. I tested it a lot yesterday and some today and it seems to be fixed. If a week goes by then I know its fixed but regardless I am getting the Note 4 anyway but I would still like the GPS to work correctly until I buy it in Feb.

Maybe I'll give a sim swap a try. That is one thing I haven't tried yet.

rvhs03

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

I had a Note 3 on ATT and experienced the frequent GPS dropping. It seemed to happen even before the 4.4.4 update for me, but definitely worse after. Unfortunately, my Note 4 experiences the same issue, and seemingly more often than the Note 3. When the signal changes from LTE to HSDPA, I immediately get the "GPS signal lost" message. Although, a quick toggle of the GPS usually fixes the issue, its still very annoying. I don't use GPS much, but when I do, I need it to work. Only gripe about the phone. Not a deal breaker though.

Posted via the Android Central App

ZerC00L

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site

I can confirm 100% issues with GPS on my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 4. I bought it Sunday (12/28/2014) and noticed instant GPS inaccuracies, teleporting, not updating correct route information, etc. I got home, OTA'd, tried again the next day, same issues. Took it into AT&T yesterday (12/30/2014), guy instantly swapped, I stood right there and showed him exactly what was happening on the brand new,fresh out the box phone. "Hmmm, I'd give it a couple of days to.....uhhh.....calibrate, then bring it back if it doesn't work." Screw that, wtf is going on? Why do a select few of us have the problem and why does it continue to happen to the same people?

In another forum, a guy took his back not 1, not 2 but 3 TIMES, same gps issues everytime......... Add me to the list of people who've had multiple phones and the same gps issues. SIM related????? Maybe? I can't have another phone, I absolutely love this thing.

**EDIT** Had a Note 2 for close to 3 years, not one GPS problem.

The1Metallian

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

I have a Note 4 on ATT. The GPS is definitely not the best, but not major issues. When I zoom in too often is not accurate (right now it shows that I'm at my neighbor's house), sometimes it jumps from one point to another trying to place me...if I'm zoomed out it's all good, but when I want accuracy not so much. It's a tad slow to locate me too

Before buying this phone I was undecided between this one and an S5. One review compared both phones extensively and they showed with a GPS testing app how much better the GPS on the S5 was.

joseph soto

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site

If you are having the gps issues its not a Note 3 issue nor an AT&T issue its an Android issue but there is a fix. For some reason if you have an old Micro SD card in the phone its causing this problems. Try taking the Micro SD card out and see what it does.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance