Just jumped ship from iOS. So far I love my note 4. I'm still learning the ins and outs of android. I saw an app called Google hangouts which seemed like another texting app. Is there any reason to use that over the native txt app?
    Thanks.
    12-26-2014 10:46 PM
    As far as texting, I use either Messaging (not Messages) or Textra, depending on which ROM I'm currently running. (Not for the ROM - I have one installed as the default in one ROM and the other installed as the default on the other ROM. They're both okay as text apps. [I say just okay, because texting itself is a 1960s technology and leaves a lot to be desired.])
    bdgriff likes this.
    12-26-2014 11:24 PM
    OK thanks. It's amazing how much more I can do on this compared to my iPhone
    12-27-2014 12:29 AM
    OK thanks. It's amazing how much more I can do on this compared to my iPhone
    Welcome to our wild word and congrats escaping from Crapple state prison. Lol
    Need any thing let me know!

John 3:16
    soldier45 and adock22096 like this.
    12-27-2014 03:46 AM
    Welcome to the Note 4. It's a neat device.

from the IV
    12-27-2014 09:01 AM
    Welcome to the Light Side of the Force!

I used to use Hangouts for texting because I use it for chatting also, but I've been giving Verizon Messages a try because of the pop-up feature on the lock screen. I think the best advice would be to try everything for a bit until you find something that feels right.

The S Pen is mightier than the S Sword.
    adock22096 likes this.
    12-27-2014 09:19 AM
    Welcome to team Android. There is so much you're going to be able to do with your phone. You will be discovering things for a while.

Hangouts is a great app. I don't recommend you use it for your sms though. I would turn that feature off. The stock messaging app does a great job with handling that, especially when it comes to group sms.

What I like about hangouts is that it has all the good features of other instant messaging apps all rolled up into one.

- group video chat
    - group instant messaging (which you can name)
    - per contact notification sounds
    - mute individual convos
    - animated stickers (or you can even attach an animated GIF)

One cool trick with hangouts if you use Google plus photo Backup is that when it does auto awesome with your photos you can easily send it through hangouts and if there is motion it will come through.

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note Edge on AT&T
    adock22096 likes this.
    12-27-2014 09:19 AM
    You can use Hangouts as your primary texting app if you'd like (I do) . You would have to enable that feature within the Hangouts' settings.

Posted via the Android Central App
    adock22096 likes this.
    12-27-2014 09:20 AM
    Welcome to the Light Side of the Force!

I used to use Hangouts for texting because I use it for chatting also, but I've been giving Verizon Messages a try because of the pop-up feature on the lock screen. I think the best advice would be to try everything for a bit until you find something that feels right.

Light Side? I've always thought of us as The Dark Side of The Force, also making "You do not know the Power of The Dark Side" such an appropriate cliche.

from the IV
    Aquila likes this.
    12-27-2014 09:22 AM
    True. I'm used to referring to android as the light side because a friend of mine was trying to get me to switch to the iPhone 6 with my last upgrade and would randomly call and text me telling me to "Come to the Dark Side!" It was kind of creepy. Ultimately, the Note 4 won, and I make sure he knows it whenever we get together! Lol

dc52ltr likes this.
    12-27-2014 09:26 AM
    The Note 4 vs the iPhone 6+. An epic battle...and an example of when The Dark Side annihilates the light side.

from the IV
    12-27-2014 09:29 AM
    Light Side? I've always thought of us as The Dark Side of The Force, also making "You do not know the Power of The Dark Side" such an appropriate cliche.

from the IV
    Nooooo.... if you have a white Note 4 you are on the Light side...and if you own a black Note 4 you are on the Dark side. Lol...MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

Sent via the Next Big Thing, My Galaxy N4
    12-27-2014 10:35 AM
    Take a walk on the light side...

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    12-27-2014 11:51 AM