Extreme Cold temperature.

BenKuo2010

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys, yesterday I took my note 4 to the mountains and temperature drops to 25 degrees Fahrenheit. I didn't use the heater in the car.

Now, I'm little worried will the low temperature effect the phone? I was using the phone and seem fine but it feels really cold.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
25F is below the lower limit for use (32F, but -4F for being turned off), and it will have a slight effect on the battery if the phone is in use (batteries work best in environments in which you're comfortable in a shirt and pants or shorts - the listed operating range is about 32 to 95, plus or minus a few degrees depending on the phone). If it drops below zero, keep the phone at least in an inside pocket, if not in a pouch by your underarm. Get the phone too far below zero and both the battery and the LCD layer of the screen could get damaged.

You could keep the phone near your body and use a Bluetooth headset (and a couple of wool caps [the air between them acts as an additional insulator] or a hat with earflaps to protect that - and also to protect your ears).

BenKuo2010

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm not worried about the battery. I'm more concern about the phone it self and intensity components. I put the phone in the center console in the car, don't want to put in pocket because I have Otterbox Defender case on and to big to put in pocket.

I know if anything happen if should happen already but I just want to know if this will effect the LCD screen or Kenzo components. Thanks

Instagram: BenKuoPhotography

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
The battery will perform poorly when that cold. You may want to keep it it a pocket where it is a bit warmer it you need to use it.
The cold itself will not harm the phone, or battery, long term. If there is a chance of moisture condensing inside the phone, especially the camera, when it hits warm air. put it in a sealed bag until warm.
Generally, it is not an issue unless you are going below 0F.
The Note is NOT an LCD screen.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about my N4 because I haven't had the opportunity to use it in extreme cold yet but my S3 flat out stopped working in below freezing temps. I could not use the phone for anything because the screen didn't react to inputs. I certainly hope the N4 is a better performer in cold weather because I live in MI where we get plenty of cold winter weather.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I used my old Note 2 in temperatures between 10 and 15 F, taking photos, using S-Note and Papyrus, using Acrobat Reader, using Google Earth and Maps, and talking on the phone.

Battery discharged relatively rapidly, but the phone worked fine in all the above applications.

keshy19

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I just went snowboarding yesterday and experienced this. I have a galaxy Note 4. The conditions at the snow summit, a mountain in southern california were terrible. It shouldnt have been a bad experience however it felt very cold but unable to produce snow because it wasn't freezing enough. so it was raining but really damp because the water molecules couldnt freeze up enough to stay out of my ski clothes or to stop penetrating my bones which is a very very chilling feeling. i dont know if this dampness is what affected my phone or the cold itself but no one should go skiing in the rain. anyway i put my phone in a ziploc bag but only while i was on the ski lift so a little moisture got in there. it was working ok in the ziploc bag for a while but then it kept restarting itself. i didnt want to fumble with it up in the air, while it was raining, gloves, etc so i didnt bother pulling out the battery. after the 3rd time, it stayed off but it had at least 50% charge. mind you this battery has also been abused and doesnt hold a charge the best it could, not like it used to. when i got back to the lodge, it was fine. i kept it on and went back out there without the ziploc but never took it out of my pocket again. and at the end of the day, it was fine and still turned on by the time i was leaving. i think taking it out of the pocket and using it for a couple calls is what pushed it, i couldve kept it on while running my ski tracker app but i didnt want to mes with my phone anymore. even though i had a case and ziploc bag protecting it (surpringsly it works well with a ziploc quart bag!) too blurry for pictures though because its a freezer bag and its thicker. a sandwich bag is thinner and might be clearler but i could talk on the phone clearly and just set it up in a dry place