Hey guys, Happy Holidays...!!

Task: I picked up a Note 4 a week or so ago and I'm trying to regain write access to the SD Card. As we already know we are unable to unless the unit is Rooted. I am on Verizon and to my knowledge (please correct me if I'm wrong), there is no root method for Verizon as of yet. Having said that I have a few questions that I have not been able to find an answer for..

1. My objective is to Store/move data from the internal memory to the SD card until a root method is developed.
    2. Is there an app that will "sync/move etc... folder/files from a folder on the memory card to the SD card (NOT Bidirectional)
    3. In the Title I used Dropsync because that is what I used on my ROOTED Note 2 to pull from the cloud directly to the SD card. I'm thinking, ... I can still use Dropsync to pull from the cloud directly to the internal memory card, if I can find an app that will sync from the internal memory to the SD. Kind of like a "file watcher" for those tech people out there.... I know its a longer process... but I think this is my only option so far....

Any other thoughts and ideas are welcome.... Thanks...
    12-28-2014 10:07 AM
    What data are you looking to transfer?
    12-28-2014 10:11 AM
    This is a problem I have not been able to solve myself.
    I really want to be able to sync files on my external SD card with a server that I have. But no, Google has decided I shouldn't do that.
    That used to work so well for me.
    12-28-2014 10:31 AM
    I believe Dropbox will do what you are looking to do. You basically are using Dropbox as the intermediary for file storage. You can copy files (or folders) from your Dropbox onto the SD card. Can't sync files automatically to your phone, though, so far as I know.
    12-28-2014 11:22 AM
    Golfdriver... To answer your question, the data is irrelevant as it can be anything from, pictures, movies, contracts, drivers, software, etc... To provide a little more detail, I'm an IT consultant and I have several machines (laptop/servers) devices, phone/tablets, etc that I use. In this example I use Dropbox as a central storage to keep data... I then use Dropsync on the various device to "pull" data where needed. So the data will vary.

Worwig... I agree with you, I'm not sure what the though process was for not allowing end users to Write and manage their data directly on an SD card. Everybody "says" security, but its not clear to me what the quote "security issue is"... can you still not have a rouge process or app running in memory.

MaxBuck... Yes, you are correct... I can manually pull a file from dropbox and copy it to the SD card... however I am lazy..lol. Dropsync will automatically schedule and do it for me...but NOT direcly to the SD card unless its rooted. Dont get me wrong, I can still have dropsync pull, but only to internal card... NOT the SD card... for that I would have to manually move it.... its just a PITA...
    12-28-2014 02:31 PM
    Dropbox has the Export to SD Card capability but it is manual. I haven't seen anywhere that they have updated the app for Lollipop to allow the Dropsynch folder to be located on the SD card, which I believe they should be able to do. Unfortunately, my only Lollipop device is a Nexus 7 without a card so I can't try it.
    12-28-2014 03:58 PM
    Okay... maybe there is a little confusion.... The device and OS in question is a NON rooted Verizon Note 4, running 4.4. The question was not around Lollipop, the question was around or should I say, (find a work-around) getting Dropbox/Dropsync to work sync to an SD card on a non rooted phone. Again, my intention once one is developed for Verizon is to Root the phone and life will be good again... but until that time, I was looking to hear if anyone had any idea or suggestion about working around the issue...

However... Your response brings another good point... does anyone know if L-Pop will allow direct write access to the SD card....? Thanks again..
    12-29-2014 10:40 AM
    re Lollipop & writing to external SD card:

Android 5.0 Lollipop changes the way your SD card works — and that's a good thing | Android Central

I should have been clearer in my earlier response - I don't believe that there is a 4.4-based solution to your issue (other than rooting) and I was meaning to say that there may be when Lollipop is ported to Verizon N4.
    12-29-2014 10:47 AM

1. My objective is to Store/move data from the internal memory to the SD card until a root method is developed.
    2. Is there an app that will "sync/move etc... folder/files from a folder on the memory card to the SD card (NOT Bidirectional)
    3. In the Title I used Dropsync because that is what I used on my ROOTED Note 2 to pull from the cloud directly to the SD card. I'm thinking, ... I can still use Dropsync to pull from the cloud directly to the internal memory card, if I can find an app that will sync from the internal memory to the SD. Kind of like a "file watcher" for those tech people out there.... I know its a longer process... but I think this is my only option so far....
    While there may be a way to temporarily use internal SD card storage with dropsync and then transfer the files to external storage wouldn't the solution not be of much value since the copy on internal storage would have to remain there? I would think that if a second software package moves the files from the dropsync monitored internal storage folder to external storage dropsync would see the files missing and try to copy them over again from Dropbox to internal storage.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    12-29-2014 11:12 AM
    If it helps, the built in My Files app on your phone has full write permission to your SD card, so you can manually move whatever data you want that way.
    04-01-2015 11:01 AM
    So now that I have Lollipop, I have Dropbox/Dropsync Pro set up to synch with a folder on my external microSD card - works great, just like when the synch was with a folder in my internal memory.
    04-01-2015 11:26 AM