08-09-2015 12:28 PM
327 12345 ...
tools
    Under older Android OSes, I could choose to put working files for my various apps on the SD card rather than on the main phone memory. Since I work with large files (typically pdf files, which could be engineering drawings, aerial photographs, etc.) that I edit in the field (meaning duplication of files to accommodate the edits), I use up memory quickly.

As for 4.2 being a better system for me than 4.4, I just find the newer OS to be more complicated, less user-friendly and more difficult to do simple tasks. Others will, of course, disagree for their own uses, which is fine. Th problem is that Verizon decides what OS I am to use rather than allowing me to make that decision for myself. It's as though Sony (my laptop maker) were to decide I could no longer use Windows 7 and forced me to accept Win8.
    Thanks for the explanation. I had no idea of this.
    12-29-2014 10:11 AM
    One other advantage of having one's working files on the SD card rather than phone memory: if you brick the phone, or even if you simply upgrade, you have all your working files to transfer easily to your new phone. No need to back up and restore (except, of course, for security in the event your SD card fails).
    12-29-2014 10:16 AM
    I'll take Lollipop when it's as rock solid as Kitkat. Don't feel like dealing with all the bugs that the early adopters are going through.
    Snake Griffin likes this.
    12-29-2014 10:44 AM
    In addition to the SD card issue, I am looking forward to the trusted devices/networks setting. I have a bluetooth speakerphone in my car; however, since I use a fingerprint/strong password lock screen on my Note 4, I cannot tap the speakerphone and/or say "OK Google, send message to" or "OK Google, call" due to the fact that the lock screen must first be cleared using a password. With Lollipop, I can make my bluetooth speakerphone a trusted device, which will allow usage of the phone's voice commands without having to worry about the lock screen getting in the way.

Having a Nexus 7 2013 with Lollipop (received via OTA), I can say that Lollipop seems very quick, and the visual changes are pretty good. One "issue" that I have had since taking Lollipop seems to be that my bluetooth connectivity to my bluetooth speaker (for music streaming) randomly cuts out when streaming from the Nexus 7 on Lollipop. For those who might question this, 1) this never happened while on KitKat 4.4.4, and 2) doesn't happen with my Note 4 on KitKat 4.4.4. It's the same speaker in all cases (JBL Charge), so the only change was the OS level on Nexus 7. Hoping the forthcoming 5.0.2 addresses this issue -- without adding some new problem! :o)
    12-29-2014 10:57 AM
    I can save apps to the SD card

Posted via the Android Central App
    But not all. Only some. So we're limited to what's allowed, as opposed to what we choose.

12-29-2014 11:25 AM
    Yeah this note on kit Kat purrs...why change it.

Exactly, because a lot of the times new updates cause issues and then people complain. If your device is running fine why risk it with a new flashy update? Especially when the main parts are updated through the play store. But seems like January is a good time frame for the update.
    saiyyasuka pon likes this.
    12-29-2014 12:12 PM
    I'm usually in a rush to download the latest and greatest software, but (shockingly) I'm not in a rush to download Lollipop. After hearing about the bugs and not much being "new", I probably won't update until 5.0.1 or later rolls out.
    12-29-2014 08:32 PM
    I'm usually in a rush to download the latest and greatest software, but (shockingly) I'm not in a rush to download Lollipop. After hearing about the bugs and not much being "new", I probably won't update until 5.0.1 or later rolls out.
    Best guess is that Note 4 get 5.0.1 or later as first launch.

I am looking forward to the lock screen notifications and 'moto' like enhancements. I am coming from a Droid Maxx, and that is the one feature I am missing the most.
    12-29-2014 08:43 PM
    You can get lock screen notifications using some current apps.

I too want Lollipop but we should be prepared for Samsung's version to look very little like the real L from Google, because TouchWiz is going to be basically unchanged. Other companies like LG, HTC, Motorola, Sony make sure to update their software to adapt to Android. Samsung has the same TouchWiz code that hasn't changed in 4 versions, it still looks pretty much the same and more importantly, the internals are probably the same too which is why we have the same lag.
    12-29-2014 09:02 PM
    Good thing??? I don't think so. They have now neutered the uSD card thanks to DRM afcinatos pressure. Apps like Nook and Kindle no longer let you store your books/publications on the uSD card. They claim it's for DRM reasons... yep. This is also why current Nexus devices no longer have uSD ports (Nexus 5, 7, etc.). Now 4.4.2 was out there before these restrictions were imposed. 4.4.4 and Lollipop are definitely more restrictive unless you are one of the people who root their devices.

On my side, I used to root and flash ROMs but that was because the original Android builds were lacking many capabilities. IMHO, today's crop of devices running KitKat or Lollipop don't really need to be rooted. Even the bloatware is inconsequential in these days with quad-core processors. I run a launcher/skin over the stock one and I am OK with that :-)

My super-phone history:

• MDA (Windows)
    • DASH (Windows)
    • G1 (rooted)
    • Nexus One (rooted)
    • Vibrant (rooted)
    • HD2 (Windows, then modded to Android)
    • Galaxy S2 (rooted)
    • LG G2x (rooted)
    • Galaxy S3 (rooted)
    • LG/Google Nexus 4 (stock)
    • HTC ONE (stock)
    • LG/Google Nexus 5 (stock)
    • Samsung Note 4 (stock)
    • Samsung Gear S
    ohbreeeezy likes this.
    12-29-2014 11:49 PM
    Seems that Apple and Android both release OS before they are ready for prime time.

^This

12-30-2014 12:39 AM
    M first Gen Nexus 7 is bright and use-able again. We are using it for the dedicated Chromecast device.
    12-30-2014 10:00 AM
    I really need to learn about ChromeCast. 1don't really know anything about it. Google is my friend.
    12-30-2014 11:16 AM
    Good thing??? I don't think so. They have now neutered the uSD card thanks to DRM afcinatos pressure.
    Actually, they eased the restrictions.... They closed up the shop, in a sense, in Kitkat as a stopgap effort to tighten down the security on the SD card. Before the changes, there was nothing standing in the way of any process and every byte of data on that card... zero restrictions. So they turned the screws too tight and the end result was SD card access that was extremely restrictive and people weren't too keen on that. The new stuff in 5.0 is aimed to allow applications access without giving everyone free reign.
    12-30-2014 11:52 AM
    I think I'd rather run the OS that the Note was designed to use. Surely the Note 5 will be running Lollipop, so I'll probably try it then.
    12-30-2014 11:56 AM
    I really need to learn about ChromeCast. 1don't really know anything about it. Google is my friend.
    You take it out of the box and think that it's going to be useless than you start using it... it's awesome. Pretty cool tech too.... How Chromecast Works

You know... It still boggles my mind that this kind of technology is now available for like $30 (give or take).
    zmann likes this.
    12-30-2014 12:06 PM
    I'm mot happy with chromecast at all. The having to have a wireless network ruins it. Especially certain network where you cannot change router settings. At home it works great. To each there own.

12-30-2014 12:25 PM
    You take it out of the box and think that it's going to be useless than you start using it... it's awesome. Pretty cool tech too.... How Chromecast Works

You know... It still boggles my mind that this kind of technology is now available for like $30 (give or take).
    Thanks a ton! Now I know what ChromeCast is and can decide if it'd be useful (I already have a smart TV and Smart BluRay player).
    12-30-2014 01:35 PM
    Thanks a ton! Now I know what ChromeCast is and can decide if it'd be useful (I already have a smart TV and Smart BluRay player).
    The software on the Chormecast updates. I don't know about your TV/BluRay, but mine don't update and operate slow. Aside from being able to show almost anything from my phone on the screen, I find that I am casting Netflix from my phone rather than going through the app on my TV. Everything about the experience is better.
    12-30-2014 02:35 PM
    Its the best!

12-30-2014 02:35 PM
    I would like SD card write access for our apps ASAP!!
    12-30-2014 02:55 PM
    Screenshot?

12-30-2014 02:57 PM
    Screenshot?

Attached Thumbnails Robin's Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Thread-screenshot_2014-12-30-13-55-21.jpg  
    rvhs03 likes this.
    12-30-2014 03:55 PM
    Nice! I'll try it.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Note 4
    12-30-2014 04:00 PM
    Hmmmmm interesting......just might try it.....
    12-30-2014 04:23 PM
327 12345 ...