Seeds of life
circuitry
phase beam (classic)

none have any significant power usage.

jhnnyblze2000

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Re: Lollipop? hope its soon!

I have 5.0 on my Nexus 7 tablet and am impressed with the snappiness and the lack of any bugs, thus far. There is no question that the 7 is both faster and smoother.

I definitely believe that. Nexus devices a lot of times run better on newer updated software. There's one thing holding this phone back from doing that with ANY update and that is touch wiz. Until Samsung either gets rid of it or makes it a lot less intrusive on the OS ur always gonna have bugs and lag.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I definitely believe that. Nexus devices a lot of times run better on newer updated software. There's one thing holding this phone back from doing that with ANY update and that is touch wiz. Until Samsung either gets rid of it or makes it a lot less intrusive on the OS ur always gonna have bugs and lag.

Using another launcher helps (a lot) but yeah, TW is still in the background...molesting things.

from the G Pad 7

rob6070

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

I'd wait a while before updating. It will be buggy and a lot of apps won't work right. My note 4 is blazing fast with no issues now. Don't change for the sake of change !!!

Posted via the Android Central App on my Note 4

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I am not in a rush for it. Updates are nice (who doesn't like new shiny things?) but is it "needed"? No.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

You'll have to forgive my ignorance but I don't know what the big attraction to Lollipop is.
In my case it's the restoration of the ability to use my SD card. Otherwise I couldn't care less. But the inability to use the SD card for routine applications is a fairly large problem for me.

Honestly, Android 4.4 is a big downgrade from 4.2 for my purposes.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

In my case it's the restoration of the ability to use my SD card. Otherwise I couldn't care less. But the inability to use the SD card for routine applications is a fairly large problem for me.

Honestly, Android 4.4 is a big downgrade from 4.2 for my purposes.
What do you mean exactly?

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

What do you mean exactly?

Under older Android OSes, I could choose to put working files for my various apps on the SD card rather than on the main phone memory. Since I work with large files (typically pdf files, which could be engineering drawings, aerial photographs, etc.) that I edit in the field (meaning duplication of files to accommodate the edits), I use up memory quickly.

As for 4.2 being a better system for me than 4.4, I just find the newer OS to be more complicated, less user-friendly and more difficult to do simple tasks. Others will, of course, disagree for their own uses, which is fine. Th problem is that Verizon decides what OS I am to use rather than allowing me to make that decision for myself. It's as though Sony (my laptop maker) were to decide I could no longer use Windows 7 and forced me to accept Win8.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

Under older Android OSes, I could choose to put working files for my various apps on the SD card rather than on the main phone memory. Since I work with large files (typically pdf files, which could be engineering drawings, aerial photographs, etc.) that I edit in the field (meaning duplication of files to accommodate the edits), I use up memory quickly.

As for 4.2 being a better system for me than 4.4, I just find the newer OS to be more complicated, less user-friendly and more difficult to do simple tasks. Others will, of course, disagree for their own uses, which is fine. Th problem is that Verizon decides what OS I am to use rather than allowing me to make that decision for myself. It's as though Sony (my laptop maker) were to decide I could no longer use Windows 7 and forced me to accept Win8.
Thanks for the explanation. I had no idea of this.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

One other advantage of having one's working files on the SD card rather than phone memory: if you brick the phone, or even if you simply upgrade, you have all your working files to transfer easily to your new phone. No need to back up and restore (except, of course, for security in the event your SD card fails).

buffdaddy72

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

I'll take Lollipop when it's as rock solid as Kitkat. Don't feel like dealing with all the bugs that the early adopters are going through.

ericandjan

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site

In addition to the SD card issue, I am looking forward to the trusted devices/networks setting. I have a bluetooth speakerphone in my car; however, since I use a fingerprint/strong password lock screen on my Note 4, I cannot tap the speakerphone and/or say "OK Google, send message to" or "OK Google, call" due to the fact that the lock screen must first be cleared using a password. With Lollipop, I can make my bluetooth speakerphone a trusted device, which will allow usage of the phone's voice commands without having to worry about the lock screen getting in the way.

Having a Nexus 7 2013 with Lollipop (received via OTA), I can say that Lollipop seems very quick, and the visual changes are pretty good. One "issue" that I have had since taking Lollipop seems to be that my bluetooth connectivity to my bluetooth speaker (for music streaming) randomly cuts out when streaming from the Nexus 7 on Lollipop. For those who might question this, 1) this never happened while on KitKat 4.4.4, and 2) doesn't happen with my Note 4 on KitKat 4.4.4. It's the same speaker in all cases (JBL Charge), so the only change was the OS level on Nexus 7. Hoping the forthcoming 5.0.2 addresses this issue -- without adding some new problem! :eek:)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Yeah this note on kit Kat purrs...why change it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Exactly, because a lot of the times new updates cause issues and then people complain. If your device is running fine why risk it with a new flashy update? Especially when the main parts are updated through the play store. But seems like January is a good time frame for the update.

BlackDragon22

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site

I'm usually in a rush to download the latest and greatest software, but (shockingly) I'm not in a rush to download Lollipop. After hearing about the bugs and not much being "new", I probably won't update until 5.0.1 or later rolls out.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I'm usually in a rush to download the latest and greatest software, but (shockingly) I'm not in a rush to download Lollipop. After hearing about the bugs and not much being "new", I probably won't update until 5.0.1 or later rolls out.

Best guess is that Note 4 get 5.0.1 or later as first launch.

I am looking forward to the lock screen notifications and 'moto' like enhancements. I am coming from a Droid Maxx, and that is the one feature I am missing the most.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

You can get lock screen notifications using some current apps.

I too want Lollipop but we should be prepared for Samsung's version to look very little like the real L from Google, because TouchWiz is going to be basically unchanged. Other companies like LG, HTC, Motorola, Sony make sure to update their software to adapt to Android. Samsung has the same TouchWiz code that hasn't changed in 4 versions, it still looks pretty much the same and more importantly, the internals are probably the same too which is why we have the same lag.

Flashfox

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site

Good thing??? I don't think so. They have now neutered the uSD card thanks to DRM afcinatos pressure. Apps like Nook and Kindle no longer let you store your books/publications on the uSD card. They claim it's for DRM reasons... yep. This is also why current Nexus devices no longer have uSD ports (Nexus 5, 7, etc.). Now 4.4.2 was out there before these restrictions were imposed. 4.4.4 and Lollipop are definitely more restrictive unless you are one of the people who root their devices.

On my side, I used to root and flash ROMs but that was because the original Android builds were lacking many capabilities. IMHO, today's crop of devices running KitKat or Lollipop don't really need to be rooted. Even the bloatware is inconsequential in these days with quad-core processors. I run a launcher/skin over the stock one and I am OK with that :)

My super-phone history:

• MDA (Windows)
  • DASH (Windows)
  • G1 (rooted)
  • Nexus One (rooted)
  • Vibrant (rooted)
  • HD2 (Windows, then modded to Android)
  • Galaxy S2 (rooted)
  • LG G2x (rooted)
  • Galaxy S3 (rooted)
  • LG/Google Nexus 4 (stock)
  • HTC ONE (stock)