New Note 4 with Snapdragon 810 64 bit and LTE Cat 9 (up to 450mbps down)

ArtVandelay

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Korean Note 4 - Will it work in US on AT&T?

Hey guys:

Long time Note 2 and 3 owner here.

I'm going to be in Seoul mid-next month. I imagine South Korea will have the first Note 4's available. If I buy one there:

• Will the LTE bands be the same on AT&T if I bring it home?
  • Will it have an unlocked bootloader?
  • Will it be carrier unlocked already?

Thanks!

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Korean Note 4 - Will it work in US on AT&T?

I'm pretty sure it will work, since other people already use Korean devices on AT&T.

Posted via Android Central App

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

If you buy it unlocked in S.Korea you should be just fine, now in so far as the LTE bands go that is up in the air for a few more weeks. Worse case scenario you have to use AT&T 4G (HSDPA+) which is still faster than Verizon's LTE in my market.

efstuck

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site

I'm also hitting up Korea mid-September and was reading into this same thing as well.

1) obviously same frequency/bands/cdma/gsm etc as the carrier you plan to use it with - double check that.
2) I read it is not easy to get an off contract phone in korea.
3) It can be more expensive to buy consumer electronics in korea than in the USA (if this applies) as opposed to people just thinking asian countries = cheaper electronics.

Sorry, can't link anything as I am a junior member but google those issues so you can be prepared to buy a beautiful exotic Note 4 on your trip.

Cheers!
Ken

timmy2702

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

You just need to go to AT&T and they will solve your problem. The phone will work fine. My brother had a Korean galaxy s3 before and his phone worked well!

ArtVandelay

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site

I'm also hitting up Korea mid-September and was reading into this same thing as well.

1) obviously same frequency/bands/cdma/gsm etc as the carrier you plan to use it with - double check that.
2) I read it is not easy to get an off contract phone in korea.
3) It can be more expensive to buy consumer electronics in korea than in the USA (if this applies) as opposed to people just thinking asian countries = cheaper electronics.

Sorry, can't link anything as I am a junior member but google those issues so you can be prepared to buy a beautiful exotic Note 4 on your trip.

Cheers!
Ken

It seems like if that LTE bands are the same and it's unlocked, I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work here. Looks like SK Telecom and KT are the compatible companies.

Also, I read that South Korea passed a law saying manufacturers have to unlock the phone for you if you own it.

Do most South Korean Samsung phones have unlocked bootloaders?

Thanks - I'm new to this topic.

isitme

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

it may depend on the manufacturer, but I just got an LG G3 cat 6 that was for SKT and i have now problems with AT&T LTE.

ArtVandelay

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site

Anyone heard word on a South Korean launch date? Looks like all the right bands are there for ATT.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't care if they release a newer version of the Note 4.

Its an incremental update to an already powerful phone.

This obsession with the newest specs is ridiculous. Many of us on these forums replace our phone every year. We can live without a small processor upgrade.

The 805 didn't suddenly become a slouch because the 810 is being used. In fact, the 800 and 801 are still excellent processors.

I'm sure some will care, but not me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't care if they release a newer version of the Note 4.

Its an incremental update to an already powerful phone.

This obsession with the newest specs is ridiculous. Many of us on these forums replace our phone every year. We can live without a small processor upgrade.

The 805 didn't suddenly become a slouch because the 810 is being used. In fact, the 800 and 801 are still excellent processors.

I'm sure some will care, but not me.

Sure some will care but it is always nice to see phones being upgraded more and more.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I consider 64 bit to be a substantial upgrade over 32 bit, If you plan to keep your phone for several years. If you upgrade frequently then it won't matter as much but it could be an indication of what is to come for the s6,similar to how the s5 lte-a was an indication of what was to come on the note 4.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
This phone will only be available in South Korea from what I've read. I posted about it a week ago and have since seen articles suggesting that.

AlfieBriggs

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
This is ridiculous, the spec heads will be changing spending another 700 dollars on an incremental update. Shame on you Samsung!

Posted via my amazing Note 4 paired with my Moto360

Chris Beaudoin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Samsung is releasing a new variant of the Note 4 with the snapdragon 810 64 bit processor and LTE cat 9, capable of aggregating 3-20 MHz carriers for up to 450mbps down. Hopefully this isn't just a SK exclusive.

Samsung announces an even-faster Galaxy Note 4 Samsung announces an even-faster Galaxy Note 4 | Android Central

I'm so tired of this stuff. This is all network dependant. First we have to not be throttled before we can truly enjoy 10,000,000,000 mb/s speeds. Lol. And really samsung, taking a play out of apples playbook? Like the 64 bit processor was just implimented this week? They could have placed it in the note 4 but had to compete with the iphone 6 plus so they pushed it out the door and will now try to make the current 32 bit obsolete. I love samsung but this is nuts. I have the Note edge, and to be honest, they could have placed the 64 bit processor into their "concept" device or their flagship Note 4.

✒✒ Sent from my fantastic and feature rich (And i'd like to point out anything but a fad or gimmick !!) Samsung Galaxy Note Edge. Which has a Samsung Gear S and Samsung Gear Circle paired to it. ✒✒

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm so tired of this stuff. This is all network dependant. First we have to not be throttled before we can truly enjoy 10,000,000,000 mb/s speeds. Lol. And really samsung, taking a play out of apples playbook? Like the 64 bit processor was just implimented this week? They could have placed it in the note 4 but had to compete with the iphone 6 plus so they pushed it out the door and will now try to make the current 32 bit obsolete. I love samsung but this is nuts. I have the Note edge, and to be honest, they could have placed the 64 bit processor into their "concept" device or their flagship Note 4.

✒✒ Sent from my fantastic and feature rich (And i'd like to point out anything but a fad or gimmick !!) Samsung Galaxy Note Edge. Which has a Samsung Gear S and Samsung Gear Circle paired to it. ✒✒
I am on Verizon with the legacy unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE data plan with official unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE hotspot, so I can definitely take advantage of it.

But besides the maximum speed, carrier aggregation will help in areas where towers have high load, aggregating carriers to get better speeds. Currently, in some high load areas during peak times, speeds have slowed to a crawl.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
With regards to waiting, I am guessing that Samsung has capacity issues - it can't churn out two major phones at the same time or in close proximity. Which is probably why Samsung decided to stagger their two major devices. In addition they wanted to put something out for the holiday season to compete with the 6p. While you might be willing to wait, many others aren't and Samsung didn't want to risk the loss of those sales.

Also, the s810 might be available in small numbers now, meaning a small release similar to the s5 lte-a might be doable but for large capacity, they might have to wait even longer - coming even closer to the s6 launch

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't bother me one bit because :
1. It all be Korean only line the S5 lte was
2. By the time 64 bit is the new standard we are going to see a SD 830 +
3. The current notes are still absolute beasts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members