Hello,

I recently got the Galaxy Note 4 (Snapdragon 805), One thing I noticed is the screen seems to get quite hot, I especially notice the top half of the screen is quite a bit hotter than the bottom half.
    I am not sure how reliable the temp readings are, but it shows idle around 43c, 55c on light use and around 70-75c under load. (however it's the screen heat that is of concern to me).

Can anyone tell me if this is normal?, in particular do you notice the top half of the screen is a lot warmer than the bottom half?. (not hot enough to burn but enough to be very obvious) (If anyone could do a quick check it should be quite obvious the heat difference).

it's quite possible I am just being overly fussy, but I also want to be sure I don't have a faulty phone. I can only compare to the Moto G - so it may be that these higher end phones always get this hot?.

Thanks.
    12-30-2014 06:39 AM
    There have been reports of that here. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but the phone is under warranty, so bring it back and check out a live demo phone and see if it also gets as hot as yours (by touch - there are no screen temperature sensors). If not, ask for a replacement. If it does, notify the store by registered mail that you're preserving your warranty by notifying them, while the phone is still in warranty, that the screen on that model of the S4 appears to get abnormally hot and that, if in the future, the screen fails due to overheating, or due to the heat being conducted to it from some other internal component causes the phone to fail, you'll expect them to cover it under the warranty. Attach the return receipt to your copy of the letter and keep it until you trash the phone in years to come.

If the phone does fail due to heat after the warranty expires, you have a good case for an attorney to make a fortune with (at the store's expense, of course), if they take a "the warranty has expired" stance. One letter from an attorney (with bill attached) will probably get you an apology and a request to bring the phone in for a free repair.
    12-30-2014 06:55 AM