Can you use the s pen write to text feature in swiftkey? If so, how do I do it?

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-30-2014 11:17 AM
    No, the S-Pen is a Samsung feature, so the app has to be written to use it. You can use it on Swiftkey to tap the keys, but there's no handwriting button that can bring up a handwriting box that I can find. (It would be nice if there were. Are you listening, Swiftkey Productivity?)
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    12-30-2014 11:41 AM
    Rukbat is right, the writing component of the stock keyboard is hard coded in by Samsung. What you can do is go into settings (for the phone, not SwiftKey) and into Controls - S-Pen and enable direct pen input.

Once enabled a DIFFERENT hand writing recognition program is available by tapping the little blue icon that pops up while hovering the pen over text fields.

12-30-2014 11:58 AM
    Yes you can use the S Pen to write texts on Swiftkey. It was one of the first things I did when I got my Note 4 a few days ago. You just press the S Pen in the area where you type and Select Screen Write. Once you write, it will make those words text.
    Ntchwaidumela and mobiman like this.
    12-30-2014 11:35 PM
    Mk20051 is right. I've seen a lot of posts about losing features after switching launchers or keyboards, but in my experience most aren't true.

Posted via an Amazing Note 4
    12-31-2014 01:03 AM
    It works with Swiftkey no problem, the first few responses saying otherwise are incorrect.
    12-31-2014 09:44 AM
    Just tried this, had no idea it worked. It's pretty cool.
    12-31-2014 10:55 AM
    Hmm, what exactly are we talking about here? My assumption was that the OP was looking for this:

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Swiftkey s pen write to text-standardtextrecognition.png

The only way I know of to get that type of input scren is to have the Samsung keyboard enabled and to long press the microphone icon (orange arrow in screenshot below) to bring up the submenu shown below upon which you can click the handwriting text input icon (red arrow):

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Swiftkey s pen write to text-samsungkeyboardsubmenu.png

As far as I know you can't get that specific handwriting recognition window to pop up with Swiftkey. If there's a way please elaborate with screenshots.

To clarify, pressing the blue icon I noted in post #3 will get you this:

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Swiftkey s pen write to text-directpeninput.png

It's a completely different type of handwriting recognition input screen that will continue to expand as you type more text into a field. It works fine for short text input but if you're trying to write a long paragraph you can quickly run out of space on the screen.

Would love to get to the handwriting input screen shown in the top screenshot while still retaining swiftkey as the active keyboard but my understanding has always been that the input method shown there was hard coded into Samsung's keyboard app. Maybe I'm missing a setting in Swiftkey though.
    dr_rajal likes this.
    12-31-2014 11:10 AM
    thoroughly comprehensively elaborated idk about others but I was looking for this exact answer πŸ‘πŸΏπŸ‘πŸΏ
    12-25-2015 06:51 AM
    I use the app Stylus Beta. Any required text input pulls up the Stylus app, which works quite well. Lots of shortcuts via gestures, etc.
    12-26-2015 04:16 PM