Note 4 Quality Control?

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

Yeah...it doesnt have a cannon or Olympic camera on it...but in the sheer realm of phone cameras it is above most. My daughters lgg3 camera is better...but I'm Not a photographer either. I just hold the shoot button and take 30 pics at once and keep the ones I like. I have learned with motion Not to just take a single pic...I will be disappointed.

I think that's where there is a disconnect. Its Not a phone on a camera...it is a camera on a phone.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah...it doesnt have a cannon or Olympic camera on it...but in the sheer realm of phone cameras it is above most. My daughters lgg3 camera is better...but I'm Not a photographer either. I just hold the shoot button and take 30 pics at once and keep the ones I like. I have learned with motion Not to just take a single pic...I will be disappointed.

I think that's where there is a disconnect. Its Not a phone on a camera...it is a camera on a phone.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

In this instance something is WRONG with the camera. It taking 15-30 seconds to initially focus is indicative of a problem not overblown expectations.

💸 from the S5 💸 🔋📱

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
In this instance something is WRONG with the camera. It taking 15-30 seconds to initially focus is indicative of a problem not overblown expectations.

💸 from the S5 💸 🔋📱

Focus is fine...I just know in low light or any light for that matter Not to expect the same results from my note 4 that I do from my $1200 cannon. $1200 cannon gives great results all the time...Note 4 Not so much.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I got ya. You meant the person in the links focus was bad. Sorry bout that. If they think they have a problem or anyone for that matter then by all means they should take it back because they do have a problem. Perception is in the eyes of the beholder.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just want to make a couple points about QA:

1. Samsung sold 4.5 million Note 4 units in their first month. They've got to be up to 10 or 12 million by now. They can't check every feature on every phone before it leaves the factory...there's just not enough time or employees to do that. (Can you imagine the size of that checklist?)

2. Electronics are delicate and very, very tiny. There is just so little room for error that any manufacturing defect can introduce problems. Which leads to...

3. Samsung is not the sole manufacturer of this phone. The main processor and GPU are made by Qualcomm (US variants), the screen is made by Corning, the camera is made by Sony, the GPS chip is made by Broadcom, all the s-pen functionality runs on Wacom technology, the audio processor is made by Wolfson, the barometer is made by Bosh, and a whole host of other companies like Yamaha, Maxim, TDK, TI and Murata contribute parts. The quality of the phone is highly dependent on the quality of each of these parts, and in turn, on the QA processes of each of these companies.

So if 100 bad GPS chips come off the assembly line at Broadcom, you get 100 defective Note 4 units with bad GPS functionality.

4. The phones pass through a lot of hands before they get to you. They are partly assembled by machine and partly by hand. They are boxed, warehoused, shipped all over the world using a variety of shipping services, warehoused with distributors, shipped to vendor warehouses, distributed to individual outlets and handled by the people who stock the shelves. At any point, a box of phones could fall off a truck or high shelf. While the packaging will prevent most damage, a box could fall at just the right angle to break a piece of solder or crack a lens. Angle is everything. How many of you have lifted heavy crap all over the place only to hurt your back with something relatively light because you "picked it up wrong"? Same principle.

So basically, what I'm saying is that these phones are very delicate devices and there are a lot of potential reasons why one may end up in your hands not operating at 100%. I don't think it's fair to blame Samsung's QA when so many factors are outside their control.

Actually, now that I think about it, it's damn near a miracle any of these things work in the first place. Must be magic.
It is Samsung's responsibility to create a good final product regardless of where the parts are sourced as they chose the source . they could have chosen to use a Samsung camera like with the s5, but chose otherwise. Apple holds its suppliers to the strictest requirements and will return stuff if they aren't satisfied.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
...Apple holds its suppliers to the strictest requirements and will return stuff if they aren't satisfied. Apple also has the lowest defective rate.

This is Not true. Apple denied 1000s of claims with the loop gate and bend gate amongst other faulty parts that were and are in the 6 and 6+. Particularly the fualty sub par interface adapter that caused the loop problems. It was Not until they took heat from the press that they even decided to look at it.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
It is Samsung's responsibility to create a good final product regardless of where the parts are sourced as they chose the source . they could have chosen to use a Samsung camera like with the s5, but chose otherwise. Apple holds its suppliers to the strictest requirements and will return stuff if they aren't satisfied.

Yett they sell thousands of faulty phones. Point is, no one is able to produce millions of phones without making faulty phones.

Posted via the Android Central App

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
This is Not true. Apple denied 1000s of claims with the loop gate and bend gate amongst other faulty parts that were and are in the 6 and 6+. Particularly the fualty sub par interface adapter that caused the loop problems. It was Not until they took heat from the press that they even decided to look at it.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

Yes you are correct. They kinda screwed those "victims" who's phones where bend. They denied everything early on and said the phone was perfectly fine.

After taking loads of heat they suddenly made a 360 and changed it.

Posted via the Android Central App

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
OP: you should start a thread: Post here if you have a perfect Note 4 without issues.

I can honestly say that any issues I have had, have ALL been Android OS, not the phone.
Mine is fast, no "gap" around the display some reported, I never have dropped a single call yet.
Camera is perfect, fast, etc. Battery life is AMAZING, I never, ever, ever, worry about battery life making it thru my day.
I usually charge after 18 hours off the charger and I still have 40% or more left.

I love this phone and I am Not a samsung fanboy. I used to bash samesung for copying Every move apple makes and massive amounts of LAG.
This Note 4 runs smooth as silk. I am impressed.

Here is The Most important thing to remember when it comes to cell phones users. PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS.
Some people do All kinds of Stupid **** to their phones and then blame it on Samsung.

example: "Samsung is ****. I just dropped my phone off a 12 story building and it hit 7 balconies on the way down, took out a cat, a dog, and a bird, then bounced off the roof of a van and this kid ran over it with a skateboard, AND THE SCREEN BROKE!!!! WTF!! I bought a paper thin case from amazon for $1.17, there is NO reason this phone should have broke... Samsung makes garbage, cheap phones!!! "

Sadly, even tho that looks as if I am exaggerating, I'm not too far off from the truth.

People are Dumb. They treat their $825 phone like we used to treat our plastic flip phones from 1995. You Can't do that.
People SHOULD treat their Note 4 like a $900 computer that fits in their pocket, but they don't.
Some people side load apps and all kinds of garbage and have 10 viruses and 50 malware apps on their phone and have no idea why its lagging....
Take what people say with a grain of salt.

I would make a thread about perfect Notes, but AC removes or moves every single new thread I start.
People can start threads about how their S Pen smells, but If I start a thread, it goes away.
Thinking of moving my clicks over to XDA and Droid life because of it. I am limited to responding to others threads. None of my threads are acceptable.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
OP: you should start a thread: Post here if you have a perfect Note 4 without issues.

I can honestly say that any issues I have had, have ALL been Android OS, not the phone.
Mine is fast, no "gap" around the display some reported, I never have dropped a single call yet.
Camera is perfect, fast, etc. Battery life is AMAZING, I never, ever, ever, worry about battery life making it thru my day.
I usually charge after 18 hours off the charger and I still have 40% or more left.

I love this phone and I am Not a samsung fanboy. I used to bash samesung for copying Every move apple makes and massive amounts of LAG.
This Note 4 runs smooth as silk. I am impressed.

Here is The Most important thing to remember when it comes to cell phones users. PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS.
Some people do All kinds of Stupid **** to their phones and then blame it on Samsung.

example: "Samsung is ****. I just dropped my phone off a 12 story building and it hit 7 balconies on the way down, took out a cat, a dog, and a bird, then bounced off the roof of a van and this kid ran over it with a skateboard, AND THE SCREEN BROKE!!!! WTF!! I bought a paper thin case from amazon for $1.17, there is NO reason this phone should have broke... Samsung makes garbage, cheap phones!!! "

Sadly, even tho that looks as if I am exaggerating, I'm not too far off from the truth.

People are Dumb. They treat their $825 phone like we used to treat our plastic flip phones from 1995. You Can't do that.
People SHOULD treat their Note 4 like a $900 computer that fits in their pocket, but they don't.
Some people side load apps and all kinds of garbage and have 10 viruses and 50 malware apps on their phone and have no idea why its lagging....
Take what people say with a grain of salt.

I would make a thread about perfect Notes, but AC removes or moves every single new thread I start.
People can start threads about how their S Pen smells, but If I start a thread, it goes away.
Thinking of moving my clicks over to XDA and Droid life because of it. I am limited to responding to others threads. None of my threads are acceptable.

Classic!! LMAO! Best post I've read all year!

:p

Seriously, this replacement Note 4 is without flaw and I love it. I baby all my phones, usually (I have an old iPhone 4 that I kinda mistreated this past summer and it cost me some $$ to resuscitate her). My Note 4 is the matriarch of my phone family and a true queen she is...majestic in her ways.

from the IV✒

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Here's what happens in the REAL world of Consumer Electronics..

In that world, a 3% defective rate is considered normal and acceptable; I know this after spending many years in an executive capacity in it.
So, if samsung "made" 12 million of these units so far, 3% or MORE of them, are bound to have defects of some sort, so do the math, and you can see how many bad ones there are out there; add to that, the ones that get borked in shipping, and that number climbs even higher.
All you can do is check yours out thoroughly once you get it, and if you find anything wrong, exchange it immediately.
Those are the facts, like them or not..

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

In that world, a 3% defective rate is considered normal and acceptable; I know this after spending many years in an executive capacity in it.
So, if samsung "made" 12 million of these units so far, 3% or MORE of them, are bound to have defects of some sort, so do the math, and you can see how many bad ones there are out there; add to that, the ones that get borked in shipping, and that number climbs even higher.
All you can do is check yours out thoroughly once you get it, and if you find anything wrong, exchange it immediately.

This is true. And 3% is being Nice. Each company can set their own benchmarks for quality and other use 6 sigma. Truthfully if you want the product from the company that set the benchmark in the world for 6 sigma then that would be anything Motorola. Make it right and make it right the first time. Save money and make a good product.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, I think my question boils down to how much would the Note 4 need to cost for it to have notably less issues than the competition? How much would it need to cost for some of that cost to be directed at higher quality control? $1000? $1200? $2000?

from the IV✒

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

Well said.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Well, I think my question boils down to how much would the Note 4 need to cost for it to have notably less issues than the competition?

I think you need to hang out in some other device forums. Every major phone sees issues on this level.

I just checked the M8 forum and it's full of complaints about battery life, camera issues, bad software updates, and all the random things you see in here (one had inconsistent Bluetooth streaming, another's screen doesn't rotate any more, and another one just had a black screen).

If you go into any other device forum, you'll see people complaining about that device.

The competition has just as many problems as Samsung.

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Well, I think my question boils down to how much would the Note 4 need to cost for it to have notably less issues than the competition? How much would it need to cost for some of that cost to be directed at higher quality control? $1000? $1200? $2000?

from the IV✒

This is such a difficult question to answer without a lot of rhetoric. If any company thought you would pay double the current fair market value for their product then decisions about quality would be asked and made differently throughout the entire manufacturing process. It's all about profit margins. But if profit is going to be there regardless then they would do it. Gotta keep the investors happy

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I think for a practically flawless (operating system mainly) phone to reach the masses there would have to be another Steve Jobs.

Yeah the guy was a ****, but when he was at the helm, products that came out were practically flawless unless random hardware problems.

For some CEO to be that OCD about a device, especially a conglomerate like Samsung (they don't just make phones and TVs) the entire company would suffer. So they delegate.

Also with technology being so new with any phone, it almost seems like there isn't time to perfect any component before it is replaced by a next gen that does different things. When phones were coming out every 2 years or so, there was lots of time for Apple to perfect their software, it seems that with the loss of Steve Jobs and the speeding up of production etc for a yearly release, things get lost along the wayside.

I love new tech, but I do admit it would be better on my wallet if there was a release every second year or so. As it is, I paid outright for this phone (Note 4) to keep my grandfathered plan as it is carriers sole goal in life to screw us out of our last dollar (at least in Canada).

For this phone, I also know that Samsung pushed hard and fast to get out a more timely release to compete with Apple, which was **** poor planning on their part. They should have learned from their number one competitor and waited until they were ready to release the phone, or planned it in advance to be out before the iPhone 6+ release. Proactive vs reactive which may have had some impact on quality control, it's hard to say.

Summing up a windy post, I love this phone and it is working amazing. I think other than my very first iPhone (4) which is still being used in my family, that if this phone stands the test of time for at minimum 2 years it will take the top rank for me.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I think you need to hang out in some other device forums. Every major phone sees issues on this level.

I just checked the M8 forum and it's full of complaints about battery life, camera issues, bad software updates, and all the random things you see in here (one had inconsistent Bluetooth streaming, another's screen doesn't rotate any more, and another one just had a black screen).

If you go into any other device forum, you'll see people complaining about that device.

The competition has just as many problems as Samsung.

My point is that the Note 4 doesn't cost what every other phone cost. It cost significantly more. What I'm reading here is that I shouldn't expect less faulty units or higher quality for the increased cost. The Note 4 doesn't cost $600 or $700. It cost $825. It cost more so I was feeling that we should expect more quality, not just more features. What I've read here seems to indicate that despite the higher cost we shouldn't expect less faulty units than say a Moto G or S3 Mini. I comprehend that.

To put it another way, I expect my BMW M4 to have higher build quality, and reliability than a Nissan 370Z, not just higher performance. I may have incorrect expectations and can accept that.

EDIT: This was just a case of me having the wrong expectations. Thanks all that set me straight.

Last edited: