Note 4 Bluetooth "skipping" audio.

hotzeug

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I've found several forums talking about this issue, but none ever ended with a fix to the problem. I just got my Note 4 on Tuesday and was trying to use my Bluetooth receiver (Sony Erricson MW600) while listening to music, but it cuts out every minute or so for about a second. The music continues, so when the audio comes back on the song will be a second later than when it stopped. I tried some things that others have suggested like: turning off wi-fi, using a Bluetooth app such as "Bluetooth Auto Connect," taking the battery out and trying it again, closing "S Health," unpairing and then pairing again, and I think there may have been a few other things I tried but can't remember. My music is just being played through the "Music" app, and the files are stored on a Samsung Pro MicroSDXC.
Is there anything else that has worked for others with the same problem? Thanks for the help! Oh, and could the version of Bluetooth have an effect on the problem I'm having (like if my receiver isn't 4.1)?

Last edited:

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue but mine is more of a "blip" or a "hitch" every once in a while instead of a cutting out of the music. This using my new BlueBuds X headphones and streaming Slacker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

heathersimon

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I have a similar issue, but the "skips" are a fraction of a second. Long enough for me to notice, but not a huge deal overall. This has been occurring with Spotify and my the Bluetooth in my car's head unit (stock 2011 Subaru Impreza).

hotzeug

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I guess mine is a "skip" for a fraction of a second too, and not actually a full second or more. It wouldn't bother me as much if it didn't happen too often, but it'll do it about 3 times a song. My previous phone (Note 2) had no problems.

heathersimon

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
My old Lumia 1020 would regularly just drop my Bluetooth connection to the car all the time and not re-connect until I rebooted the phone and stopped and restarted the car. :\ This is an improvement, but not as solid as I used to get from an iPhone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't have this issue unless I walk a good amount away from the phone .. then it may skip a little but it is fine whenever I am generally near the device.

hotzeug

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I don't have this issue unless I walk a good amount away from the phone .. then it may skip a little but it is fine whenever I am generally near the device.

Thanks for the input. I am only using Bluetooth since my case's audio jack opening isn't large enough for the plug to fit in (need to get a slim plug adapter), so my Bluetooth receiver was actually only about 2 feet away from my phone when I was using it.

Mojofilter9

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I have this issue, it happens when my Fitbit background syncs. Do you all have other BT connected devices by any chance?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

George Collins1

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue using Google Play with downloaded music on a Sasung Pro micro SD, conncect to Samsung Level Over (or any other) BT headphones. I also have a Gear S connected by BT. I have also had the issue when using wired headphones,so I don't think BT is the problem. I used to have a SanDisk SD card, and thought that might be the cause, so I switched to a Samsung Pro but the issue remains. I don't think it is the music files, because the skip doesn't always occur at the same place in playback. Still a mystery.

Posted via the Android Central App

hotzeug

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Mine doesn't skip when wired, and I don't have any other BT devices connected. I've found in other phone forums that people with different phones started having a similar problem when they updated to KitKat. Maybe an update is needed to help us out...?

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I also have this with my JayBird Blubuds using the PowerAmp app for music. I get a skip about once a track, occasionally a little more. Turing off the phone line and WiFi had no effect - however, I found that if I left the screen on that I got absolutely no dropouts at all - none. I set the screen brightness to zero to maintain battery and timeout to never. Not what I would call a great workaround but it does work for me. It would be interesting to see if others find the same result.

hotzeug

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I also have this with my JayBird Blubuds using the PowerAmp app for music. I get a skip about once a track, occasionally a little more. Turing off the phone line and WiFi had no effect - however, I found that if I left the screen on that I got absolutely no dropouts at all - none. I set the screen brightness to zero to maintain battery and timeout to never. Not what I would call a great workaround but it does work for me. It would be interesting to see if others find the same result.

Thanks for the info. I will try this out on Monday.

hotzeug

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
sparksd's tip of leaving the screen on seems to help since it isn't skipping audio for me. Kind of goofy that we have to use this workaround though. Hopefully it will get fixed with an update or something. How do you keep your screen on without it timing out? Under my settings, 10 minutes is the longest I can keep it on. So I've been using a magazine app (Zinio) that doesn't turn the screen off when a magazine is open.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
sparksd's tip of leaving the screen on seems to help since it isn't skipping audio for me. Kind of goofy that we have to use this workaround though. Hopefully it will get fixed with an update or something. How do you keep your screen on without it timing out? Under my settings, 10 minutes is the longest I can keep it on. So I've been using a magazine app (Zinio) that doesn't turn the screen off when a magazine is open.

Interesting that this works - thanks for the test. I don't like the workaround but it would be useful info for the Android developers to know in order to debug the problem.

I use an app/widget to keep the screen on:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chemdroid.screentimeouttoggle

Rarry

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I read elsewhere that the skipping problem might be caused when the CPU speed drops too low so keeping the screen on would make sense. It seems it might be a problem introduced by kitkat. That aimed to be a big power saver but maybe they went too far with some things? Samsung and Google engineers will be busy making sure devices work well with lollipop though, not kitkat, so I guess we just have to wait and see if this and other glitches get fixed when we see it. Fingers crossed.

Posted via the Android Central App

shizam76

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I've had this skip issue. Or "spit" and "sputter" sound. I've only had this happen while listening to TuneIn radio stations. It seemed bad last week...happening every 45 seconds to 2 minutes of audio. Today I think in 15 minutes I've had it happen once. I then fired up iHeartMedia stations and it didn't happen.

GundamZero1972

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Exactly the same issue with my Bose Soundlink Mini Bluetooth speaker, streaming music from Google Play. Actually sent the speaker back for testing just in case too, but the problem is definitely with the Note 4 (all other phones and devices tested with the speaker worked perfectly).

Glad I found this thread, because I was on the verge of sending the phone away for testing too. I'm kind of relieved that the issue is linked to the handset in general rather than just being an issue with my own handset! I'll try the 'keep the screen on' solution when I get the chance and report back on whether it works or not.

Eric16

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Having the same problem with my Boss soundlink mini speaker and powerbeats 2. With my speaker I will have it literally 2 inches away from my phone and still cuts in and out. Bluetooth my powerbeats or another random headset is TERRIBLE outside

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc