Note 4 Bluetooth "skipping" audio.

Cool Dave

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I didn't have this issue with the Bluetooth skipping on my Verizon Galaxy Note 4 before upgrading to Lollipop this past weekend. Do you think performing a factory reset will fix the issue? I don't want to do a factory reset if it isn't going to fix the problem. However, it seems like it might since I didn't have the issue until upgrading to Lollipop.

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I didn't have this issue with the Bluetooth skipping on my Verizon Galaxy Note 4 before upgrading to Lollipop this past weekend. Do you think performing a factory reset will fix the issue? I don't want to do a factory reset if it isn't going to fix the problem. However, it seems like it might since I didn't have the issue until upgrading to Lollipop.

No, it will not. It still does it after. Hopefully they will fix it with enough people complaining

Geej 11

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I've upgraded to lollipop and it's still an issue
I have poweramp premium, only thing that stops it is keeping the screen on, impossible to do while driving. It's so annoying.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

Cool Dave

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Is this problem at all caused because of upgrading to Lollipop? I never experienced this problem until I upgraded to Lollipop on my Verizon Galaxy Note 4. I am getting a replacement phone tomorrow. Should I not upgrade that phone to Lollipop to avoid this happening again?

Grovzy1080

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Some problem for me as well. My sons S5 and S5 active do the same thing only his active is the worst. Even after the update to Lollipop Im still noticing this.

Posted via the Android Central App

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Is this problem at all caused because of upgrading to Lollipop? I never experienced this problem until I upgraded to Lollipop on my Verizon Galaxy Note 4. I am getting a replacement phone tomorrow. Should I not upgrade that phone to Lollipop to avoid this happening again?

No, it is/was also present on KitKat.

mrcil20

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I had an iPhone 5 in the past and started to get this bluetooth glitch after upgrading to ios 8 (not the only problem by the way). My son has a Dell Venue tablet on 4.2.2 and has that glich with his headphones. I have a Note 4 and never had the problem while on KitKat but now I have since Lollipop update...
I did factory reset, cleared cache pair, unpair etc with no luck. It doesn't happen too often on my phone so I can deal with it but my son's headphones are practically unusable.

I really don't think the problem is only related to the Note 4. For sure, it is software related but I can't figure out finding a relation between all devices.

sirbogoff

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok. So I can add some silliness to this. I have a note 3 and using lollipop on AT&T. I have tried three different brands of headphones. Right now powerbeats 2, 2 different pairs (mine and my wife's).. Here is the silliness. They only skip when I am walking and the phone is in my pocket (front or back pocket) and I look to the left. Yes, that is correct. They do not skip if I look right, only left. I can have the cable behind my neck or in front.. it does not matter. If I look left, they start to skip. I look forward and all is well. If I look up, down or right all is well.. So, any suggestions? I am going to try my wife's phone tonight.. Also a note 3.:'(

Greg Swan

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
There are lots of sensors in the phone from gravity to motion. It's possible one or more of those sensors sucks a tiny bit of cpu -- enough to cause the hiccup -- when the cpu is in low state.

neurocy

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I have this problem too and it seems that setting the Bluetooth Visibility Timeout (tap the ... in the corner of the Bluetooth settings) to Never Timeout helps (haven't had skips for 30+ minutes now). Not sure what this will do to the battery life (or if its gonna keep working).

neurocy

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Seems it didn't completely solve the problem (or maybe not at all) -- once I got up and started walking the problem came back. :-(

Lawrence Wagner

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I got the same problem with my sprint galaxy note 4 it does not matter if its bluetooth or wired headphones with the screen off it skips .. I contacted samsung and could you believe they told me that they never heard of thiss issue ... Really

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I seem to have some luck with turning off location completely when streaming. Which blows if you want to use navigation while steaming

eprklims

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
So I didn't have skips until lollipop. However I have been using Car Dashdroid which keeps the screen on as part of its functionality and there seems to be some bugs on lollipop that have broken the screen on feature particularly after a phone call. I'm working on it with the developer. It is a great app for many reasons though and I'm loving the setup when it works. It also keeps 'ok google' working because the screen is on. That always seems hit or miss with me on the note. You might want to give it a try to see if it helps. I'm sure he will track down the bug and probably before google fixes this

Posted via the Android Central App

lukeam841

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I have this problem on my OnePlus One. I just flashed OxygenOS (lollipop), and this issue came up. I had it a tiny bit before, but rarely. Now it happens every minute or so. And sometimes it will get really quiet all of the sudden, like it wants to play a notification sound or something, but my phone is on vibrate. The only way to get the volume to come back up is to pause and unpause the music. I haven't tried the "screen on" method, but there's no way I'm actually going to use it. That's insane. I own a pebble, but everything was pretty much fine until I got lollipop.
EDIT: I tried the screen on method. It doesn't help for me, at least not short-term.

Last edited:

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
My Verizon note 2 never did it. That's why I was blown away that a phone 2 generations newer did it

Lol. Note 2, Samsung Galaxy S3, and now Note 4 all have it. I'm surprised you didn't have it with your note 2. I used the Note 2 for 18 months, bugged me every day I went out for a run with my bluetooth speakers.

Greg Swan

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Some notes for those who want to experiment. I've managed to eliminate most of my drop-outs.

Here are the specifics of my situation: Verizon Galaxy Note 4. Drop-outs began immediately after upgrade to Lollipop 5.01 from Kitkat 4.4. My Note 4 also went crazy because I had put some apps on the sdcard and apps were going crazy and overheating the phone. I did a factory reset and restored my data. The overheating and other problems ended, but I continued to have drops on bluetooth audio. I previously owned a Samsung Galaxy S3 last running Kitkat 4.4.2 and previously running versions of Jelly Bean. I used the same Sony blue tooth headphones and the same installed apps across all these phone/os combinations. Everything has been stock except I had to towelroot Kitkat on the S3 but only to access my sdcard. On all phones, I would experience drop-outs when:
1. Phone was placed next to the wireless adapter on a desktop computer or just near a notebook computer or near a wireless mouse or keyboard. (RF interference I assume)
2. A running microwave oven or other RF interference source was present nearby.
3. If I walked outside with the phone in my pocket and there were no walls or objects for the phone to bounce the bluetooth signal off of. I could always fix this problem by taking the phone out of my back pocket and giving it straight line-of-site to the headphone receiver.
4. When I separated the bluetooth headphones and phone by too much distance, especially if things like metal studs were between headphones and phone.

None of the above 4 items are what I consider to be the "stutter" or "drop" problem we're discussing. All of the above are related to wireless issues and every phone has those. I previously had two problems with drop-outs on my S3 and Note 4 before Lollipop:
1. Drop-outs initially when I plugged the phone into a computer's USB port.
2. Drop-outs when a background app download or update finished and the app was installed and then scanned by various software packages such as Clueful.

At this point, I'm mostly down to the above two drop-out problems. I still receive occasional mystery drops, but not a drop every 2-10 minutes almost all the time like it was before I started fiddling. Drop-outs are quite noticeable to me because I listen to mp3 audiobooks using the Maple app. Missing a few words is very annoying. I also had the same drop out problems with Spotify. I do not run the location service on my Note 4 and I do not connect the phone to my car stereo. Instead, I wear the Sony bluetooth headphones. Leaving the screen on DID fix my problem as almost everyone has reported here. However, after I fiddled with my phone, I no longer need to leave the screen on most of the time.

Sorry for that lengthy preamble, but this particular problem seems to manifest itself differently in different situations and with different uses. (Which, I think, argues for a CPU management or similar kernel-type issue.) Here is what I did and hopefully there isn't something I'm forgetting:

1. Turned off Lollipop's new lock screen notifications. Settings..Sound and Notification..While Locked..Do not show notifications. Initially I turned off everything lock screen related and slowly put the stuff back until I settled on the notifications as making a difference.
2. Turn on Developer options. Settings..About phone..Build number. Tap build number until enabled.
3. Turn off Lollipop's new feature that runs audio through USB. Developer options..Prevent USB Audio Routing This one seemed to make a difference sometimes.
4. Reboot. Don't skip this step.

I believe that took care of most of it for me, except for the occasional mystery problems. In the interests of full disclosure, I also started disabling background programs I didn't need. If it's a CPU management problem, theoretically, disabling background programs can help because these apps are always running in the background and can become active and eat cycles, possibly without kicking the cpu up a notch in speed. In general, your phone and your privacy will be happier without some of these. Here's how to disable background apps if you want to play with it:

1. Locate an app to disable. Clear running apps so they don't confuse you. Tap your phone's Task switcher (left) button. Close all. Then, go to Settings..Developer Options..Process Stats Look for apps running in the background that you really don't use. For example, I disabled the NFL app. Unless you are really desperate, don't disable anything you use and don't disable system apps.
2. Disable the app. Go to Settings..Applications..Application Manager..flick screen to left until "All" is showing toward the top of screen. Scroll down to the app you want to disable and tap. Click Disable button.

When disabling apps, I rebooted, checked to make sure they were gone from the background app list in Developer Options and then waited a day to see if I thought there was any difference. I never hit on anything where I said "That's the one." However, perhaps cumulatively with my other changes, disabling apps might have made part of the difference. If things hadn't stabilized about a week ago, the next app I was going after was Yahoo weather, which seemed to always be doing something including changing my lock screen wallpaper. My theory is the new lock screen is a part of the problem, but who knows for sure?

Good luck experimenting. Hope you find a fix and that my problems don't come back anytime soon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc