Note 4 Bluetooth "skipping" audio.

dmagikwand

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Having battled with this issue since I bought the phone, I recently tried something that at this time appears to have fixed it for me.

That said, what I have done is turn on the Ultra Power Savings mode and then turn it back off so that my phone is not in any sort of power savings mode. At that point I have no skips or other issues with my music through blue tooth UNTIL I reboot the phone for any reason. Then the problem reappears until I do the on then off of the Ultra Power Savings mode.

Does this work for anyone else?

Not for me.
I turned on Ultra
Connected Bluetooth
Turned off Ultra
Works fine until screen turns off as usual and then it
still Skips about every 40 seconds or so on both stock player, Pandora, etc.

Was there any specific order you did these steps?

dmagikwand

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Going back to the idea that this problem is related to CPU slowdown: I found this app on the Play Store (RedEye Stay Awake):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.binarymagi.redeye.free&hl=en

I downloaded the free version and have been trying it out. With this enabled and the screen turned off, I've listened to several songs consecutively over Bluetooth without a single skip. I'm not ready to commit to this as a confirmed workaround yet but I wanted to get this out there for others to give a try.

I've downloaded it and am willing to experiment. Could you confirm the Red Eye settings you are using (e.g Awake level, etc)?

dmagikwand

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Having battled with this issue since I bought the phone, I recently tried something that at this time appears to have fixed it for me.

That said, what I have done is turn on the Ultra Power Savings mode and then turn it back off so that my phone is not in any sort of power savings mode. At that point I have no skips or other issues with my music through blue tooth UNTIL I reboot the phone for any reason. Then the problem reappears until I do the on then off of the Ultra Power Savings mode.

Does this work for anyone else?

I forgot to ask, are you running Lollipop or Kitkat and what version?

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I've downloaded it and am willing to experiment. Could you confirm the Red Eye settings you are using (e.g Awake level, etc)?

Been playing with it and finding that it has some wonky behavior on the Note 4 (at least on mine). After I open the app once and it starts its service, I can no longer open the app though I can toggle the enable/disable it through its notification icon. I have to force stop it and then select the Open option for it in the Play Store to open the app. Also, it seems to have short-term effects on the back button. I was choosing "CPU Only" awake level, don't start on boot, don't enable at start, disable on low battery, don't enable on AC, don't disable when screen off, don't disable icon.

Soreloser

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I turned the phone on, connected bluetooth, set it in Ultra, turned ultra off, reconnected bluetooth; Running AT&T Lollipop. I use the Google Music player. I do not use any streaming like Pandora, just music I have put on the phone. I am not using any memory card either. just the built in memory on the phone.

dmagikwand

May 18, 2015
Visit site
I'm starting to think mine is a hardware defect. If I have my phone in my picket and push it against my leg, it skips every time. And if I have the battery door off and push hard just to the right of the camera it skips too. Maybe a sensor?

I took apart, pressed and prodded as hard as I could without fear of breaking something over every inch of the back of the device several times and I couldn't tell any difference by anything I did. Sometimes I would get a stutter but I was never able to duplicate anything so I chalk it up to the usual random skipping.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Going back to the idea that this problem is related to CPU slowdown: I found this app on the Play Store (RedEye Stay Awake):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.binarymagi.redeye.free&hl=en

I downloaded the free version and have been trying it out. With this enabled and the screen turned off, I've listened to several songs consecutively over Bluetooth without a single skip. I'm not ready to commit to this as a confirmed workaround yet but I wanted to get this out there for others to give a try.

After more testing, using this app doesn't seem to make a difference. Also had skips running with the timer app mentioned in earlier posts. Went back to using the screen-on workaround and no more skips. Think I'll just stick with that.

dmagikwand

May 18, 2015
Visit site
I turned the phone on, connected bluetooth, set it in Ultra, turned ultra off, reconnected bluetooth; Running AT&T Lollipop. I use the Google Music player. I do not use any streaming like Pandora, just music I have put on the phone. I am not using any memory card either. just the built in memory on the phone.

It is not working for me but I went back down to Kitkat 4.4.4 from Lollipop 5.0 awhile back so Kitkat is what I used to try it. Is there anybody else out there that tried this that is running Lollipop? I took me some time and effort to get back down to 4.4.4 and I'd rather hear feedback from others before I re-upgrade to 5.0 to try this. Anyone?

dmagikwand

May 18, 2015
Visit site
After more testing, using this app doesn't seem to make a difference. Also had skips running with the timer app mentioned in earlier posts. Went back to using the screen-on workaround and no more skips. Think I'll just stick with that.

I gave the RedEye app a shot as well. I did it both with just the CPU awake and the fully awake feature and the screen off. Even gave them the 0.99 cents for the full version. I noticed maybe a bit longer between skips, but only gave it about an hour before I gave up.
I also ran the timer app, the RedEye app and turned on the "assistive light" simultaneously for awhile with the screen off and no real improvement.
I'm even starting to believe the overall audio quality in addition to the skips is poorer with the screen off. Tinny highs, muddier sounding mids and lows, closer to distortion at higher volumes with screen off. More apparent in well produced rock music that has many layers than in, say, something like a Norah Jones track where there might purposely be more empty space between the vocals and instrumentation. Observations with headphones at higher volumes. This is a listener subjective statement of course...I can't prove it.

I'll stick with the "screen on" workaround for now as well *sigh*.

Last edited:

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I think the bluetooth radio goes into too low of a power state when the screen is off. Mine barely reaches my head unit when I stand right outside my driver's door

lawrence_author

May 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure if the problem has already been solved, but yesterday I went out for my daily walk and began having the skipping problem right from the start. In fact, the skipping only happens when I'm out on my walk. I've yet to have it happen at home. This time, it skipped once or twice EACH song. I normally have my Note 4 in a front pouch around my waist. Frustrated, I decided to try something different. I took my phone out and held it as I walked. For the next hour or so, it did it only twice. When it did skip, I noticed it did it when I held it waist high or lower. Perhaps the solution is not to have it too enclosed and not too far away from the earbuds or is this just a wishful thinking? I'll be looking for such a holder to confirm my "theory". Once or twice an hour I can live with.

Has anyone else tried this (or any other) "experiment"? I'd love to hear other possible solutions. Thanks.

Lawrence

samwifi

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if the problem has already been solved, but yesterday I went out for my daily walk and began having the skipping problem right from the start. In fact, the skipping only happens when I'm out on my walk. I've yet to have it happen at home. This time, it skipped once or twice EACH song. I normally have my Note 4 in a front pouch around my waist. Frustrated, I decided to try something different. I took my phone out and held it as I walked. For the next hour or so, it did it only twice. When it did skip, I noticed it did it when I held it waist high or lower. Perhaps the solution is not to have it too enclosed and not too far away from the earbuds or is this just a wishful thinking? I'll be looking for such a holder to confirm my "theory". Once or twice an hour I can live with.

Has anyone else tried this (or any other) "experiment"? I'd love to hear other possible solutions. Thanks.

Lawrence

I've tried using the note in all different positions/elevations etc.. and still have the problem. I'm convinced it's really not a blue tooth issue. I can connect and talk on a Plantronics headset all day without one skip. Somehow when the phone goes into standby, Google/samsung allow other things to interfere with the smooth playing of music. Or the cpu goes into a state it can't smoothly sustain the playing of music. Very frustrating and personally, this is the last straw for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(8114070)

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
OK, since more than just me have found the screen left on helping, I posted a bug report on Google:

Issue 95294: Bluetooth streaming audio dropouts when screen is off, Android 4.4.4

When streaming music over Bluetooth, audio dropouts are occurring when the screen is off. If the screen is left on the audio dropouts do not occur. Multiple users are seeing this behavior with the Samsung Note 4 running 4.4.4 (http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4/477341-note-4-bluetooth-skipping-audio.html).

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list

I just read through the entire issue list for this (https://code.google.com/p/android/i...atus Owner Summary Stars&id=95294#makechanges) and found no solution but it did trigger a possible fix for me. Following is what seems to be working for me.
Possible Solution
I have the GS5 Lollipop 5.0, Sprint
Go to Settings > General > About > click on the Build multiple times until the developer option is turned on or you see an option to turn it on. I already had it turned on and I don't recall what I initially did.
Now go back to Settings > General > Developer Now scroll down several screens (almost at the bottom) and turn on "Use NuPlayer (experimental)" Now exit out of the setting.
Prior to this change I would get BT dropouts using my headset (LG HB730) for phone calls, listening to music or listening to AudioBook, e.g. anytime I was using BT.

Last edited:

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site

I just read through the entire issue list for this (https://code.google.com/p/android/i...atus Owner Summary Stars&id=95294#makechanges) and found no solution but it did trigger a possible fix for me. Following is what seems to be working for me.
Possible Solution
Go to Settings > General > About > click on the Build multiple times until the developer option is turned on or you see an option to turn it on. I already had it turned on and I don't recall what I initially did.
Now go back to Settings > General > Developer Now scroll down several screens (almost at the bottom) and turn on "Use NuPlayer (experimental) Now exit out of the setting.
Prior to this change I would get BT dropouts using my headset (LG HB730) for phone calls, listening to music or listening to AudioBook, e.g. anytime I was using BT.
Worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

samwifi

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I fixed my bluetooth skipping by going back to kitkat. mostly gone now - happens rarely.. this is clearly a lol-pop problem. What a joke.... and a hassle.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

Possible Solution
Now go back to Settings > General > Developer Now scroll down several screens (almost at the bottom) and turn on "Use NuPlayer (experimental)" Now exit out of the setting.

Interesting, I'll try it out.

There were issues with NuPlayer at least early on. In the original 5.0 rollout, it was on by default but people had problems (I don't recall what and I can't find the threads on it) so it was turned off by default in later Lollipop versions.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Interesting, I'll try it out.

There were issues with NuPlayer at least early on. In the original 5.0 rollout, it was on by default but people had problems (I don't recall what and I can't find the threads on it) so it was turned off by default in later Lollipop versions.

Follow-up: the NuPlayer problem cropped up on my Nexus 7 tablet and is discussed here:

The Worst Bugs in Android 5.0 Lollipop and How to Fix Them

So looks OK for the Note 4 but please post any unusual behavior if you see it.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

Possible Solution

So tried this and still get dropouts. Went back to screen on and no dropouts.

You mention having dropouts with audiobooks - is that using the Audible app? I only have this with music, not with the Audible app. And in both cases the audio content is stored on my external card, not internal memory.

dmagikwand

May 18, 2015
Visit site
You mention having dropouts with audiobooks - is that using the Audible app? I only have this with music, not with the Audible app. And in both cases the audio content is stored on my external card, not internal memory.
I've always had the same the dropouts on the Audible app. Same frequency of occurrence as music. Audible app and books are on device storage. Music cuts whether live streaming, card, or device storage.

dmagikwand

May 18, 2015
Visit site
I think the bluetooth radio goes into too low of a power state when the screen is off. Mine barely reaches my head unit when I stand right outside my driver's door

I've been planning to test this as soon as I can. I have a back parking lot at work that is unobstructed by any objects. I plan on leaving my phone at a spot and pacing out the reception distances with both the screen on and the screen off to see if there is a significant change. Will report back.

Update: Tested outdoors without obstructions. There was practically zero difference in the Bluetooth range--- screen on vs screen off.

Last edited: