Note 4 Bluetooth "skipping" audio.

markyboy81

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
This is such an odd issue, and I still can't work out what's causing the stuttering. In fact, sometimes it doesn't even stutter at all - for example today, when I went for about 30mins with no break ups.
Yet I've had other times when it's stuttered 2 or 3 times a song, and everything I've tried has made no difference, including keeping the screen on and turning wifi and wifi scanning off.
Ive even done a factory reset and it's still the same. This is bugging me quite a bit as the Note 5 I had before had no skips whatsoever, so I'm inclined to think it's hardware related.
I will try the cleanmaster app though and see if that makes a difference, thanks for the tip.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
This is such an odd issue, and I still can't work out what's causing the stuttering. In fact, sometimes it doesn't even stutter at all - for example today, when I went for about 30mins with no break ups.
Yet I've had other times when it's stuttered 2 or 3 times a song, and everything I've tried has made no difference, including keeping the screen on and turning wifi and wifi scanning off.
Ive even done a factory reset and it's still the same. This is bugging me quite a bit as the Note 5 I had before had no skips whatsoever, so I'm inclined to think it's hardware related.
I will try the cleanmaster app though and see if that makes a difference, thanks for the tip.

FWIW - Clean Master has gotten something of a squirrely reputation, e.g.,

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/530007-concerned-about-clean-master-s-data-collection-privacy-practices.html

One of the thoughts on what is causing this Bluetooth issue is that the CPU is going into a semi-sleep mode and that leaving the screen on prevents this. Does a task killer like Clean Master continually run, causing the same effect? (caveat - I'm really just speculating here)

mcwtoyz

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Dangit, sorry new to the forum. Adding the Stopwatch & Timer app. I'm not rooted so, this is the best alternative for me. I'm only listening to my music a few hours at a time but it worked. Once you load the app, I do a soft reset and run the timer for a couple of hours, and boom....no more skipping.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Dangit, sorry new to the forum. Adding the Stopwatch & Timer app. I'm not rooted so, this is the best alternative for me. I'm only listening to my music a few hours at a time but it worked. Once you load the app, I do a soft reset and run the timer for a couple of hours, and boom....no more skipping.

Be interested to hear if this continues to work for you - it didn't for the user who posted the workaround:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4/477341-note-4-bluetooth-skipping-audio-5.html#post4434893

mcwtoyz

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Well, I haven't had time to go through all of the posts. What I can tell you is that my skipping occurred right after the display would go to sleep. When I first used the Stopwatch & Timer App, it didn't work. So, I did the soft reset and it hasn't skipped yet. I'll respond back if it skips but so far it has been great. I can also keep wifi, bluetooth, and GPS on so far. I also set my settings as one user mentioned earlier in the posts. Sound and notification - While locked - do not show notifications. Developer Options - prevent USB audio routing. There may have been one more but I can't remember. It's early in the posts. I'm using a Note 4 Edge.

mcwtoyz

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Here is my update. It lasted one day, lol. Since then, it has actually skipped more than before. Garbage. Such a fundamental thing and android or whatever, Samsung can't get it right. So, annoying.

mcwtoyz

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Update, I did a soft reset and the skips went away. I also quit apps in my apps manager that I thought weren't necessary. Annoying but it worked. Still ran the Stopwatch app.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Here is my update. It lasted one day, lol. Since then, it has actually skipped more than before. Garbage. Such a fundamental thing and android or whatever, Samsung can't get it right. So, annoying.

Wow - at least the originator got 3 days before it started skipping again.

markyboy81

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Well my 'solution' to this involved getting rid of the note 4 and getting the LG v10 instead. There are no skips or stuttering and the sound quality is also a lot better over bluetooth. If you can do without the s pen, i'd thoroughly recommend this phone over the note 4. The camera is far better, and there are some nice features, such as the second screen.
I loved the note series but I'm fed up with samsung either removing features, or failing to address such a basic feature as this.

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Yup. The skipping is coming back for be too. Sometimes bad, sometimes rare. Better get MM and it better fix this garbage. Unacceptable for a flagship phone from the #1 phone maker in the world

min_is_3

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Yup. The skipping is coming back for be too. Sometimes bad, sometimes rare. Better get MM and it better fix this garbage. Unacceptable for a flagship phone from the #1 phone maker in the world
By skipping, do you mean that the sound cuts out for a brief second or so?

If so, i only noticed that when i use Google Play Music. But when I'm watching Google Play Movies, Youtube or Pocketcast, i don't have any problems.

WalkingHorse

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I have tried everything and it still skips for me. I absolutely LOVE my Note 4. So much so that I didn't feel my usual draw to upgrade to the Note 5 (will wait on the 6). This is my only beef with the phone....and it's a big one. I listen to music and podcasts a lot. Very very annoying.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
By skipping, do you mean that the sound cuts out for a brief second or so?

If so, i only noticed that when i use Google Play Music. But when I'm watching Google Play Movies, Youtube or Pocketcast, i don't have any problems.

The skipping I get is when playing music through any music playback app while listening with any of my Bluetooth earbuds - about once a minute, the sound cuts out for a brief moment (about a second). As I noted earlier, if I force the screen to remain on I do not get any skips (which is why you don't get it when viewing a video).

min_is_3

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The skipping I get is when playing music through any music playback app while listening with any of my Bluetooth earbuds - about once a minute, the sound cuts out for a brief moment (about a second). As I noted earlier, if I force the screen to remain on I do not get any skips (which is why you don't get it when viewing a video).
I understand. I'm listen thru bluetooth everyday and the occasional skipping happens only with Google Music. When i listen to Pocketcast, i do have the screen turned off. I'm using the LG HBS 750 bluetooth headset. I don't know if different headsets has a factor.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I understand. I'm listen thru bluetooth everyday and the occasional skipping happens only with Google Music. When i listen to Pocketcast, i do have the screen turned off. I'm using the LG HBS 750 bluetooth headset. I don't know if different headsets has a factor.

I see the problem with a LG HBS 730 headset, JayBird BlueBuds X Sport earbuds, and 4 versions of TaoTronics and Cootree earbuds.

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I've experienced the skipping, but it hasn't been that bad at all for me. Pretty rare, actually.

What does bother me are incoming notifications interrupting my music. I turn notification volume off when listening to music, but whenever I receive a notification, there's still a very brief interruption in my music. Anyone know how to fix that?

haggie

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a used 2012 VW Tiguan. My wife has a Samsung S5 (5.1). Works fine with no playback issues on Spotify. My LG G4 (6.0) has consistent dropout issues when playing Spotify (even from local tracks, so not cellular connection). I've tried all kinds of settings. Nothing seems to address the problem. Bummed out because I was planning on getting rid of Sirius/XM.

Reading back thru the old messages, I found that some people had issues with music on external storage. That reminded me that I was streaming on my wife's phone, but on my phone I had downloaded the exact same playlist. I'm going to see if local v. streaming makes any difference. Anyone else notice this with Spotify?

Last edited: