Is it ok to use the S pen to press the home button?

I sometimes find myself wanting to do it, especially if I've just been using the pen to tap the capacitance buttons on either side of it But I wonder of exerting that kind of concentrated pressure can either add to wearing down the point of the pen (which I assume is possible since they provide refill points), or risks damaging the button, which is also a fingerprint sensor.

Any thoughts and/or solid info on this?

Thanks!
    01-03-2015 02:32 AM
    It's perfectly fine to press the home button with the S Pen.
    01-03-2015 03:21 AM
    I do it all the time, no problems here.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-03-2015 04:38 AM
    Good question. I always avoid pressing the home button with the spen. No idea why though. I'm sure it would be fine, but it's like nails on a chalk board to me, I just can't bring myself to do it.
    01-03-2015 01:21 PM
    I've done it a time or two...don't trust myself to not snap it in half. Made me nervous, so I just use my finger.
    01-03-2015 01:26 PM
    I do it all the time. No problems at all.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!
    01-03-2015 01:26 PM
    I press mine all the time, no problems at all so far. I'm sure in at least one of Samsung's promo videos they do it too, so its got to be fine
    01-03-2015 01:32 PM
    I have done it once or twice, but I feel like it might dull the tip due to the amount of pressure needed.
    01-03-2015 01:51 PM
    I'm doing it all the time.

01-03-2015 02:09 PM
    I do it sometimes but I usually just flip the S pen the press the home button.

Posted from my Note 4 baby.
    01-03-2015 02:38 PM
    Plus you get a time of replacement tips with the phone so tap away

01-03-2015 05:35 PM
    The surface of the button is completely smooth. But the silver collar around it rises above the surface and creates an edge high enough that the pen can easily skid against, especially when exerting the pressure necessary to press the mechanical button, but low enough that the tip could then continue skidding off the button onto the display. It's possible it's perfectly safe. But it seems like it has the potential to shave down or chip or otherwise damage the pen tip.

It really does take a fair amount of pressure, communicated down that narrow stick, to move the button. I think I'll continue avoiding it.

Is there a known reason why Samsung continues to make mechanical Home buttons? Does the fingerprint scanner, or some other functionality, require it?

It should be possible to program a gesture to return you to the home screen, but if custom gestures are an option I can't find it anywhere.
    01-03-2015 07:11 PM
    I would but my S-Pen smells funny!

MightyMike likes this.
    01-03-2015 07:13 PM
    It's perfectly fine to press the home button with the S Pen.
    This.
    01-03-2015 07:33 PM
    The surface of the button is completely smooth. But the silver collar around it rises above the surface and creates an edge high enough that the pen can easily skid against, especially when exerting the pressure necessary to press the mechanical button, but low enough that the tip could then continue skidding off the button onto the display. It's possible it's perfectly safe. But it seems like it has the potential to shave down or chip or otherwise damage the pen tip.

It really does take a fair amount of pressure, communicated down that narrow stick, to move the button. I think I'll continue avoiding it.

Is there a known reason why Samsung continues to make mechanical Home buttons? Does the fingerprint scanner, or some other functionality, require it?

It should be possible to program a gesture to return you to the home screen, but if custom gestures are an option I can't find it anywhere.
    Seriously?

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    01-03-2015 07:41 PM
    I have done it once or twice, but I feel like it might dull the tip due to the amount of pressure needed.
    I would worry about this too but it'd prolly be fine...but I still wouldn't do it because it might just dull/wear the tip. Uuughhh.
    01-03-2015 08:19 PM
    Seriously?

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    Lol.
    01-03-2015 08:21 PM