Anyone know how to fix this alarm clock issue?

flamechica

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
So, I'm having a rough time with this device. I switched to Sprint 8 days ago. The first Note 4 was doing all kinds of weird stuff that I swear it must've been possessed, so last night, the sprint store swapped it out for a new one. This one seems to be working fine, except that the alarm clock is missing the days of the week. My husband's Note 4 has them. My parent's S5's have them. I'm used to having the option from my Note 2 before this phone. Basically, without this function, I have the option to either set an alarm for sometime within the next 24hrs or EVERY Monday (or whatever day I choose) and have to try to remember to turn it off, if I don't want it to go off the following Monday, which I probably don't want it to. I realize my description is probably not very good, so I am going to attach some pics. The first is from my Note 2 (because my husband isn't home for me to show you that his Note 4 does indeed have this feature), but it will at least show you wtf I am talking about. The second picture is from my Note 2 alarm screen showing that I don't have that option at all...it's gone. I have checked the clock settings, I have checked the phone settings....I don't see anything to change this. I have been to THREE sprint stores today to try to figure out the problem and no one had seen this before, so I am HOPING someone here can help. I even tried to bypass the alarm program and used Google Now. I said for it to set my alarm for Friday at 10am (today being Tuesday), when I went into the alarm app, the alarm was set for tomorrow at 10am.

The first pic is from my Note 2, showing what i am missing, since my husband is not home for me to show you screen, showing basically the sane thing. The second pic is my note 4, missing the days of the week.

Attachments

• 2015-01-07 03.30.43.png
    2015-01-07 03.30.43.png
    365.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Screenshot_2015-01-06-22-32-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-06-22-32-54.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That's standard. When it goes off, it disables, so unless you check the Repeat weekly box, it's a one-time alarm. (It'll still be there unless you delete it, so you can skip a week, then enable it again, change the time and/or day for a different alarm, etc. But what you see is the same thing I see on my Note 3.

flamechica

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
You aren't understanding. Look at the second picture. I cant change the day. I can either set up an alarm for tomorrow or the one that goes off every week. I am aware how the alarm works. I had the Note 1, Note 2 and now this phone. My husband can choose a day for his alarm to go off on his note 4, but i can't.

flamechica

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Let's put it this way, if i want to set my alarm tonight, to go off on Friday morning at 10am. I have no way to do that because there is no way to select friday as a day unless i want it to go off every friday, because the only "day" options i have are the "every monday" "every tuesday" and so on

flamechica

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Here is a screenshot of my husband's Note 4 with the days of the week that he can choose from, but as you can see above in the second picture, mine are missing.

Attachments

• 2015-01-07_00.22.07.jpg
    2015-01-07_00.22.07.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 105

dnangel_95

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
this has been raised by someone in the S5 forum a couple of months ago. it's the same issue as yours! i'm frustrated right now as i couldn't find the thread. i don't even remember how they solved it. i'm really sorry i can't take you anywhere further.

EDIT: I still can't find the one on the S5 forum but I did came across this:
I'm unable to Change the Day on an alarm now?

Last edited:

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Here is a screenshot of my husband's Note 4 with the days of the week that he can choose from, but as you can see above in the second picture, mine are missing.

Tap on the "repeat" that opens this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/li6emw6jy2l9uyz/2015-01-07 09.09.50.jpg?dl=0

From there select the days or day you want:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fmsu3otbctf4mbt/2015-01-07 09.11.26.jpg?dl=0

More options come into view by scrolling up.

Now if someone can tell me how to get rid of the clock in the Notifications bar :D

flamechica

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
this has been raised by someone in the S5 forum a couple of months ago. it's the same issue as yours! i'm frustrated right now as i couldn't find the thread. i don't even remember how they solved it. i'm really sorry i can't take you anywhere further.

Thanks for trying and for understanding the issue. My husband and I both have the same android version, so i wouldn't think that it has anything to do with the update.

Tap on the repeat

From there select the days or day you want:

More options come into view by scrolling up.

Now if someone can tell me how to get rid of the clock in the Notifications bar :D

As I told the first person that suggested that, that option is if i want it to go off EVERY week on that day. I want to set one single alarm to go off and be able to set it in a time period outside of "today" aka 24hrs from when i am setting the alarm, unless i want it to go off weekly and have to remember to turn the damn thing off.

b_Man

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
My note 4 shows the same as yours. I understand what you are trying to do but it looks like maybe you will need to set a reminder or calendar event for alarms outside of "today"

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
There was a recent update that did not change the version from 4.4.4 It changed the alarm as you describe and we will either have to wait for the next version to hopefully fix it or get another alarm app from the play store.
My guess is that your husband did not do the update or he is on a different carrier. I am with Sprint and mine is like yours. No way to set the alarm for a day in the future like it was.
Good Luck!
Ron

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for trying and for understanding the issue. My husband and I both have the same android version, so i wouldn't think that it has anything to do with the update.

As I told the first person that suggested that, that option is if i want it to go off EVERY week on that day. I want to set one single alarm to go off and be able to set it in a time period outside of "today" aka 24hrs from when i am setting the alarm, unless i want it to go off weekly and have to remember to turn the damn thing off.
Are the two Note 4's from the same carrier?

droid747

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
As ronb stated, you use to be able to do the alarm like you want, but updates that were pushed through messed that up. I liked the alarm better before my verizon note 4 got updated. This is purely a samsung issues with them changing the alarm in their newer updates. Hopefully they fix it by changing it to the original alarm that came on the note 4 in newer updates.

Posted via the Android Central App

justguff

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Try a different app? I personally love kaloer clock. It will manage your alarms even if you don't use the clock display

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I use Timely and I love it for managing alarms. Beautiful & functional UI that plays very well with Android -- maybe that is the reason Google bought them!

flamechica

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
My note 4 shows the same as yours. I understand what you are trying to do but it looks like maybe you will need to set a reminder or calendar event for alarms outside of "today"

I could sleep through a nuclear war, so the calendar event is out of the question as it only goes off one time, not repetitively until I shut it off like an alarm.

There was a recent update that did not change the version from 4.4.4 It changed the alarm as you describe and we will either have to wait for the next version to hopefully fix it or get another alarm app from the play store.
My guess is that your husband did not do the update or he is on a different carrier. I am with Sprint and mine is like yours. No way to set the alarm for a day in the future like it was.
Good Luck!
Ron

My husband is on the same carrier and he has the same android version as I do, which is 4.4.4. A guy from Sprint looked into when Lolipop 5.0.1 is releasing and it should be released Jan 15th and we are hoping that it will fix this, BUT I don't see how this could be the problem, since my husband and I both have the same freaking Android version currently!

Are the two Note 4's from the same carrier?

Yes, both Sprint and both purchased at the same time. However, I have a friend on Verizon who has a Note 4 that has the same issue. Sprint said something about my husband's phone having a different software version. I don't understand what they are talking about since when we look in his device info and it says we both have Android version 4.4.4....anyone know wtf they are talking about????

As ronb stated, you use to be able to do the alarm like you want, but updates that were pushed through messed that up. I liked the alarm better before my verizon note 4 got updated. This is purely a samsung issues with them changing the alarm in their newer updates. Hopefully they fix it by changing it to the original alarm that came on the note 4 in newer updates.

So, are you saying it's a Samsung update and not an Android update?

Try a different app? I personally love kaloer clock. It will manage your alarms even if you don't use the clock display

I use Timely and I love it for managing alarms. Beautiful & functional UI that plays very well with Android -- maybe that is the reason Google bought them!

Personally, I would rather not have to download more apps if I can keep from it. I have had so many issues between having to have two phones in less than two weeks. Though, I don't think that first one was any of my fault, but now I am a little leery....

Samsung offered to reflash my phone, but that would mean that I would be without a phone for 5-9 days. Of course, Sprint does not offer a loaner phone program and IF I could find a friend or someone to loan me a phone, then they say that I would be on the hook for the ENTIRE cost of my phone on the next bill, because I chose an installment program. Which just doesn't seem right. So, I am REALLY hoping that the Lollipop 5.0.1 that is supposed to come out in a week or so will fix this issue, but it really doesn't sound like it is an android problem, it sounds like it is a Samsung problem.....Grrr!!!!

dnangel_95

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
but it really doesn't sound like it is an android problem, it sounds like it is a Samsung problem.....Grrr!!!!

actually it's more of a carrier problem. the carriers have their say what goes in to the software after Sammy's personal touch. "maybe" your phone did an automatic update and you weren't aware of it? both of your phones may show 4.4.4 but to be able to tell whether or not yours and your hubby's are the same, you can check the baseband and the build number which are both on the same place where you see the android version. but then again that won't solve anything. just bear with it for a few more days and IF lollipop is really coming to your device via your carrier, that should bring some changes (assuming that includes the clock!)

Tampa8

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Are you saying there are no days of the week showing to pick? I don't think it is a Samsung problem since on my At&t even with their latest updates it has continued to work as intended. For now just use an app there are so many good small alarm apps.

Last edited:

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
@flamechica - Android version number is just one indicator of software version, what about the baseband version, kernel version and build number in the about device screen? There may be a difference there.

BdotTirrell

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This has been a frustrating thing for me too. What I decided to do when I only need a one day alarm.....OK GOOGLE! "Set alarm for 10 am on Friday January 16." Alarm get's set. And then I change the settings such as alarm sound, tone, etc...still a lil frustrating but hey, it works for now.

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
@flamechia, You can see if you both received the update by looking at the baseband version and comparing them. Your main load is 4.4.4 but small updates will only show in the baseband version number.
Mine on Sprint is N910PVPU1ANK2 and I did get the update recently.
Good Luck!
Ron

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey