Thinking About Switching from LG G3 to Note 4

Bordcla

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Considering a switch from a month-old LG G3 to the Note 4. There is a bit of a cost involved to the switch (roughly $250 or so).

Have any of you made a similar decision and how happy are you with it?

Reasons for considering the Note 4, for me, have to do mostly with the ability to do more with the S Pen (editing documents, highlighting features in images, etc., easier to copy and paste wording from emails/documents for work), rumored better battery life with the Samsung compared to the LG, and apparently even better screen.

I find that the LG's interface is somewhat crude and bug-prone (quick settings often closes by itself, noticeable lag when using home or multiple apps button or when scrolling, etc.) On the other hand, I love the LG's centered back-panel buttons (a revelation compared to side-mounted buttons in my opinion) and sound quality, both listening to music with headphones or in call with the powerful speaker.

Wondering if the Note is any smoother in operation, less buggy/laggy, and whether it provides as good or better call/sound quality compared with the LG?

Any other thoughts?

BTW, I'm on the Bell Mobility LTE/3G networks in Québec.

Thanks for your input!

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I came from the g3 on verizon. Really liked the g3 but I was having some lag issues and the phone locking up. I sometimes miss the g3, I really liked the rear button placement and the phone was very slim and easy to hold for a big phone. The screen on the note 4 is so much better and brighter. I find the call quality and call volume and speaker volume much better than the g3, not that it was bad on the g3. I actually like the skin that lg put on the g3 but touchwiz isn't too bad. Are there lags here and there on both phones, sure. Just depends on what you use the phone most for. The screen is the main difference for me though. I also you the s pen probably everyday.

justguff

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I can't speak for your network, but as for the switch...it's the same one I made and i'm very happy. If you get a chance to play with one in a store, do it. Personal opinions differ!

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I've had both and think each have their plus and minuses. I had pretty good battery life on the g3, but better on the note 4. I prefer LCD screens but the screen on the note is better overall. I miss the size of the g3. It just felt great in hand, where I find the note a bit more uncomfortable. I too didn't mind LGs skin and left it on there whereas on the note I immediately threw on nova launcher. There are things about the g3 I miss. I think lag is about the same for me though I did not have the huge g3 lag or overheating issues some have had.

Bordcla

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
It sounds like there isn't much in it. The only thing is, short of a full factory reflash (which means losing root and a bunch of other issues), I'm not sure how to cure the bugs I'm encountering with my G3, but it might still be a better (and certainly a lot less expensive) way to solve my problems than switching phones completely.

What kind of a back-up do I need in order not to lose my personal and app data on the phone? Does anyone know if the built-in LG back-up is sufficient, should I choose to reflash?

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I just use ES File Explorer to hunt down where app data is kept for data I care to transfer, and save a copy of those folders to transfer to the new device. Without root, that is.

Posted via the Android Central App

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I miss red underlining of spelling errors and prefer the size of the g3. I must admit mostly it's just that I like to change phones every 2 years. To be honest my old moto razr maxx hd is perfectly fine as well. Just felt like a change.

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I left the LG G3 for the Note 4 and I'm happy I did. The g3 was very buggy and laggy. The screen while outside was terrible could barely see it, even at full brightness. I loved the smaller phone and rear buttons but to be honest I didn't use them too much. Battery life is better on the note 4 as well and as another person mention call quality is better.

mrgigabyte

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I come from Motorola and i love my note 4 i use nova laucher and I have no lag and battery life is alsome I was worry about that when I was deciding if I wanted a new cell, but after getting the note I get say I am getting great battery life hope that helps you also

UptownWebhead

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Like most say, both have their plusses and minuses but in my honest opinion from G3 to Note 4 it's a good move. S Pen might seem like a gimmick but I found it incredibly useful the few times I did use the Note 4. But at the end of the day you need to figure out what works best for YOUR needs.

Bordcla

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Ran into a great promotion to switch my small business account form one carrier (Bell) to another (Rogers), and got a fantastic price for a new phone. Hesitated long and hard between going back to an iPhone (which I had been using for years prior to switching to an LG G3 a few months ago) and the new Note 4, but the price I was offered on the Note 4 was too good.

Thus, I am the new owner of a brand new Note 4 and, so far, I am very positively impressed! This feels like such an upgrade to the G3! I would not have thought the difference would be so great! The feel of the device is much more "premium" than the LG, which feels much more crude. This is especially apparent with respect to the interface. So far, I have a hard time understanding the gripe that so many people seem to have with Touchwiz. It is so much smoother and more polished than LG's skin on the G3 that there is no comparison to be had in my view. The interface is silky smooth and, so far, it looks like the battery life is nothing to scoff at, and better than the G3. No lag, no stutter, everything works well and very smoothly. The S Pen really works. This feels like a beast of a phone/work tool. Oh, and that screen! Wow!

The only things I wish could be improved (and let me know if anyone has a suggestion):

- I wish there were a way to wake the phone up and turn off the screen without having to press a button, similar to the LG. Is there a way to enable some kind of knock on/knock off feature to the Note 4 without rooting?

- Is there a way to configure the phone to have 5-wide icons on the homescreen on the Note 4 like there is on the G3 without resorting to a whole different launcher?

- The rear panel button placement on the LG G3 is a superior design, IMO.

- The menus are rather complex and scattered. Apple's approach of having every thing accessible under the main "Settings" menu seems more logical, as it appears not everything is accessible within the main Settings app on the Note 4 (there are sub-menus in each app, then others for the home screen, notifications are not centralized anywhere, etc.

- Integration of Office 365/Exchange email into Gmail was more problematic on this phone than even on the G3 (which was no piece of cake either...). The latest Exchange Services fix for Gmail 5.0 did not play nice with the phone. I was lucky in that the older prior version of the APK I had used on the G3 also happened to allow me to add my work Exchange email to Gmail 5.0 on this phone, after lots of trial and error.

Despite the above, I'm super happy with the switch. I only hope the phone last well for my two-year contract and keeps working as nicely as it is now. It really feels like the best phablet out there, by a long shot.

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
My daughter has the LGG3 and I have the Note 4. If you are Not going to use the pen, keep What you got. Yes the N4 has a better screen, but the Feel And weight of the G3 is tons better! I think the camera is better on the G3 too. I Love my N4, but the G3 ain't No slouch either.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

FireChrome

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Samsung is awful. They install so much bloatware, other than the graphics, its slow, and laggy. My friend had to reset his every 2 weeks or so. Do you know why the nexus 4 and 5 were great? made by LG, even though im not a lg fan.

Rally Android

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Samsung is awful. They install so much bloatware, other than the graphics, its slow, and laggy. My friend had to reset his every 2 weeks or so. Do you know why the nexus 4 and 5 were great? made by LG, even though im not a lg fan.

Right. I guess Samsung is not allowed to have a single bad phone get out of QC. I've, with I'm sure thousands of other note 4 owners, have had NONE of the symptoms your friend has had. Seeing as your view is VERY one sided make your way out the nearest door.

mrgigabyte

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I used debloater to get rid all of the bloatware you don't even need to rooted and my note 4 is to date the best cell I have owned . I have had Motorola and lg and they all come with bloatware . My cell is great on battery and is fast as hell no lag at all

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
My coworker has a G3. He didn't want to wait for the N4.
When I look at his G3, the first thing I notice is the screen. I would be very disappointed in that G3 screen. And the on screen buttons annoy me. His battery life is not as good as my N4, but I suspect he is a heavier user.
He doesn't really dislike his G3. He says that he really likes the rear buttons, and the screen taps to wake it up. But he also says he wishes he had the stylus again (he used to have a Note 2). And he admits the camera and screen are better on the N4. But not enough for him to think about changing, just yet anyway.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
My coworker has a G3. He didn't want to wait for the N4.
When I look at his G3, the first thing I notice is the screen. I would be very disappointed in that G3 screen. And the on screen buttons annoy me. His battery life is not as good as my N4, but I suspect he is a heavier user.
He doesn't really dislike his G3. He says that he really likes the rear buttons, and the screen taps to wake it up. But he also says he wishes he had the stylus again (he used to have a Note 2). And he admits the camera and screen are better on the N4. But not enough for him to think about changing, just yet anyway.

First time I put my G3 next to an S5 (nevermind a Note 4), I thought "WHAT HAVE I DONE!?" Returned within the exchange window and waited for the Note 4. Glad I did; there's no comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781