How to take a screenshot with S Pen?

bat0nas

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I want to accomplish a very simple task: save part of my screen as an image with S Pen. Is that possible?

Is „screen write” the only way?

Other options saves images to scrapbook which I hardly understand (no way to save an image from there). Anybody uses that scrapbook?

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I want to accomplish a very simple task: save part of my screen as an image with S Pen. Is that possible?

Pull the pen out and "smart select" or "image clip"

Is „screen write” the only way?

No. Screen write selects the entire screen, Not part.

Other options saves images to scrapbook which I hardly understand (no way to save an image from there). Anybody uses that scrapbook?

I don't use scrapbook any.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A screenshot is the entire screen, and you save that as a picture. You press the pen button, then hold the pen against the screen until the screen "flashes". Then you'll see a Share, an X (delete) and a check (save) at the top of the screen, along with editing buttons on the left side of the top. You can edit out the part of the screen there or, if you want more control, save the screenshot (it'll be in /Pictures/Screenshots) and edit it with a decent picture editor (there are lots of free ones at the Play store).

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
And them what?
I select part of my screen and have three options: save in Scrapbook, collect (which is the same scrapbook) and share.

But I just want save as screenshot. How to do that?

I don't use scrapbook, I always share to FB or...most of the time do What Rukbat pointed out. Although...since you asked I did look in scrapbook and I have about 20 pics in there. Lol

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
To select part of the screen What you can do is take a screenshot. Like the pick below.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-11-12-48-33.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-11-12-48-33.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 124

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
And then pull the screenshot up in gallery and zoom in on the part you want and take another screenshot...like the pic below.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-11-12-51-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-11-12-51-46.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 120

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Yup, there are many ways to do it but because Samsung wanted us to utilize their POS scrapbook app they did not include the ability to directly save the image clip file to storage. Not really a big deal though since we can remedy this by installing a 3rd party application to do it.

Personally I like ES file Explorer a lot more than the stock file manager and one of the reasons is that with ES a couple of core shell elements are added. The first being a download manager to allow you to direct browser downloads and the other being a Share To menu addition to capture shared images and files. I recommend trying ES File Explorer (or another similar file manager) and trying the share menu after using the Image Clip function of the S-Pen. It will allow you to pick a location to save the clip.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Yup, there are many ways to do it but because Samsung wanted us to utilize their POS scrapbook app they did not include the ability to directly save the image clip file to storage. Not really a big deal though since we can remedy this by installing a 3rd party application to do it.

Personally I like ES file Explorer a lot more than the stock file manager and one of the reasons is that with ES a couple of core shell elements are added. The first being a download manager to allow you to direct browser downloads and the other being a Share To menu addition to capture shared images and files. I recommend trying ES File Explorer (or another similar file manager) and trying the share menu after using the Image Clip function of the S-Pen. It will allow you to pick a location to save the clip.

POS is correct. I gave scrapbook a shot in the beginning, but with all the features and apps available scrapbook seems pointless and useless to me.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
POS is correct. I gave scrapbook a shot in the beginning, but with all the features and apps available scrapbook seems pointless and useless to me.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

Wholeheartedly agree. It seems as if the only reason the application exists is to encourage the use of their cloud storage in the hopes of getting money once usage exceeds available free storage levels.

That would be fine if the data was widely shareable via non-proprietary format and available to other devices like PC's via website or browser plugins.

Rather than scrapbook I either use Dropbox for files or pushbullet or Evernote.

bat0nas

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I recommend trying ES File Explorer (or another similar file manager) and trying the share menu after using the Image Clip function of the S-Pen. It will allow you to pick a location to save the clip.

There were some articles and security concerns on the net about the ES Explorer. This app was constantly in contact with Chinese servers. Maybe things changed. It was a reason I moved to other file manager (Solid Explorer in my case).

bat0nas

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
To select part of the screen What you can do is take a screenshot. Like the pick below.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

How do you take a screenshot of the hole screen with S Pen?
Sorry but I didn't get the answer yet.

If you mean you take a screenshot by "Palm swipe to capture" it is not actually what I asked.

I asked: how to make a screen shot with S Pen. I take the S Pen, Air command menu appears and then what?

-----------

EDIT:

Now I get it. This doesn't work in my case. Any ideas where's the problem?
Just hold the button and tap: On all S Pen Galaxy devices, you can also hold down the button on the S Pen and touch the pen to the screen, holding it there until you see and/or hear a screenshot being taken. This technique is best on the Note 2, Note 8.0, and original Note 10.1.

--

EDIT2:
Looks like "screen write" from the Air command is the only true option to take screenshot with S Pen. But still it's far from what I expected. I still need to crop manually by selecting my screenshot in my Notifications. Samsung should get rid of scrapbook as soon as possible.

Last edited:

bat0nas

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Looks like an answer to me: How to take a screenshot on the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 | Android Central

As I suspected "Screen write" is the only true option to take a screenshot with S Pen. It still is not as I expected (I still need to open screenshot from notifications and crop it and save it). Samsung should get rid of that Scrapbook really.

---
And that is not working on my Note 4. How to make it work?
Just hold the button and tap: On all S Pen Galaxy devices, you can also hold down the button on the S Pen and touch the pen to the screen, holding it there until you see and/or hear a screenshot being taken. This technique is best on the Note 2, Note 8.0, and original Note 10.1.

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
How do you take a screenshot of the hole screen with S Pen?
Sorry but I didn't get the answer yet.

If you mean you take a screenshot by "Palm swipe to capture" it is not actually what I asked.

I asked: how to make a screen shot with S Pen. I take the S Pen, Air command menu appears and then what?

-----------

EDIT:
Now I get it. This doesn't work in my case. Any ideas where's the problem?

I don't think the there is a problem...I think it is where the problem enlies.

EDIT2:
Looks like "screen write" from the Air command is the only true option to take screenshot with S Pen. But still it's far from what I expected. I still need to crop manually by selecting my screenshot in my Notifications. Samsung should get rid of scrapbook as soon as possible.

I don't use air commands yet...but it seems to me that scrapbook creates more steps then nescessary. I think that Is the problem. And, it seems that there are more options available through other means than scrapbook. I was looking at scrapbook because of this thread and I can Not for the life of me figure out why a pen and eraser are available in scrapbook because it Won't write on the screen. That's as far as I went and just verified for me why I don't use scrapbook.

MAY THE 4 BE WITH YOU!

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The solution provided by Synycalwon works well but it doesn't perfectly match the description of what you're trying to do since it still leaves you with the need to crop the resulting image. Your responses on the other hand seem to describe the desire to go directly to a cropped image saved to storage to be accessed by other programs (which by the way is truly an image clip, not a screenshot since the common interpretation of the term screenshot is a shot of the entire screen).

Still think that to get what you want it's easier to use the image clip feature and share the clip to an application that will do with the image what you want.

I found another application since you're uncomfortable with ES.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=com.sapps.savetodrive&token=6O6MgzLF

With that you can use the S-Pen, click the pen button, select image clip, marquee around what you want and then click the share button (2nd from the right on the top right corner) and pick the save to drive program.

This requires a custom app of course so the solution provided by Synycalwon is the best way without any other app assistance.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante