Why does the Note 4 camera take forever to select focus on all modes?

Niloo Navaei

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
why does Note 4 camera take forever to select focus on all modes?

Ok the film cover lense is off!
I have tried auto mode, selective mode, HDR on, off, bright light, low light... the camera takes about 2 to 3 minutes until it selects focus!
so basically when i hit on the camera icon, everything comes in blurry except for the objects that is placed very close to the camera.
It's really weird but then after 2 3 minutes everything comes into focus and nothing is blurry anymore and I can switch my focus to different spots.

Last edited:

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: why does Note 4 camera take forever to select focus on all modes?

It might be a hardware issue. Mine focuses pretty fast.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, that's not even close to normal.

Posted via the Android Central App

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site

Your phone is broken. Last ditch try FV-5 camera app. If it does the same thing return your phone for a new one.

heathersimon

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site

Some folks have bad hardware, but it also feels like a software bug. I can consistently get the focus to work quickly, for a short period of time, by resetting the camera settings or changing the default modes. But then it goes back to not wanting to focus on subsequent camera launches. I'm really, really hoping a software update fixes this.

vic7012y

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site

Mine does the same thing.

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

Ok the film cover lense is off!
I have tried auto mode, selective mode, HDR on, off, bright light, low light... the camera takes about 2 to 3 minutes until it selects focus!
so basically when i hit on the camera icon, everything comes in blurry except for the objects that is placed very close to the camera.
It's really weird but then after 2 3 minutes everything comes into focus and nothing is blurry anymore and I can switch my focus to different spots.
Most likely a hardware issue. My lens was sticking on my wife's. Try hitting the top of the phone gently in the palm of your hand and see if it snaps to focus. If it does, you got one of the bad cameras. Time to exchange. Don't miss out on the camera it's one of the best features of the 4.

sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note® 4

Rarry

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

A long shot I know but might it be worth exercising it from short to long focus repeatedly to see if it might free up anything that is causing it to Jam?

sigma24

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site

The problem might be with hardware. I think you should contact with support team of Samsung or can also follow troubleshooting steps provided on the official site.

Kjthomas0724

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site

I contacted samsung about my camera issues. All they would do is tell me I have to send it to them for a fix which will take like a week. Can't be without my phone that long

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I contacted samsung about my camera issues. All they would do is tell me I have to send it to them for a fix which will take like a week. Can't be without my phone that long

If you have a carrier model then you can contact the carrier. For verizon, will send you a replacement first and hit send in your phone later

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

heathersimon

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site

Most likely a hardware issue. My lens was sticking on my wife's. Try hitting the top of the phone gently in the palm of your hand and see if it snaps to focus. If it does, you got one of the bad cameras. Time to exchange. Don't miss out on the camera it's one of the best features of the 4.

sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note® 4

... Ah. Dammit.

Thanks. I guess I get to try and find a good time to be without my phone for two weeks. Think I can put my SIM in my old 1020?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I had this issue on my first Note 4 and was very frustrated. So much that I started a thread questioning Samsung's QA process. Everyone seemed to think that out of the millions of phones sold it is par for the course to have this type of issue. I'm still not sure I agree on that.

I returned mine for a replacement from AT&T and the replacement unit is appropriately flawless.

Note.notions

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

camera takes about 2 to 3 minutes until it selects focus!

Same problem, but it's a full minute, not more. Still that ruins any possibility of a quick shot. Came here to look for answers, saw your post, called tech at Samsung, problem solved after clearing data/cache in camera app from applications manager. Focuses instantly again, whoo hoo! Hope this helps yours!

Note.notions

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

try clearing data/cache in camera app under applications manager, worked perfect for me.

heathersimon

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site

Very interesting. I hope this helps folks that are having this issue.

It helps - sometimes - but not consistently. And lately, it hasn't been working the way it did the first few times I tried it. :(

NML55

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site

You are awesome. I tapped the side of mine a few times on the palm of my hand and now it focuses. Thanks for the tip. And I guess I'll let them know I have a defective one. It's a work phone.