So I just got my verizon note 4, about 4 days ago. I did some research to tether hidden, since I have the unlimited plan still, with Verizon. Now, I downloaded, and paid, for foxfi and foxfi addon, tried it out last night, and the tether speeds were horrible. I actually stream to twitch with my 4G usb tether connection, and with my previous phone (Iphone 5) I could stream , usb tethered, with a solid 1800-2200kb/s steady connection. When I tried the note 4, and fofxi usb tethered, last night, I got a unsteady 1000-1200kb/s connection.

Anything I need to do to fix this? I am sitting at the same spot in my house, as I was with the iphone. Also, my sleek 4G booster, that I sometimes used with my Iphone, makes the connection worse on the 4G, which is weird.

Basically my jailbroke Iphone 5 4G usb tether speeds were twice as fast as this note 4 using foxfi.... Any suggestions? (using the standard usb cable that came with my note 4, and tried multiple usb3.0 and 2.0 usb ports)
    01-13-2015 02:54 PM
    My suggestion is that you stop tethering. Without a tethering plan (and there's no tethering plan with unlimited data), if Verizon catches you they'll either switch you to a tethering plan (and you'll lose unlimited permanently, since they don't offer it any more) or they'll cancel your account and, if you're still in contract, charge you the ETF.

If you still want to risk it, just accept that FoxFi runs slower on Android than iit does on iOS.
    01-13-2015 03:22 PM
    My suggestion is that you stop tethering. Without a tethering plan (and there's no tethering plan with unlimited data), if Verizon catches you they'll either switch you to a tethering plan (and you'll lose unlimited permanently, since they don't offer it any more) or they'll cancel your account and, if you're still in contract, charge you the ETF.

If you still want to risk it, just accept that FoxFi runs slower on Android than iit does on iOS.
    Just talked to 2 verizon managers via customer service. Apparently I can use hotspot and tether on unlimited as much as I want with the unlimited data plan.
    01-13-2015 04:18 PM
    Im still unlimited on my N2, I use approx. 50-60gigs a month, some of that is tethered (wifi not usb). Did you by chance do a speed test on your N4 to see what actual speeds were? I know towers around me are so busy my down and up speeds are horrible (3 down and .5 up). Maybe it was just a bad time. I would try again. I've had nothing but good things from Foxfi.
    01-13-2015 04:48 PM
    Im still unlimited on my N2, I use approx. 50-60gigs a month, some of that is tethered (wifi not usb). Did you by chance do a speed test on your N4 to see what actual speeds were? I know towers around me are so busy my down and up speeds are horrible (3 down and .5 up). Maybe it was just a bad time. I would try again. I've had nothing but good things from Foxfi.
    Maybe it was just a bad night, I will try again. I just didn't know if there was a speed restriction on foxfi or anything, but thanks for the feedback.

I use the USB tether because its a faster, more solid, connection of 4G from my phone, because I do 4G upload streaming to twitch. Even though 4G is wireless in general, I am trying to get the most stable connection I can get.
    01-14-2015 08:23 AM

Verizon officially offers unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE hotspot as an option if you have their unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE data plan, the only major USA carrier to do so. I have this on my account now. Verizon also is the only major USA carrier to allow unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE mobile hot spots and 4GLTE broadband router with voice (for home internet, with ether net ports), but that is another story.

Due to the open apps and open devices terms of their 700Mhz lower block C licesnse, they MUST allow all apps, INCLUDING hotspot apps like FoxFi, to be installed. In fact, the FCC fined Verizon a few years back exactly for blocking hotspot apps. Now, Verizon will do everything legally possible to block anyone who doesn't have the unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE hotspot add-on from using hotspot, but if you can find a loophole, then you can use tethering to your hearts content, and Verizon can't do jack about it unless they divest all their 700Mhz upper block C spectrum, which, let's be honest, is extremely unlikely to happen, considering it is the cornerstone of their 4GLTE network.

I have never heard of anyone getting cancelled due to use of hotspot without a subscription on Verizon. In contrast, other carriers have cancelled people. Verizon being the most stringent carrier, if they haven't canceled anyone for violating the hotspot, then it is highly likely that they cant. Granted, there is a very small risk of Verizon cancelling for tethering without subscription, but in all likelihood they will just warn make you get the unlimited unthrottled 4glte hotspot add on in the first warning, if they gave one at all. At that point, you will have a choice to pay for unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE add on or take a chance. The chances of them cancelling them outright just due to tethering without a hotspot, without a warning, is honestly, infinetessimally small, imo. Still, for those who don't want to take the infinetessimally small risk, you can simply pay for the unlimited unthrottled 4glte hotspot addon.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4
    Attached Thumbnails FoxFi (slow usb tether)-uploadfromtaptalk1421248880562.jpg   FoxFi (slow usb tether)-uploadfromtaptalk1421248890473.jpg  
    01-14-2015 09:35 AM
    Verizon officially offers unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE hotspot as an option if you have their unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE data plan, the only major USA carrier to do so. I have this on my account now. Verizon also is the only major USA carrier to allow unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE mobile hot spots and 4GLTE broadband router with voice (for home internet, with ether net ports), but that is another story.

Due to the open apps and open devices terms of their 700Mhz lower block C licesnse, they MUST allow all apps, INCLUDING hotspot apps like FoxFi, to be installed. In fact, the FCC fined Verizon a few years back exactly for blocking hotspot apps. Now, Verizon will do everything legally possible to block anyone who doesn't have the unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE hotspot add-on from using hotspot, but if you can find a loophole, then you can use tethering to your hearts content, and Verizon can't do jack about it unless they divest all their 700Mhz upper block C spectrum, which, let's be honest, is extremely unlikely to happen, considering it is the cornerstone of their 4GLTE network.

I have never heard of anyone getting cancelled due to use of hotspot without a subscription on Verizon. In contrast, other carriers have cancelled people. Verizon being the most stringent carrier, if they haven't canceled anyone for violating the hotspot, then it is highly likely that they cant. Granted, there is a very small risk of Verizon cancelling for tethering without subscription, but in all likelihood they will just warn make you get the unlimited unthrottled 4glte hotspot add on in the first warning, if they gave one at all. At that point, you will have a choice to pay for unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE add on or take a chance. The chances of them cancelling them outright just due to tethering without a hotspot, without a warning, is honestly, infinetessimally small, imo. Still, for those who don't want to take the infinetessimally small risk, you can simply pay for the unlimited unthrottled 4glte hotspot addon.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4
    Thanks for the reply. I was disappointed the other day when I did my speed test comparisons, so i will retest them tonight and hoping for better numbers. I also did not know why my 4G booster would make my speedtest worse than with it...it worked great with my iphone 5 and increased my speeds by 25%
    01-14-2015 10:21 AM