01-31-2015 12:14 AM
76 1234
tools
    If you ever had a need for pen and paper the Note makes them largely obsolete. I don't use my S Pens all the time but they are really handy when you need them.
    starbuckk likes this.
    01-14-2015 01:19 PM
    The same reason people bought the HTC One Maxx, same people that bought a Nexus 6, people dont just buy big phones for a S-pen, that is only a bonus feature with the Note 4, Not a necessity.
    All HTC and Apple (iphone6 plus) did was make much bigger versions of their main phone, which added nothing else to the experience. The Nexus 6 in may ways is just a gigantic Moto x. The s pen IS what separates it from all those other big phones. If you don't use the s pen, your missing out on a lot IMOP.
    kevinpleasants and brad419 like this.
    01-14-2015 03:43 PM
    All HTC and Apple (iphone6 plus) did was make much bigger versions of their main phone, which added nothing else to the experience. The Nexus 6 in may ways is just a gigantic Moto x. The s pen IS what separates it from all those other big phones. If you don't use the s pen, your missing out on a lot IMOP.
    You do know there are people who buy bigger phones just for the bigger screen right? Infact thats why most people buy a bigger phone, for the screen. I dont feel im missing out on anything by not using the S pen, I have tried it many times and it is more of a inconvenience. The S pen does absolutely nothing that I cannot do without it. The S pen is a personal preference ONLY not a necessity.
    01-14-2015 04:18 PM
    I've heard there's no better way to play Monument Valley than with the S Pen.
    brad419 likes this.
    01-14-2015 04:21 PM
    I wouldn't put the iPhone 6+ in that same category, as apps are better formated for that display. If I pull up a website on my iPhone 6+ and my Note 4, there is more information shown on my iPhone. Same with split columns in apps, messages, etc.

The bigger advantage of the Note is multi window IMO, while the spen is very nice and I get some use from it, it isn't really necessary for me. A lot of things people mention using the spen for can easily be done without.
    01-14-2015 04:22 PM
    You do know there are people who buy bigger phones just for the bigger screen right? Infact thats why most people buy a bigger phone, for the screen. I dont feel im missing out on anything by not using the S pen, I have tried it many times and it is more of a inconvenience. The S pen does absolutely nothing that I cannot do without it. The S pen is a personal preference ONLY not a necessity.
    You are right, you can do almost everything without using the S-Pen. However, I'm not sure why you'd want to. I actually wrote this reply using the S-Pen quicker than I could thumb it. Sliq! You don't have to use the S-Pen but you are missing out not using it.
    brad419 likes this.
    01-14-2015 04:34 PM
    Well its called the Note series for a reason. If your not going to use the s pen, what's the point of getting a note?
    The screen size (5.7" is perfect and beautiful), qHD resolution, color. (adjustable color)
    The hardware: Metal frame (feels great in the hand), the awesome camera (front and back)
    Specs: fast processor, 3GB ram, battery life / removable battery, SD card slot.

and IF i ever need it, the S Pen IS there.

Sorry, I can't think of more right now but that is more than enough reasons to buy a Note 4 and not for the S Pen.
    Tony DeLuce likes this.
    01-14-2015 04:50 PM
    I make a grocery list with mine. So when I think of something I make a new list for the week. I always have my phone with me so I know I will always have that list with me. Plus if I don't write it down, I WILL forget it...I think that's called pre-alzheimers setting in. LOL
    01-14-2015 04:55 PM
    LOVE LOVE LOVE my S Pen......... I use it Every single day for Everything! Being a woman, I have long finger nails and the S Pen makes me way faster and more proficient! I went from the Note 2 to Note 4 and the S Pen is one of the main reasons I love the Note series!

Screen Shots to write on
    Hover over emails to see the gist of it without even touching the screen
    Typing Texts and Emails
    Action Memos- writting words numbers and turning them into a contact, email, text etc.
    Signing documents
    Notes
    Highlighting
    etc.......
    01-14-2015 05:00 PM
    The S-Pen isjust one of many reasons to love the Note 4. The phone offers so much it's hard to name everything it does. I do love the handwriting recognition, it's really good. I love that I can write these replies instead of thumbing them. The S-Pen is very useful.
    01-14-2015 05:01 PM
    You're not missing it if you don't want to use it.

I don't use it as often as I could, but I do use it a lot.

I really like being able to write down an action memo on the screen--especially if it is a phone number that I need to call soon. Being able to highlight it and have it dial automatically is pretty nice.

Taking screen shots is a whole lot easier with screen write, IMO.

I've actually taken screen shots on a PC, and emailed them to my Note 4, and used screen write to edit the picture with some markups. Sent that edited photo to a couple of customers.

I use S-Note all the time in meetings.

It's been really handy in this forum, too, using it to help make "walk through" answers complete with screen shots that I wrote on.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15...80ec4462e5.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails I've Had My Galaxy Note 4 Nearly Three Months & I've Never Taken My S-Pen Out - What Am I Missing?-uploadfromtaptalk1421277279817.jpg  
    LaTuFu likes this.
    01-14-2015 05:14 PM
    Samsung started with the big screen because of the s pen, not because they wanted to make a big screen phone. Sure everyone laughed at the original Note users, well they're not laughing any more. Now they're making big phones just to keep up. The note is a phablet, not using it as such is such a waste.
    brad419 likes this.
    01-14-2015 05:15 PM
    Looks like you're on Verizon, see their Note 4 user manual here (S-Pen info starts on page 30): http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/...y-note4-ug.pdf
    Huh? What? People actually RTFM?????

whymista likes this.
    01-14-2015 07:37 PM
    Samsung started with the big screen because of the s pen, not because they wanted to make a big screen phone. Sure everyone laughed at the original Note users, well they're not laughing any more. Now they're making big phones just to keep up. The note is a phablet, not using it as such is such a waste.
    Maybe Samsung did make a big screen because of the S pen, but that doesn't mean people will or have to use it now does it? Samsung doesn't sell millions of Note's because of the S pen, Note's sell because they have some of the best specs, cpu & gpu, better screens, battery etc.

Saying a phablet is best used with a S pen is nothing but a matter of opinion and I can guarantee you the percentage of people who don't use the S pen far exceeds the people who do use it. But hey to each his own.
    01-14-2015 11:04 PM
    Maybe Samsung did make a big screen because of the S pen, but that doesn't mean people will or have to use it now does it? Samsung doesn't sell millions of Note's because of the S pen, Note's sell because they have some of the best specs, cpu & gpu, better screens, battery etc.

Saying a phablet is best used with a S pen is nothing but a matter of opinion and I can guarantee you the percentage of people who don't use the S pen far exceeds the people who do use it. But hey to each his own.
    Sure. And lots of us bought the phone thinking we'd never, ever use the S Pen and are pleasantly surprised to be wrong.
    01-14-2015 11:20 PM
    For anyone not using the Spen I suggest spending an afternoon on YouTube and search for spen. You will find uses you never even had an idea of.

Then put all your post-it notes and notepads out of reach. When you need to take a note and there is nothing else handy, pull out the spen, double-tap the screen with the pen button pressed. Up will pop the action note and go for it.

Are you ever out and about and fishing for a pen and paper? Pull out the spen. Won't take long and you'll wonder why you never did.

Its just like any other tool. Only useful when you need it. And indespensable when needed. But you need to learn how to use it.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
    01-14-2015 11:45 PM
    Sure. And lots of us bought the phone thinking we'd never, ever use the S Pen and are pleasantly surprised to be wrong.
    Enjoy your S pen, personally I haven't used the S pen with my previous Note 2, so im sure I wont miss not using it with my with my Note 4.
    01-14-2015 11:52 PM
    I rarely touch my Note 4 without using the S Pen.
    Makes everything easier, typing is easier or just write if you prefer, better to play games with, web surfing far better.
    I can not imagine having a Note 4 and never using the Pen.

That reminds me of around the turn of the century when all the people with a Horse and Buggy looked at the Automobile and said I will never use that, I prefer the horse.
    01-15-2015 09:55 AM
    The stylus is great for some games too.
    01-15-2015 11:51 AM
    Mine doesn't smell horrible.
    Love the spen. Use a lot

Posted via the Android Central App
    brad419 likes this.
    01-15-2015 03:27 PM
    Whaaat?
    Attached Thumbnails I've Had My Galaxy Note 4 Nearly Three Months & I've Never Taken My S-Pen Out - What Am I Missing?-1421358742639.jpg  
    karsdroid likes this.
    01-15-2015 03:52 PM
    just a couple of days ago i was on the phone and was given a confirmation number....just put the call on speaker and whipped out the pen and took down the number in action memo.....ditto when talking to my son and wrote down his new address.....

in fact i use s note all of the time.....i went to a meeting this morning where everyone whipped out binders and i popped open my phone and my note 8 so i could use one for writing notes and one for referring to calendar etc!!

direct input.......one of the things i loved about pocket pc's back in the day was using a stylus to handwrite and have that turned into text, when i transitioned to my first smart phone i was shocked that a stylus was considered old school and no handwriting recognition. when the note came out i desperately wanted one and yet was on verizon and had to wait for the note 2. i now would never consider buying a phone or tablet without a stylus and handwriting recognition....and frankly the fact that the spen does a million other things is icing!!
    kellyjdrummer and GregMargie like this.
    01-15-2015 05:29 PM
    Having both a note tablet and phone I went for a pen sized stylus that has an eraser head. Very convenient with Lecture Notes or S-Note. My tablet case even has an elastic pen holder for it.

Galaxy Note Genuine Wacom Touch Pen 8pi Stylus (ET-S200EBEG) - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009PJN1U8...cUvbUpU4181525

01-15-2015 11:14 PM
    Having both a note tablet and phone I went for a pen sized stylus that has an eraser head. Very convenient with Lecture Notes or S-Note. My tablet case even has an elastic pen holder for it.

Galaxy Note Genuine Wacom Touch Pen 8pi Stylus (ET-S200EBEG) - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009PJN1U8...cUvbUpU4181633

Tempting.
    01-16-2015 01:11 AM
    from what i read in this thread, the s pen is a waste. Pen/paper went out with the 90's. its just as easy to open an app and TYPE in a note or idea. my 76 year old mother uses a pen/paper
    01-16-2015 05:16 AM
76 1234