On the fence about switching from iPhone to Galaxy Note 4

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Depends on heavily vested you are in the Apple ecosystem. I don't think you Can go wrong either way.

I am in the process of making my Note 4 self aware.

I'm heavily vested in both. I used to worry about that but I don't anymore. If and when I get another decent iOS device (have just an iPhone 4 now) I know I have all my apps waiting for me. Since last May I haven't spent much time in iOS (had white and black 5s' (one jailbroken, one not). The whole BendGate thing left me feeling less excited about the iPhone than I typically feel in the Fall.

gpo1956

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I've got to say that I've been pretty disappointed in the Note 4. Battery life started out great and has steadily gotten worse by the week. The lag is terribly irritating aslo. If I had it to do over again I would have gone back to the 6Plus. I've had fun experimenting and playing with Android over the last 3-4 years, but now I'm just wanting something that works smoothly and consistantly.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've got to say that I've been pretty . Battery life started out great and has steadily gotten worse by the week. The lag is terribly irritating aslo. If I had it to do over again I would have gone back to the 6Plus. I've had fun experimenting and playing with Android over the last 3-4 years, but now I'm just wanting something that works smoothly and consistantly.

That's something I didn't see coming, " disappointed in the Note 4". Have you considered wiping your cache partition? Have you disabled the carrier bloat in Application Mangler?

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I have booth. I've been a long-time iPhone user and recently upgraded to the 6+. I've always been curious about Android, so I got an S5 a while ago and upgraded that to the Note 4.
I really love both (they're on different carriers), but I could never live without my iPhone (have a Mac and an iPad), and I love the way they all sync via iCloud. At the same time, though, I love my Note 4, and usually use it to make calls (T-Mobile, so calls via WiFi), plus I have a cool note app that allows me to make notes after (or during all calls). I like the way Android allows one app to contact other apps. Plus, I've just discovered launchers.
If I HAD to choose just one, I'd go with the iPhone, but that's just to syncing between my different iDevices.

My sentiments exactly... I find it funny when people are adamant about "never touching IOS".... I can see enjoying other OS, but Apple and IOS are amazing machines... I think it is more of a political statement than it is a hatred for the equipment....

Saying "Iphones Suck" is just stupid...

gpo1956

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
That's something I didn't see coming, " disappointed in the Note 4". Have you considered wiping your cache partition? Have you disabled the carrier bloat in Application Mangler?

Yes I have. I've even deleted a lot of apps and widgets that I really enjoyed using.

mrsmoore78

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if you've made your decision yet, but I had an iPhone for 6 years, switching every 2 years with my upgrade. I DO have a Mac Book AND iPad, so I was worried about losing iMessage and being able to sync to all of my devices. However, there were a lot of issues I had where sometimes my iMessages were going to my iPad or Mac Book but not my phone, and vice versa. I would always find a way to work it out, but iPhones and Apple products aren't always perfect either.

Anyway, I wanted to try the big screen and I honestly felt like I just kept getting the same phone every 2 years, so I made the switch to Note 4 with my husband. I think if you're a longtime iPhone person, the customization options are so vast that it can be a bit overwhelming, but if you really enjoy technology (like I do) it is fun to learn all of the options. You can set your Note 4 up to look almost exactly like your iPhone at first and then branch out into widgets, launchers, etc.

If you're up for a new adventure, GO FOR THE NOTE 4. I truly think you will love it, but even if you don't, you can upgrade in 2 years and get another iPhone. You're not stuck for life. My bet is your'e like me, the iPhone is safe and does work well, but are you really excited to buy the same phone again? I wasn't even excited about my upgrade because I was like great, can't wait to spend $399 on the same thing I have with a slightly different shape this time.

I have had my NOTE 4 for about 4 months now (since the launch) and I keep learning new things I can do with it. My husband bought me the Gear 2 watch for my birthday and I LOVE being able to get notifications and use my pedometer, etc throughout the day. There are seriously so many more options with android, but the Samsung Note 4 is a cut above the rest.

Let us know what you choose. I have found these forums to be so helpful in helping me discover new things about my phone. People are so kind and willing to help each other in the learning process. Good luck!

Last edited:

kobe008

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Someone explain to me why people always say 'oh you'll miss imessage'. I've never used it but I did read a description of it and it sounds just like Hangouts. Everything listed that imessage did I can do in Hangouts as well.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
My sentiments exactly... I find it funny when people are adamant about "never touching IOS".... I can see enjoying other OS, but Apple and IOS are amazing machines... I think it is more of a political statement than it is a hatred for the equipment....

Saying "Iphones Suck" is just stupid...

I agree saying they suck is stupid, they are well made, and perform their function well . . .

. . . but I would never choose to purchase a iOS device. I don't like the OS for a multitude of reasons, many of those normally quoted. I can honestly say that I cannot think of one thing I prefer about iOS. I have a work iPad, so I use iOS frequently, and find myself frustrated by it on most days because I miss Android. I never got invested in the ecosystem, mostly because I never saw the value of iTunes. Sure I used iTunes when it was all we had, and owned multiple devices. Once I had a choice, I was gone. I am heavily invested in Google, so naturally Android works much better for me.

My wife has had iPhones for years, and I don't like using her phone. Each time I pick it up, I am reminded how much I don't care for it.

For me it is not political at all. I don't like the phone, but I can recognize why others do. It is great that we have choices. My wife will likely never switch to Android, she finds it 'confusing'. So be it. There is a reason the stereotypes exist. They are actually true for a large number of people.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Someone explain to me why people always say 'oh you'll miss imessage'. I've never used it but I did read a description of it and it sounds just like Hangouts. Everything listed that imessage did I can do in Hangouts as well.

I think the same thing every time I see this. I think Hangouts may have more functionality, but may not be quite as easy to set up initially. Plus, on the iPhone, iMessage is always live. None of the Google products, in my experience, keep you logged in. I text my wife (on iPhone) because Hangouts on the iPhone is not 'always on'.

So, if your circle are all on iPhone, then iMessage works great. If all your folks are on Android, Hangouts is great. If you have a mix, I use Hangouts, but there are multiple options. Really reminds me of BBM.

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I've got to say that I've been pretty disappointed in the Note 4. Battery life started out great and has steadily gotten worse by the week. The lag is terribly irritating aslo. If I had it to do over again I would have gone back to the 6Plus. I've had fun experimenting and playing with Android over the last 3-4 years, but now I'm just wanting something that works smoothly and consistantly.

Sounds like you have a problem with your phone, I have never had any of those problems, Your battery life getting worse by the week is a indication of a problem with your phone. The Note 4 has some of the best battery life on a phone, the reviews praise the battery in the Note 4. You can try watching the video on Youtube on 50 Note 4 tips and tricks, there are a few tricks on how you can speed up your Note 4 by disabling unnecessary things in Touchwiz. I dont get any lag on my Note 4 whatsoever.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you have a problem with your phone, I have never had any of those problems, Your battery life getting worse by the week is a indication of a problem with your phone. The Note 4 has some of the best battery life on a phone, the reviews praise the battery in the Note 4. You can try watching the video on Youtube on 50 Note 4 tips and tricks, there are a few tricks on how you can speed up your Note 4 by disabling unnecessary things in Touchwiz. I dont get any lag on my Note 4 whatsoever.

This.

jayk82

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Just sold my 6 Plus and purchased a Note 4!!! So pumped for my Note to get here!!

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Can't wait to get back into town from business on Friday night and get switched back!

I've been an Android guy for years. I tend to dabble in iOS from time to time, but always come back to Android. I recently got rid of a Nexus 6 and have been using a 6 Plus for a few days. It's taking some getting used to. And I keep eyeing the Note 4. (plus if I get it on AT&T Next before the 2nd, I can get a $100 bill credit)

If you don't care to elaborate, what specifically made you go to the Note from the 6 Plus?

jayk82

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I've been an Android guy for years. I tend to dabble in iOS from time to time, but always come back to Android. I recently got rid of a Nexus 6 and have been using a 6 Plus for a few days. It's taking some getting used to. And I keep eyeing the Note 4. (plus if I get it on AT&T Next before the 2nd, I can get a $100 bill credit)

If you don't care to elaborate, what specifically made you go to the Note from the 6 Plus?

I've been the exact opposite; Apple guy while dabbling in pretty much everything else (Palm Treo still being my favorite!)...

iOS, while having its obvious positives, hasn't really done anything for me lately. I miss the Skeuomorphism of pre iOS 7 for some reason. With Android, and others, I enjoy tinkering on my phone in moments when I feel like it.

The 6 Plus is an awesome phone, just miss the things that come with an Android. I know there will be trade-offs, but it's something I'm willing to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance