Can the Note 4 replace pen/paper for note-taking in college?

stealthbr

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone! I currently own a Samsung Galaxy S4, but would like to upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. The main reason for the switch is because I am interested in the S-Pen and its many functionalities. My question is, will I be able to effectively use the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 as my main note-taking apparatus, or will such prove to be difficult due to the screen's size? Has anyone here done this before? What were your experiences like?

Thanks!

Last edited:

barrettdaniel

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
IMO, it's probably too small. It's excellent for taking some small notes. I use it at the gym to write down my weights for my workout, and some different things like that. I just think if you're taking a lot of notes like in a class you may find it too small. But, that's just my opinion. I've never taken that quantity of notes with it so perhaps it would be awesome! For sure the tools are there on the phone to enable you to do it, though!

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I tend to agree with barrettdaniel, although I think the Note 4 is Fabulous and certainly capable of it..... and depending on your abilities and adaptability you may love it for that. I know there are a lot of 'note' taking apps and one of those might help make it more proficient. For one example, Evernote. Here is a link to Google play with some others that may be more specific to compiling notebooks...... https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...arch?q=note+taking+apps&c=apps&token=gPZFlERD

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I love my Note 4, but the device to do what y ou ask about is the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition.....with either Microsoft OneNote or with LectureNotes (in Play store) you can definitely do what you're asking. The bigger size really helps....makes a great complement to the Note4, but will set you back ~$500.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I love my Note 4, but the device to do what y ou ask about is the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition.....with either Microsoft OneNote or with LectureNotes (in Play store) you can definitely do what you're asking. The bigger size really helps....makes a great complement to the Note4, but will set you back ~$500.
I was going to suggest going to that tablet, but couldn't bring myself to say it, because I want one sooooooo bad, but I really don't need to have it, rather just want it!!! LOL!

Hielko

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I use the Note 4 for all my work notes, no paper anymore. So I take notes during meetings, personal talks and whenever something I have to remember comes to my mind. I used to do this on my Note 2, now it is even better with the Note 4.

Posted via the Android Central App

yeatzee

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I did it all last quarter, started because I forgot my laptops charger and used it out of necessity but I found it so valuable that I used it very often. Being able to take pictures of the board / screen and convert to notes was awesome and also being able to draw graphs + type out text together was great.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a Note 4 and a Note Pro 12.2. I can't stand writing on my Note 4 . . the screen is way to small and I find myself pressing the back button by mistake a LOT.

I think the recommendation to go with a Note 10.1 is a good one, and LectureNotes is a great application. It's interface looks odd and complicated at first but it's probably the most powerful note taking application around for straight up note taking. What it lacks in terms of OCR/handwriting recognition it makes up for in other ways which make taking handwritten notes a breeze.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
First, I second what was said about lecturenotes. It is confusing at first, but it is incredibly powerful for making use of all of the PowerPoint presentations you will get. They start to pile up.

I used a note 8.0 and then a note 10.1 2014 throughout graduate school. And now that the big notes sync with evernote they are truly replacements for pen and paper.

But I don't think I could rely on just my note 4. If I were you I'd go with a note pro 12.2 or a note 10.1 2014.

I'd also recommend evernote, which is an amazing tool and works well if you switch to a non-samsung device in the future. The search feature and tags are very useful.

You'll also want to get an app that converts PowerPoint to pdf so you can fully utilizes S Note or another program like lecturenotes, which is what I used a lot with dropbox.

Like I said, I did this for 4 years and it made a huge difference in my organization. I started with an iPad, but I have never gone back since switching to the note series.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I think the Note 4 would be a bit small for taking lots of handwritten notes, at a feverish pace especially, but it would be possible. I could see using it for taking just a few notes or a moderate # of notes.

I have the Note Pro 12.2" tablet too and it's AWESOME for taking lots of handwritten notes. The Note 10.1" would be great too.

If anything, you might do well to pair your Note 4 with a Bluetooth keyboard. This new one is very small and compact, could fit both in your pocket. And it claims to be very fast to type on.

I've never tried it but would like to. They look to be on back order for 3 months.

http://www.designboom.com/technology/waytools-textblade-keyboard-typing-phones-tablets-01-15-2015/

Attachments

• 1421803961802.jpg
    1421803961802.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 73

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Must totally agree with the wisdom of recommending a Galaxy Note Tablet (10 or 12 either one would probably do). College note taking is going to be pretty demanding and even as big as the Note 4 is, its not a tablet and not a full sized notepad. And the S4 is still a respectable phone. I just upgraded from one and my son took it over. Let me suggest a compromise solution.

First, yes look at the Galaxy Note Tablet. It's a great tool for note taking. I use it for work meetings and have lots of notes.
For a nice add on to your phone, go to Amazon and grab one of these: The Joy Factory Pinpoint Precision Active Stylus with Ultra-Slim Tip (BCU201) for iPad, iPad Air, Mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Note, HP Elite, Google Nexus and related tablets

It is no S-Pen. But it works respectably well with LectureNotes or the S-Memo program you have on the S-4. Great for out and about quick note taking.

So now you'll have a full size tablet for class, and an adequate solution for out and about when you really need to write something quick (assuming of course that you carry the "pen" with you since the S4 doesn't have any storage compartment.

Here is another stylus alternative for the S4 that is much cheaper and not bad (and more compact), but not near as good as the powered one above: iKross Galaxy Touch Screen Stylus Pen for Samsung Galaxy S5 S 5, Galaxy S IV / S4 GT-I9500, Galaxy S3 / S III - White

Again, these styluses are not like the S-Pen and in no way a replacement for note taking on a notepad or tablet. Just a way to get limited writing ability on your S4 so you can get the tablet.

Now of course if you could afford to upgrade your phone AND get a tablet, well that would be great. But my memory of college was one of not so available funds :).

There are several Youtube tutorials by college students showing some pretty fancy note taking using their Galaxy tablets. Take a look around. LectureNotes and the delivered S-Note program are great. Another one to consider is Kno, which was specifically designed for college use. Can get textebooks through them as well as import PDFs for annotation and collaborate with other students that have it.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
If funds are tight, you might want to consider a Chromebook. My kids both have this one. It's cheap @ $199, light, and small. You can easily sync your docs/spreadsheets/etc with your Note 4 (or other Android phone) with the Google Drive app.

Acer C720
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-C720-Chr...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4190126

You can spend more to get one with a nicer screen but they really like this one for the size and speed (boots up in about 7 seconds).

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Sit where you can hear really well and use the Voice Memo mode, then pull the Spen out and take notes as you wish. Think I would run HiFiRecorder at the same time as a backup. When you sit down to make sense of the whole thing you would probably have a real good idea of the subject OR not a clue. Don't know if it would work but it sounds like fun to try.

pre1561

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The Note 4 is about the same size as a 3x5 Note pad, maybe a little bigger, it will work. I do it all of the time.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The Note 4 is about the same size as a 3x5 Note pad, maybe a little bigger, it will work. I do it all of the time.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

It can and will work but there may be better options for long-term note-taking. I like the idea of the 10.1 or 12.2 Notes but they do come with a $$$ cost.

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Can't see the Note 4 replacing pen and paper just in the same way that a rampant rabbit can't cut the grass or put shelves up.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, I think you've received very good feedback already! :)
But to pile on, I agree with most. The Note 4 cannot replace your note taking in college unless you're used to writing on a mini-pad already. In my case, I'm used to writing on full-sized notebooks, so the phone is too small and my hand just cannot rest easily while note taking, making my handwriting even worse than it already is. The Note 10.1, however, is the perfect size for me and lets me rest my hand while writing just like a notebook would. That being said, the Note 10.1 has the drawback of not having an AMOLED screen, so battery consumption will be higher, meaning that if you use it 'aggressively' at school, you probably will need to find a charging port before your day is done. I switched to a Galaxy Tab S 10.5 and looooove the screen and battery life, but miss the S-Pen dearly. As soon as a new Note tablet with AMOLED screen comes out, I'm jumping in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36