paranoid about the s-pen

Ventura726

May 16, 2012
Visit site
YMMV. I have had two Note 4s and on the first one, I never had any issues with the pen scratching the screen. Yesterday, I got a brand new Note 4 and the first time I pulled out the S-Pen and used it, it left a nice inch-long scratch on the screen. I'll be adding a screen protector ASAP.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
YMMV. I have had two Note 4s and on the first one, I never had any issues with the pen scratching the screen. Yesterday, I got a brand new Note 4 and the first time I pulled out the S-Pen and used it, it left a nice inch-long scratch on the screen. I'll be adding a screen protector ASAP.

Are you serious? That stinX.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Just curious why you have had 2 note 4's within such a short period of time?

Ventura726

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm a chronic phone switcher. I got the Note 4 the day after Christmas on T-Mobile's Jump plan. Had it for about 10 days. Liked it but it wasn't insanely better than my OnePlus One so I returned it. Well my OPO started acting up again and my only recourse was to email them and wait a few days for a response. I got annoyed with that, and still dug the Note 4 so I got one again yesterday. I looked at the tip of the S-Pen a little closer and it seems the one that came in the phone had a sharp edge on it. I switched it out with one of the extra tips in the box and it is much smoother now. Scratch is still there but I guess I'll live with it. It's only noticeable in certain conditions, so it's not the end of the world.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm a chronic phone switcher. I got the Note 4 the day after Christmas on T-Mobile's Jump plan. Had it for about 10 days. Liked it but it wasn't insanely better than my OnePlus One so I returned it. Well my OPO started acting up again and my only recourse was to email them and wait a few days for a response.

That is precisely why I DO NOT want a One Plus One or any other non-mainstream phone. I like knowing I can take my awesome Note 4 or Note 3 right into the carrier's store and get the issue settled. I also like knowing I can buy accessories retail (though with Amazon's same-day shipping that's not really an issue anymore).

Samsung, LG, Apple or whatever else the carrier has retail. Those options are more than enough for me. The whole silly invite-only thing with One Plus just made me shake my head.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I do have a tempered glass screen protector and no issues. I also have the Note 2014 edition tablet...no screen protection and NO scratches. Spen is safe

Posted via the Android Central App

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Well said and I completely agree!

My whole purpose for using/staying with the Note is the S Pen. I use it all day long to use all functions of my phone. My fingers rarely touch the screen! I previously had the Note 2 and did the same.....that phone is in pretty perfect condition after 2 years of use. I did put a Zagg glass protector on my Note 4.....and it's wonderful.

How did you get one to fit? They have replaced mine for halo about 5 times now and I have another on the way right now.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
How did you get one to fit? They have replaced mine for halo about 5 times now and I have another on the way right now.

I actually got it for FREE (and have lifetime replacement) at the CES Show a few weeks ago. The Zagg booth was doing a demo on them and they put one on my phone for free!

I'm not quite sure I understand the whole 'Halo' thing so many are talking about......the only thing I very SLIGHTLY notice is a very very small-ish lighter border around the outer edges only when the screen is OFF, not when it's ON......so if that is what is meant by 'halo', it doesn't Bother me or Interfere ONE bit! I am thrilled to have the Glass Protection and especially it didn't cost me $40!

pappcam

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site

That doesn't sound right. I've never scratched my phone using my s-pen and I use it a lot. Are you sure you weren't using an exacto knife by mistake. lol

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I actually got it for FREE (and have lifetime replacement) at the CES Show a few weeks ago. The Zagg booth was doing a demo on them and they put one on my phone for free!

I'm not quite sure I understand the whole 'Halo' thing so many are talking about......the only thing I very SLIGHTLY notice is a very very small-ish lighter border around the outer edges only when the screen is OFF, not when it's ON......so if that is what is meant by 'halo', it doesn't Bother me or Interfere ONE bit! I am thrilled to have the Glass Protection and especially it didn't cost me $40!

I ruined my first Zagg protector because I did not know about the halo effect and thought I messed up. Got it replaced and same as you, it really isn't that noticable. Wife doesn't even see it on her phone even though it it there.
I thought they were working on a fix.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I ruined my first Zagg protector because I did not know about the halo effect and thought I messed up. Got it replaced and same as you, it really isn't that noticable. Wife doesn't even see it on her phone even though it it there.

The halo on Zagg doesn't bother me much. Sure I wish it weren't there but it's only very slight.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
You know, If a person worked in a sandpaper factory the s-pen could be a screen scratching problem. I don't need to worry about that problem though.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

LOL, but at least you realized/worked it out. Yes, I am very happy with mine. You don't see a thing when the screen is lit up and perfectly clear and beautiful.

As far as a 'fix' mentioned above... When I spoke with a Samsung rep at Best Buy about something else, I mentioned the free Zagg I received and asked him why everyone is talking about a halo effect.... He looked at my phone and said, "Nice, looks like you got one of the newer ones." Not sure if that is the case or not. All I can say is I'm very happy!

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
The S-Pen will not scratch your screen. The nib on the S-Pen is actually pretty soft and will wear down with use, so that it doesn't scratch the screen. That's why we got replacement tips in the box, along with a pulling tool to replace them.

There is always a chance you can pick up a piece of dust or sand with the S-Pen and drag it across the screen when using it, so it isn't a bad idea to clean your screen with a MF cloth from time to time.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
its got gorilla glass. if knives/keys won't scratch it. The plastic s pen sure won't. Don't worry about it. I haven't heard any problems like that on any note and there's 4 of them now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol