Gear VR - who's getting one?

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I have one, the thing is awesome! All the Google Cardboard apps and of course the Gear VR apps are the bomb.

Personally I think every Note 4 owner should experience the VR cardboard and the gear offer. It is a total different world.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I have one, the thing is awesome! All the Google Cardboard apps and of course the Gear VR apps are the bomb.

Personally I think every Note 4 owner should experience the VR cardboard and the gear offer. It is a total different world.

What does the Gear VR do that the Google Cardboard can't do?

UptownWebhead

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Haven't tried the Gear VR but I have the Oculus Rift and it's pretty awesome. I imagine it's great as well. I recently played Affected: The Manor after seeing some kids play it on the React channel, it was in freaking tense. You really feel like you're in the game. Never once while playing did I feel like I just had on some goggles, I was ducking and trying to look away. Overall it's awesome.

Posted via the Android Central App

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Cardboard has the sliding magnets. I sometimes use a BT mouse or joystick for input with either. Gear VR has a full blown software interface that comes up with menus controlled by a touch-pad on the right side of the unit. It is like a touch-pad mouse with sliding fwd/back and up/down and taps. In addition there are volume up/down and a back button on the right side of the Gear VR. A sensor senses when you put you face up to the Gear VR and starts the app and pauses anything you have going when you take it off. It is a nice unit but I want to replace the lenses with glass lenses from Edmond Scientific if I can get the focal length and diameter.

atcach

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
Ok. But regarding the immersive expeience and picture quality/ lenses. Can you feel the differences between them ?
Is the gear vr so much better than the cardboard with a bt keyboard with mousepad ?
Thanks

cadcoke5

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
A the VR Philly Meetup this past Thursday, I was able to try out a Gear VR. I was actually hoping for more.

However, the only things I could look at was a demo game. And since I only looked for a few minutes, the time-lag improvement would not have mattered.

I have a ColorCross, and though it does not quite fit the Note, I would not want to put the phone inside anyway, since you need to be able to quicly remove the phone to do things like tough the screen sometimes. So, my plan is to modify the ColorCross to hold the phone on the outside of the device, using some rubber bands.

I have a bluetooth controller, but it is almost useless, since it doesn't work with most VR apps. I am not sure if it is the controller itself, or that the VR stuff is not designed to make use of a controller. But, in reality, this VR app stuff is new, and it may take a while for them to mature to the point where they are easy to user and interface with. Of course, making something useful, other than games, is still another thing for the future.

So,

Chris Beaudoin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Who is planning to get the Gear VR virtual reality headset for your Note 4?

Who already has one or has tried it already? Looks pretty cool. Hope it's worth all the hype.

Gear VR: http://youtu.be/-gnvQS2xhRg

I had it and returned it. It's a pointless waste of money. You have to sit there with a huge thing strapped to your face. You look crazy. Not only that, you can't use it anywhere but home. Can't use it at work, or the car. It's way way to expensive to justify.

Also it really is not true VR. You want a great experience...... get a 65" 3d tv, surround sound and your set. I really feel like the Gear VR is the biggest waste of money yet to come out of samsung.

May The note 4's be with you

deveinn

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Is the Gear VR region-specific? Or has carrier restrictions? I'm in the Middle East (out of the US) and thought about buying it online, but then I changed my mind and preferred to wait till it comes to my market to avoid incompatibility issues.

Posted via Samsung Galaxy Note 4

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Is the Gear VR region-specific? Or has carrier restrictions? I'm in the Middle East (out of the US) and thought about buying it online, but then I changed my mind and preferred to wait till it comes to my market to avoid incompatibility issues.

Pretty sure the Gear VR is not region specific. I have had Cardboard and the Gear VR since I first got my Note4 in October. I really like the Gear VR. It can run all the apps for Cardboard with a bit of finagling. I am not on-board with the idea a 65" 3d tv is the same, not even close to me. The Gear VR is a full 360° totally immersive experience. I watched a video of a fireworks display in Sydney shot from a drone, it was an awesome experience. Many of the apps for the Gear VR and the Cardboard really need to have a full swivel chair to keep from getting hurt banging into things and falling down. If you want a big screen experience get yourself a 65" tv, if you want a 100" tv in true 3d along with a virtual roller coaster, virtual space travel, virtual FPS, virtual whatever else they can come up with to "LITTERALLY" throw at you, toss in a little vertigo and a nice dose of motion sickness then get you a Gear VR. You have already spent 700 plus dollars on a really fine phone, I have no problems spending $200 more to have what it has to offer. If you never experience it, and I mean really experience it fully, you never know what you are missing. I personally don't care that I look foolish with this big ole thing strapped on my head. It is hilarious when those that laugh at you can do nothing but duck, almost fall flat on their face and can't say anything but "WHOA, WOW, WEE, COOL WOW LOOK AT THAT!"

deveinn

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Chuck Young .. thanks a lot for your reply. I agree with you; I only tried the paper goggles for the Cardboard and I was really entertained, so imagine how I would feel with Gear VR. Thanks.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
The only problem I have with the Gear VR is I would like to see higher quality lenses and occasionally I have a problem with the thing fogging over. If I knew what lenses to get I would buy a replacement real glass set from Edmond Scientific. I think there could be a real use for these things for people in hospitals and such that cannot get out. For those people there needs to be some kind of streaming online content of 3d inspired virtual reality.