11-17-2016 12:13 AM
65 123
tools
    I've let my galaxies charge overnight every night for years never had any battery issues. None to speak of so far with my Note 4.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-23-2015 10:45 PM
    This is why I don't mind using the Qi charger by the bed at night. It is a slow charge relatively speaking. I have taken the Qi chargers apart and they have a but load of flat packs and chips in them to control charging. A bit of heat comes from the base unit though.

I have done it every night with every smartphone/PDA/laptop, for well over 15 years, with lithium batteries. It is fine and will not do harm.
    In a perfect world, the battery would last longer if you could get it closer to 50%, and hold it there. But the phone does not do that, and you would only have 50% capacity in the morning, so what is the point.
    Plug it in overnight, no harm.

The phone electronics are smart enough to not overcharge it. Because the battery can be removed, it also has the electronics in the battery pack itself to prevent overcharge damage. So it is double protected from overcharge, and over discharge.

The alternative is to leave the phone turned on and not on charge at night. The WILL cycle the battery and it WILL consume some of the limited number of battery cycles that you have. (these batteries are rated in cycles) That is goofy.
    Or alternately, you can power off the phone over night. But then, that misses the point of why I have a phone. That is goofy.
    So I leave mine ON, and PLUGGED IN. It has worked for way too many years and years and years on ALL of my lithium battery powered devices for anyone to tell me that it is the wrong thing to do.

I'll admit that I use an old slow charger for my overnight charging. No reason for me to 'rush' to 100%, and potentially generate heat, which is VERY bad for lithium batteries. So what if it takes 3 hours.

A number of devices instruct you to unplug them once they are fully charged. If you research it, that is typically a 'green energy' thing. They are trying to get you to save a few fractions of a watt hour. A noble thing indeed, but it isn't to promote battery life.
    01-23-2015 11:55 PM
    This is why I don't mind using the Qi charger by the bed at night. It is a slow charge relatively speaking. I have taken the Qi chargers apart and they have a but load of flat packs and chips in them to control charging. A bit of heat comes from the base unit though.
    Heat's a big battery killer, though. I got turned off of Qi charging on my Lumia 920. The battery stopped charging past 60% within a matter of months.
    01-24-2015 12:38 AM
    every single phone i ever had (and im a phone *****) gets charged over night. usually 8 hours. dont sweat it
    01-24-2015 07:00 AM
    If you read the label on the battery it say not to leave your phone overnight charged. Once your battery is charge the max to leave it on the plug is about an hour.

Amazing Verizon Galaxy Note 4
    01-24-2015 08:52 AM
    Heat = bad for the battery.
    This is the reason I don't even look at wireless chargers. they are inefficient and generate a lot of heat near the battery.
    I'm good with pushing in a connector.

If you read the label on the battery it say not to leave your phone overnight charged. Once your battery is charge the max to leave it on the plug is about an hour.
    And if you research it, the main reason for that is to save a few fractions of a watt of energy.
    01-24-2015 08:57 AM
    I've charged every single phone I've ever had overnight since the days of the Atrix, Samsung SG2, iPhone 4s.
    I'm up to the Note 4, Lumia 1520, and the iPhone 6. Haven't ruined one battery or device yet by charging overnight.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤
    llfloyd79 and Natanoj like this.
    01-24-2015 09:21 AM
    I too have charged all my phones over night. And I have had MANY phones...in my day. I never had a issue with the battery not holding a charge. But with that said I have never kept the same phone over a year either....so. I upgrade every yr. Sometimes twice a year, so even if there was a drop in how long my battery held a charge it was not noticeable at all for me.

01-24-2015 10:25 AM
    Every single night from the day I bought it back on like Nov 1st so, if I am guessing right, approx. 85 days in a row.
    01-24-2015 01:27 PM
    This is the reason I don't even look at wireless chargers. they are inefficient and generate a lot of heat near the battery.

And if you research it, the main reason for that is to save a few fractions of a watt of energy.
    To each his own, but I have had not such issues with my Qi charging. Been using TYLT VU for well over a year and I have not noticed any impact on battery life. It maybe slightly warmer, but you have to generate some real heat before you are going to create a noticeable issue.

Maybe I am lazy, but it sure is nice to just put my phone down and have it top off for the night.
    01-24-2015 02:08 PM
    I have used the same Qi charger for my Note 2 for 2 years and since the beginning of my Note 4 and it is still going strong. It is cool to take it when I expect be away from power long enough I might need a charge. I have even charged my phone while in my pocket. You can even use wires if you want. The Note 4 and the charger are essentially the same size you know.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...cUvbUpU4196562
    01-24-2015 02:22 PM
    Mod note: please keep the discussion civil and on topic.

From an AOSP M8
    01-24-2015 04:27 PM
    Leaving the charger on overnight WILL degrade lithium batteries. You all probably have noticed that battery doesn't last as long after couple of years. It is usually heat and overcharging deteriorating the lithium battery.

DO I always disconnect my phone overnight? No, I usually leave mine connected since it is only convenient time for me to charge my smartphone. I do notice the smart chargers are getting better and they tend to make batteries last longer.

More important question may be, what kind of chargers one uses with the lithium battery chemistry. There are numerous lithium battery types, LiIon, LiPolymer, LiMg, etc. Each lithium battery chemistry has different charging voltage and charging properties. If you want to be anal...

But, like many forumites have already mentioned, it seems it's OK to leave it connected to charger overnight. I do most of the time.
    01-24-2015 05:44 PM
    ???

I charge my phone every night through the night. It's my alarm clock.

What would make you think that charging your phone is bad for your phone?
    It's probably not true any more, but there was definitely a time when overcharging your notebook could easily ruin its battery. Possibly the OP was thinking of this.
    01-24-2015 07:24 PM

I didn't asked for any of that information but thank you. Also my comment didn't come with a question. If I wanted to further my research I would have.

Amazing Verizon Galaxy Note 4
    01-24-2015 07:34 PM
    I've charged every smartphone I've ever owned every single night, all night, ND have never had an issue with a battery that was less than two years old.
    plumcrazy likes this.
    01-24-2015 07:40 PM
    Don't worry. You are fine

01-24-2015 11:16 PM
    Leaving the charger on overnight WILL degrade lithium batteries. You all probably have noticed that battery doesn't last as long after couple of years. It is usually heat and overcharging deteriorating the lithium battery.

DO I always disconnect my phone overnight? No, I usually leave mine connected since it is only convenient time for me to charge my smartphone. I do notice the smart chargers are getting better and they tend to make batteries last longer.

More important question may be, what kind of chargers one uses with the lithium battery chemistry. There are numerous lithium battery types, LiIon, LiPolymer, LiMg, etc. Each lithium battery chemistry has different charging voltage and charging properties. If you want to be anal...

But, like many forumites have already mentioned, it seems it's OK to leave it connected to charger overnight. I do most of the time.
    Li-Ion batteries tend to start to degrade quickly after a couple of years anyway, it's one of their major drawbacks.
    01-24-2015 11:38 PM
    I charge mine every night and is my alarm clock as well.

01-24-2015 11:41 PM
    To each his own, but I have had not such issues with my Qi charging. Been using TYLT VU for well over a year and I have not noticed any impact on battery life. It maybe slightly warmer, but you have to generate some real heat before you are going to create a noticeable issue.

Maybe I am lazy, but it sure is nice to just put my phone down and have it top off for the night.
    I miss my Palm Touchstone so much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    01-25-2015 08:15 AM
    I do it all the time.
    Natanoj likes this.
    01-26-2015 01:33 PM
    Is there any problem? I almost charge it overnight everyday.I don't feel any trouble with my phone. So don't worry! It will be okay.
    01-27-2015 01:28 AM
    Some of the chargers get automatically stop passing the current once the device get fully charged. So there is no big deal if you left it charging for the whole night.
    01-27-2015 03:15 AM
    Some of the chargers get automatically stop passing the current once the device get fully charged. So there is no big deal if you left it charging for the whole night.
    This is the case with most newer phones.
    01-27-2015 11:26 AM
    Did it with every phone I've ever had, including my Note 3.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    plumcrazy likes this.
    01-27-2015 07:12 PM
65 123