11-16-2016 11:13 PM
65 123
tools
    ive done it with every smart-phone and cell phone ive owned since 1992. my most recent phone that ive had long-term (note-2) has been charged essentially every night for about 2 years, unless i forget to plug it in, and ive had zero battery-related issues, excess heat after/during charging, or any other problems. ive left it plugged in on a friday night and unplugged it monday morning quite a few times.
    plumcrazy likes this.
    01-27-2015 08:19 PM
    lol, funny you make such statement. You may want to install any battery monitoring app and check the battery's voltage. It is 4.2v at 100%.

Let me rephrase so its clearer, when you keep your phone on the charger after fully charged, it stays at 100% charge level, which is at a voltage of 4.2 v. For Li-ion batteries, thats high voltage that stresses the battery.

It's not "what works" for anybody, and it is not nice to freely accuse people "spreading myth".

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    You greatly misunderstand the information being provided by that article (which is an outstanding article).

The battery stops charging at 4.2v per cell because that is the max "safe load" (adjusting for safety factor) the battery will handle. Leaving it on a charger overnight will not "stress" the battery. You will need to keep the battery plugged in and subjected to a constant current load for a much longer period of time (i.e. days, weeks, months) to make it unstable or unsafe.

Most people charge their phones overnight these days, and there are almost no reports of battery incidents as a result. If your assertions were true, then there would be much more widespread reports of catastrophic battery failures. At the very least, every new phone would have a huge warning sticker on it "do not leave on charger overnight."

You may not be spreading myth, but you are definitely not understanding how LiPo batteries work.

I've charged every phone I've ever owned overnight on the night stand, have not had one incident. All of my batteries have had very typical service lives for heavily used lithium batteries, 12-18 months. I realize that one person's experience does not make a data point, but I do feel my experience is indicative of the most common form of battery charging by the majority of phone users.
    pappcam, ToddK, goin_nil and 1 others like this.
    01-28-2015 08:19 AM
    lol, funny you make such statement. You may want to install any battery monitoring app and check the battery's voltage. It is 4.2v at 100%.

Let me rephrase so its clearer, when you keep your phone on the charger after fully charged, it stays at 100% charge level, which is at a voltage of 4.2 v. For Li-ion batteries, thats high voltage that stresses the battery.

It's not "what works" for anybody, and it is not nice to freely accuse people "spreading myth".
    Please stop spreading false information.

1) New battery chemistry in modern phones is not 3.7 nominal volts and 4.2 volts charged. Instead it is 3.85v nominal and 4.35v charged. (For example in my galaxy note 4)

2) Google CC/CV charge curves. When the battery is low, initial phase is high current but the curve changes once the battery hits a certain voltage and the charging current gradually drops until it hits 0 at full charge.

3) Protection circuits monitor voltage, charge and discharge currents as well as battery temperature. Leaving your phone plugged in will not let the current or voltage exceed rated specs due to charging / protection circuitry.

4) Keeping your battery below 100% (like say 90) will have negligible effects on increasing battery lifespan (and by then you will have replaced your phone long ago).

Source: Research, experience with Hobby grade Li-Ion and Li-Po batteries/chargers.

Galaxy nexus, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy Note 4 all left overnight with zero issues and no noticible battery degradation.
    plumcrazy and ToddK like this.
    02-22-2015 05:36 AM
    Please stop spreading false information.

1) New battery chemistry in modern phones is not 3.7 nominal volts and 4.2 volts charged. Instead it is 3.85v nominal and 4.35v charged. (For example in my galaxy note 4)

2) Google CC/CV charge curves. When the battery is low, initial phase is high current but the curve changes once the battery hits a certain voltage and the charging current gradually drops until it hits 0 at full charge.

3) Protection circuits monitor voltage, charge and discharge currents as well as battery temperature. Leaving your phone plugged in will not let the current or voltage exceed rated specs due to charging / protection circuitry.

4) Keeping your battery below 100% (like say 90) will have negligible effects on increasing battery lifespan (and by then you will have replaced your phone long ago).

Source: Research, experience with Hobby grade Li-Ion and Li-Po batteries/chargers.

Galaxy nexus, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy Note 4 all left overnight with zero issues and no noticible battery degradation.
    please stop making up your research while denying real scientific measurements.
    02-22-2015 07:47 AM
    please stop making up your research while denying real scientific measurements.
    I am not the one making up research. You are the one who said and I quote...
    "Let me rephrase so its clearer, when you keep your phone on the charger after fully charged, it stays at 100% charge level, which is at a voltage of 4.2 v. For Li-ion batteries, thats high voltage that stresses the battery."

1) You got the basic voltage when charged WRONG.

2) Where are these scientific measurements to back up your points ? (Which you have no valid ones)

3) All the facts I listed are based off scientific research..

Stop whining like a baby because you are incorrect.
    plumcrazy and worwig like this.
    02-22-2015 11:46 AM
    Been doing for 3 months. Battery is still great.

I am in the process of making my Note 4 self aware.
    02-22-2015 12:27 PM
    Well make it 2 people, and I've never had an issue. Just about everyone I know does the same.

Sent from my glorious note 4.
    02-22-2015 01:17 PM
    Omg are we really arguing about this bull****? Plug your phone in and walk away, that's it, it's that simple. The phones processor isn't going to let anything happen to the battery.

Sent from my glorious note 4.
    rong21 and ToddK like this.
    02-22-2015 01:43 PM
    Arguing or even debating this stuff is typically not productive and does little, if anything, to keep the forum enjoyable and constructive.

📱iP6+🔋
    msndrstood, rong21 and ehstaley like this.
    02-22-2015 01:55 PM
    My Note 4 is only a day old.

I have always charged my Note 2 all night every night..... and the battery seems to be as good as ever.
    worwig likes this.
    02-22-2015 02:53 PM
    That's what the charging cradle is for on my nightstand...

Loving the battery life on this beast! Pop it off the charger at 4:30 every morning.. Still have 20+% when I put it back on at around 10-11pm!

Have a spare battery and chargers at work and in the car.... Always needed them before... Doubt I will now! :-)

But, yeah, I've been charging every smart phone I've ever had overnight.... Always HAD too. :-). Never seemed to affect the 500 or so charge cycles every battery has, after about a year and a half, I get a new one. (If I'm still using it anyway, and haven't upgraded. ...and why I will ONLY consider devices that have removable/replaceable batteries. Sorry Apple.

I, now include the S-Pen as indispensable, as well... Not since my old Palm Pilot and Treo's has a device utilized a stylus so well.

I'm in no hurry to upgrade now, the Note 4 is incredible,
    02-22-2015 04:06 PM
    +1

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-22-2015 04:15 PM
    That's right. Charging it over night will not hurt the battery. Also, charging it every time using the fast charger will not hurt the battery.

I use the fast charger for both of my phones every time I charge.
    02-22-2015 05:01 PM
    Here is my thought on the subject.

So I left my Note 4 charging overnight.-calm2.png
    02-22-2015 05:06 PM
    Have you guys done this with your Note 4?

Posted via the Android Central App
    I do it every night! Never any problem. I do it with my laptop, iPad, camera, video camera and anything I charge. Sure hope it's not a problem or I'll be replacing batteries for everything!
    11-16-2016 11:13 PM
65 123