So I left my Note 4 charging overnight.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
lol, funny you make such statement. You may want to install any battery monitoring app and check the battery's voltage. It is 4.2v at 100%.

Let me rephrase so its clearer, when you keep your phone on the charger after fully charged, it stays at 100% charge level, which is at a voltage of 4.2 v. For Li-ion batteries, thats high voltage that stresses the battery.

It's not "what works" for anybody, and it is not nice to freely accuse people "spreading myth".

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

99.99% of all battery charging circuits taper off charging as the battery gets charged. There is no overcharging or stress on the battery once the battery is fully charged because the charger is no longer supplying current to the battery. It's a built safety feature of battery chargers. Sheesh!

Dial square

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Agreed that there's no problem at all. Like someone else said, my old S3 has been charged for hundreds of hours and performs like new. Lithium ion batteries don't suffer from the memory effect and can't be overcharged.
Charge away!

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Have you guys done this with your Note 4?

I have done it every night with every smartphone/PDA/laptop, for well over 15 years, with lithium batteries. It is fine and will not do harm.
In a perfect world, the battery would last longer if you could get it closer to 50%, and hold it there. But the phone does not do that, and you would only have 50% capacity in the morning, so what is the point.
Plug it in overnight, no harm.

The phone electronics are smart enough to not overcharge it. Because the battery can be removed, it also has the electronics in the battery pack itself to prevent overcharge damage. So it is double protected from overcharge, and over discharge.

The alternative is to leave the phone turned on and not on charge at night. The WILL cycle the battery and it WILL consume some of the limited number of battery cycles that you have. (these batteries are rated in cycles) That is goofy.
Or alternately, you can power off the phone over night. But then, that misses the point of why I have a phone. That is goofy.
So I leave mine ON, and PLUGGED IN. It has worked for way too many years and years and years on ALL of my lithium battery powered devices for anyone to tell me that it is the wrong thing to do.

I'll admit that I use an old slow charger for my overnight charging. No reason for me to 'rush' to 100%, and potentially generate heat, which is VERY bad for lithium batteries. So what if it takes 3 hours.

A number of devices instruct you to unplug them once they are fully charged. If you research it, that is typically a 'green energy' thing. They are trying to get you to save a few fractions of a watt hour. A noble thing indeed, but it isn't to promote battery life.

heathersimon

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Note 4's have fast charging. I thought it would have damaged my Note 4's battery.

Posted via the Android Central App

I use a slow charger when charging overnight and save the adaptive fast charging for when I really need it. But as others have said, the battery is replaceable, worst case.

brothamoveson

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I've let my galaxies charge overnight every night for years never had any battery issues. None to speak of so far with my Note 4.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
This is why I don't mind using the Qi charger by the bed at night. It is a slow charge relatively speaking. I have taken the Qi chargers apart and they have a but load of flat packs and chips in them to control charging. A bit of heat comes from the base unit though.

I have done it every night with every smartphone/PDA/laptop, for well over 15 years, with lithium batteries. It is fine and will not do harm.
In a perfect world, the battery would last longer if you could get it closer to 50%, and hold it there. But the phone does not do that, and you would only have 50% capacity in the morning, so what is the point.
Plug it in overnight, no harm.

The phone electronics are smart enough to not overcharge it. Because the battery can be removed, it also has the electronics in the battery pack itself to prevent overcharge damage. So it is double protected from overcharge, and over discharge.

The alternative is to leave the phone turned on and not on charge at night. The WILL cycle the battery and it WILL consume some of the limited number of battery cycles that you have. (these batteries are rated in cycles) That is goofy.
Or alternately, you can power off the phone over night. But then, that misses the point of why I have a phone. That is goofy.
So I leave mine ON, and PLUGGED IN. It has worked for way too many years and years and years on ALL of my lithium battery powered devices for anyone to tell me that it is the wrong thing to do.

I'll admit that I use an old slow charger for my overnight charging. No reason for me to 'rush' to 100%, and potentially generate heat, which is VERY bad for lithium batteries. So what if it takes 3 hours.

A number of devices instruct you to unplug them once they are fully charged. If you research it, that is typically a 'green energy' thing. They are trying to get you to save a few fractions of a watt hour. A noble thing indeed, but it isn't to promote battery life.

heathersimon

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
This is why I don't mind using the Qi charger by the bed at night. It is a slow charge relatively speaking. I have taken the Qi chargers apart and they have a but load of flat packs and chips in them to control charging. A bit of heat comes from the base unit though.

Heat's a big battery killer, though. I got turned off of Qi charging on my Lumia 920. The battery stopped charging past 60% within a matter of months.

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
If you read the label on the battery it say not to leave your phone overnight charged. Once your battery is charge the max to leave it on the plug is about an hour.

Amazing Verizon Galaxy Note 4

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Heat = bad for the battery.
This is the reason I don't even look at wireless chargers. they are inefficient and generate a lot of heat near the battery.
I'm good with pushing in a connector.

If you read the label on the battery it say not to leave your phone overnight charged. Once your battery is charge the max to leave it on the plug is about an hour.

And if you research it, the main reason for that is to save a few fractions of a watt of energy.

qbnkelt

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I've charged every single phone I've ever had overnight since the days of the Atrix, Samsung SG2, iPhone 4s.
I'm up to the Note 4, Lumia 1520, and the iPhone 6. Haven't ruined one battery or device yet by charging overnight.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

llfloyd79

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I too have charged all my phones over night. And I have had MANY phones...in my day. I never had a issue with the battery not holding a charge. But with that said I have never kept the same phone over a year either....so. I upgrade every yr. Sometimes twice a year, so even if there was a drop in how long my battery held a charge it was not noticeable at all for me.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
This is the reason I don't even look at wireless chargers. they are inefficient and generate a lot of heat near the battery.

And if you research it, the main reason for that is to save a few fractions of a watt of energy.

To each his own, but I have had not such issues with my Qi charging. Been using TYLT VU for well over a year and I have not noticed any impact on battery life. It maybe slightly warmer, but you have to generate some real heat before you are going to create a noticeable issue.

Maybe I am lazy, but it sure is nice to just put my phone down and have it top off for the night.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I have used the same Qi charger for my Note 2 for 2 years and since the beginning of my Note 4 and it is still going strong. It is cool to take it when I expect be away from power long enough I might need a charge. I have even charged my phone while in my pocket. You can even use wires if you want. The Note 4 and the charger are essentially the same size you know.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4196562

garakhan

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Leaving the charger on overnight WILL degrade lithium batteries. You all probably have noticed that battery doesn't last as long after couple of years. It is usually heat and overcharging deteriorating the lithium battery.

DO I always disconnect my phone overnight? No, I usually leave mine connected since it is only convenient time for me to charge my smartphone. I do notice the smart chargers are getting better and they tend to make batteries last longer.

More important question may be, what kind of chargers one uses with the lithium battery chemistry. There are numerous lithium battery types, LiIon, LiPolymer, LiMg, etc. Each lithium battery chemistry has different charging voltage and charging properties. If you want to be anal...

But, like many forumites have already mentioned, it seems it's OK to leave it connected to charger overnight. I do most of the time.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
???

I charge my phone every night through the night. It's my alarm clock.

What would make you think that charging your phone is bad for your phone?

It's probably not true any more, but there was definitely a time when overcharging your notebook could easily ruin its battery. Possibly the OP was thinking of this.

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

I didn't asked for any of that information but thank you. Also my comment didn't come with a question. If I wanted to further my research I would have.

Amazing Verizon Galaxy Note 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol