11-16-2016 11:13 PM
65 123
tools
    Have you guys done this with your Note 4?

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-23-2015 01:14 PM

I have a few times, it shouldn't be a problem, what are you concerned about?
    01-23-2015 01:16 PM

???

I charge my phone every night through the night. It's my alarm clock.

What would make you think that charging your phone is bad for your phone?
    mrsmoore78 and ToddK like this.
    01-23-2015 01:18 PM
    charging put battery at high voltage (4.2-4.3), so the shorter you charge it, the better.

However, since the battery is removable, you can always swap battery when it dies. So charging overnight is likely okay.
    01-23-2015 01:24 PM
    Note 4's have fast charging. I thought it would have damaged my Note 4's battery.

01-23-2015 01:24 PM
    All new phones and batteries have circuitry and electronics deigned to charge the battery efficiently and correctly with no risk of damage to the phone or battery. There is absolutely no risk in leaving the phone charge through the night. When would some of you expect people to charge their phones?
    01-23-2015 01:31 PM
    All new phones and batteries have circuitry and electronics deigned to charge the battery efficiently and correctly with no risk of damage to the phone or battery. There is absolutely no risk in leaving the phone charge through the night. When would some of you expect people to charge their phones?
    smart charge doesn't change the fact the battery is at high voltage.

I charge my phone when i get up in the morning, I let it sit an hr while I get coffee, get on computer to read news, check email etc.
    01-23-2015 01:39 PM
    smart charge doesn't change the fact the battery is at high voltage.

I charge my phone when i get up in the morning, I let it sit an hr while I get coffee, get on computer to read news, check email etc.
    It basically shuts off charging to the battery once it's fully charged so no "high voltage" is getting to the battery but I guess you can do whatever works for you. I just don't like myths being spread unnecessarily.
    01-23-2015 02:30 PM

Every night.
    ehstaley, scassel, bdgriff and 1 others like this.
    01-23-2015 02:37 PM
    It basically shuts off charging to the battery once it's fully charged so no "high voltage" is getting to the battery but I guess you can do whatever works for you. I just don't like myths being spread unnecessarily.
    lol, funny you make such statement. You may want to install any battery monitoring app and check the battery's voltage. It is 4.2v at 100%.

Let me rephrase so its clearer, when you keep your phone on the charger after fully charged, it stays at 100% charge level, which is at a voltage of 4.2 v. For Li-ion batteries, thats high voltage that stresses the battery.

It's not "what works" for anybody, and it is not nice to freely accuse people "spreading myth".

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    01-23-2015 02:41 PM
    Every night, all night for me as well.
    01-23-2015 02:44 PM
    I say charge the thing how you want to. If the battery begins to act up buy a new one, it is a $700+ phone. To be worried about spending $30 on a new battery seem silly. It cost twice that to put gas in your car and that won't last near as long as a single battery in your phone. Think about it.
    ehstaley and bdgriff like this.
    01-23-2015 02:47 PM
    Every night, all night for me as well.
    Me too. And I won't lose a wink of sleep about my battery.
    carlos12001 and rvhs03 like this.
    01-23-2015 03:11 PM
    This ⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆

All night, every night. If you are worried about this, you need something else to worry about 😆

01-23-2015 03:46 PM
    Every night. On fast charge too. It's a dang battery. Whoopdeedoo

Posted via Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    sforsyth01 and carlos12001 like this.
    01-23-2015 03:48 PM
    FYI, you can turn fast charging off in the settings.
    mayconvert likes this.
    01-23-2015 04:13 PM
    lol, funny you make such statement. You may want to install any battery monitoring app and check the battery's voltage. It is 4.2v at 100%.

Let me rephrase so its clearer, when you keep your phone on the charger after fully charged, it stays at 100% charge level, which is at a voltage of 4.2 v. For Li-ion batteries, thats high voltage that stresses the battery.

It's not "what works" for anybody, and it is not nice to freely accuse people "spreading myth".

I charged my S3 overnight, every night for over 2 years. My original battery is still going strong. Do you have real world proof or just internet anecdotal proof?

Myth indeed.
    01-23-2015 04:21 PM
    Ok so here is the BEEF! I attached a couple electrodes to the battery terminals of my Note 4. They are the tiny aluminum foil strips that sneak under the battery and out around the wireless charging pad. I measured the voltage and they are as follows:

So I left my Note 4 charging overnight.-charg-note.jpg

I say spend the $30 when the battery goes bad.
    01-23-2015 05:25 PM
    I do this every night since day one and the battery runs as good as day one.

I am in the process of making my Note 4 self aware.
    01-23-2015 05:55 PM
    I charged my S3 overnight, every night for over 2 years. My original battery is still going strong. Do you have real world proof or just internet anecdotal proof?

Myth indeed.
    Same here, also did the same with my old htc evo.. I also do the same thing with my dewalt drill batteries which cost way more than my note 4's
    01-23-2015 06:02 PM

99.99% of all battery charging circuits taper off charging as the battery gets charged. There is no overcharging or stress on the battery once the battery is fully charged because the charger is no longer supplying current to the battery. It's a built safety feature of battery chargers. Sheesh!
    Bizzle69 and ToddK like this.
    01-23-2015 06:12 PM
    Agreed that there's no problem at all. Like someone else said, my old S3 has been charged for hundreds of hours and performs like new. Lithium ion batteries don't suffer from the memory effect and can't be overcharged.
    Charge away!
    01-23-2015 06:42 PM
    I have done it every night with every smartphone/PDA/laptop, for well over 15 years, with lithium batteries. It is fine and will not do harm.
    In a perfect world, the battery would last longer if you could get it closer to 50%, and hold it there. But the phone does not do that, and you would only have 50% capacity in the morning, so what is the point.
    Plug it in overnight, no harm.

The phone electronics are smart enough to not overcharge it. Because the battery can be removed, it also has the electronics in the battery pack itself to prevent overcharge damage. So it is double protected from overcharge, and over discharge.

The alternative is to leave the phone turned on and not on charge at night. The WILL cycle the battery and it WILL consume some of the limited number of battery cycles that you have. (these batteries are rated in cycles) That is goofy.
    Or alternately, you can power off the phone over night. But then, that misses the point of why I have a phone. That is goofy.
    So I leave mine ON, and PLUGGED IN. It has worked for way too many years and years and years on ALL of my lithium battery powered devices for anyone to tell me that it is the wrong thing to do.

I'll admit that I use an old slow charger for my overnight charging. No reason for me to 'rush' to 100%, and potentially generate heat, which is VERY bad for lithium batteries. So what if it takes 3 hours.

A number of devices instruct you to unplug them once they are fully charged. If you research it, that is typically a 'green energy' thing. They are trying to get you to save a few fractions of a watt hour. A noble thing indeed, but it isn't to promote battery life.
    heathersimon likes this.
    01-23-2015 08:46 PM
    FYI, you can turn fast charging off in the settings.
    THIS^^
    01-23-2015 08:46 PM
    Note 4's have fast charging. I thought it would have damaged my Note 4's battery.

I use a slow charger when charging overnight and save the adaptive fast charging for when I really need it. But as others have said, the battery is replaceable, worst case.
    01-23-2015 09:03 PM
65 123