fast charge = faster drain?

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
With all the battery posts on here i almost hated to post this question, but i couldn't find an answer.
Does using the fast charge make the battery drain faster as opposed to letting the phone fully charge at normal speed?

I usually charge while i am sleeping, and i am not having battery issues, but since i work long shifts i do what i can to get the most out of the battery w out disabling all the things that make the note4 great. So i wondered if letting it charge with the fast mode disabled makes any difference.

I usually only charge the phone when i have time to let it fully charge, and so far ive only used the charger that came with it.

Thanx, and sorry again for another battery post lol

Verizon Note4 w/ Tech 21 case

rvhs03

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
With all the battery posts on here i almost hated to post this question, but i couldn't find an answer.
Does using the fast charge make the battery drain faster as opposed to letting the phone fully charge at normal speed?

I usually charge while i am sleeping, and i am not having battery issues, but since i work long shifts i do what i can to get the most out of the battery w out disabling all the things that make the note4 great. So i wondered if letting it charge with the fast mode disabled makes any difference.

I usually only charge the phone when i have time to let it fully charge, and so far ive only used the charger that came with it.

Thanx, and sorry again for another battery post lol

Verizon Note4 w/ Tech 21 case

I use regular charging mode overnight and top off late afternoon on fast charge. Haven't noticed a difference in drain either way. 6 hrs SOT easy.

Posted via MY Note 4

heathersimon

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Quick charging just supplies the charging mechanism for the battery with more power, it doesn't change the way the battery itself works or how the power is stored in the cells. It also doesn't change the way the power discharges from the battery.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
From a physics standpoint the two charging methods re-supply essentially the same number of electrons to the battery. They just do it in two different ways using changes in voltage and current. You really should experience the same battery usage results from both.

Jmho.

toddbigeasy

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
that makes sense, but.... when I used fast charge yesterday, it drained MUCH faster than the 3 previous days since I have my new s7Edge, using overnight wireless charging. It dropped 25% within 2 hours, and the previous days it lasted over 24 hours with 12% left. I was completely perplexed.

Ellsbellsnc

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
that makes sense, but.... when I used fast charge yesterday, it drained MUCH faster than the 3 previous days since I have my new s7Edge, using overnight wireless charging. It dropped 25% within 2 hours, and the previous days it lasted over 24 hours with 12% left. I was completely perplexed.

I'm having the same problem with my Galaxy Note 4. For the first 8 months or so that I had it, the battery would usually get through the day without boosting and I'd just charge it overnight. Around the same time I got one of those fast chargers, the battery started drainng way more quickly, and I'll have to charge it up twice to get through a day. Plus I've learned that if I get down to 30%, forget it, because within a matter of two minutes it'll drop into the teens, then 0% and shut itself off. Wth?

Silvercorvette

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I have been having battery issues that started about the same time as the latest update. It was working fine on fast charge for about 2 years. I had something strange happen that may be related to a software update, The battery would get to 36^ and then it would die. I also had some other problems I ignored because I was biding my time till the note 7 was released. It should show up at my house in the mail in a few hours and I am returning the note 4 to get a credit. I'll let AT&T fix it

j61101

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I have found that fast charge on my S7 = fast drain. I have seen this concept in every device that i use. I have a 2.5A charger and a 700 mA charger. I always get better battery life if i use the 700 mA charger. In my experience, slower charge = slower drain.
Its kind of like rain. If you have a really hard rain, it will surly saturate the soil very quickly but, the soil dries out quickly due to run off. If you have a long steady rain, the soil will stay saturated for longer because more of the dirt was able to absorb the water instead of just having it run off. (Try it with some plants and see the effects :) )

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I haven't noticed this at all on my Note Edge, Note 4, Note 5 and two S7 Edge phones. I fast charge every time and the battery lasts just as long as it did when I first charged these phones. I still have all of them and keep them charged at all times. I have fine lines on T-Mobile so they get used.