12-29-2016 05:01 PM
79 1234
tools
    I disagree with your senerio. If I say, OK Google, then I'm giving that app permission to do what's it's supposed to. Each time I use what ever feature, I'm giving it permission to operate. The permission description indicates that it's being done without your consent. That is completely different.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    Sorry, but without the permissions, what would happen is you would press the button to bring up Google Now, say "OK Google", then another popup would ask "Do you want Google Now to have access to the microphone" and need a response from you. Or you'd open up Goggles and it would ask "Do you want Goggles to have access to the Camera" and need a response from you. Every. Single. Time.

And, you know something like "OK Google" doesn't work without an internet connection, right? Turn on airplane mode and try to use it. The mic is 'recording' what you're saying to transmit it to the OK Google server so you can get your reply. Again, without the permission it has, every single time you tried using OK Google, it would need a confirmation box asking if you wanted to let it have access to the microphone.

So, none of these permissions are in any way out of the ordinary. There's no conspiracy here, as much as people love them. If the permissions are too onerous, perhaps again, these types of phones aren't right for you.
    Dial square and kct1975 like this.
    01-27-2015 10:47 PM
    Technically, if you're using the phone, when you first agree to terms & conditions you're giving the phone permission to operate. You agree to permissions when you install an app, so it's the permission wording that's off. To record audio without
    your "confirmation" is different than "consent". So, there's no need to give it permission each time you want to use speech recognition functions.

01-28-2015 05:56 AM
    I checked the app, Sound Detectors, using App Ops and it shows, on my Note 4, Sound detector has never recorded audio, nor has it used the camera.

01-28-2015 06:49 AM

So, none of these permissions are in any way out of the ordinary. There's no conspiracy here, as much as people love them. If the permissions are too onerous, perhaps again, these types of phones aren't right for you.
    Never said there was a conspiracy. Only pointed out the fact that I couldn't disable apps and it seemed suspicious to me. Then the permission discription looked suspicious as well. The conclusion is it looks like they are part of background activity and are components that apps use. I'm guessing that's why I couldn't disable them. I also used AppOps to check permissions and found it also lists the last time an app used each permission. I couldn't check IMSLogger+ because I had already uninstalled it.

Is this phone for me? Damn straight it is... and besides, I've paid to much for it to not be for me.

01-28-2015 08:30 AM
    It really doesn't seem like a legal application you could load on a phone that you can't turn off. If you can't get a legitimate answer on this application, I would take it the FCC and see what they have to say about it.
    These programs are exactly why people root their device. Even with a risk of tripping Knox - many users just don't want junk running in the background constantly. It's a shame manufacturers expect you to accept junkware that nobody would otherwise want to use and that just eats up memory.
    palandri, kct1975 and UniQue WerkX like this.
    01-28-2015 03:05 PM
    Tin would be more expensive but last longer.
    carlos12001 likes this.
    01-28-2015 04:42 PM
    I think you did not follow my point.

Could you give me a real world example of one of your apps recording audio or video without your consent. As I stated above, I'm willing to bet no such thing exists and that any recording done, indirectly or otherwise was a choice you made
    The only way that I know of is to use AppOps. It tells you when the app last used any permissions. As shown earlier, Sound detector hadn't recorded any audio on my Note 4 since I bought it back in October.

Has any app recorded audio and video without your consent.... I don't know for sure but you might ask the NSA, U.S. law enforcement, new version of the KGB etc.... LOL

01-28-2015 07:26 PM
    I checked the app, Sound Detectors, using App Ops and it shows, on my Note 4, Sound detector has never recorded audio, nor has it used the camera.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15...71fd841c6b.jpg

You're in settings and you're getting an Amazon ad at the bottom of your screen? Am I seeing that right?
    01-29-2015 07:08 AM
    You're in settings and you're getting an Amazon ad at the bottom of your screen? Am I seeing that right?
    What you're seeing is an app called AppOps. However, I am looking for a good ad block app.

palandri and kct1975 like this.
    01-29-2015 07:40 AM
    Try Firefox browser with Adblock addon.
    01-29-2015 11:28 AM
    Try Firefox browser with Adblock addon.
    I do use Firefox with ad block plus. It's quite slooooow some times and hangs. There's also bluhell ad blocker. However, the ones I'm talking about block all ads on your device. Thanks for reply!

Just remembered Ad block plus has an apk for that.... and it's working pretty good.

01-29-2015 04:12 PM
    If you are rooted and have ROM Toolbox Pro, you can go into App Settings and long press on system apps and some have very intrusive abilities like being able to access your emails and the emails of the people who you have sent them to and far worse
    UniQue WerkX likes this.
    02-03-2015 05:06 AM
    I have several screenshots that I am trying to post but I am unable to get them to upload. Look into s9me of the "test" system apps. If your phone is asleep, it can be woken up, screen unlocked, speakerphones activated and audio recorded all by remote and its apparently legal. So is altering emails and calendar events
    UniQue WerkX likes this.
    02-03-2015 05:13 AM
    Is DT Ignite on iPhone also?

Posted via the Android Central App
    Nope. Not on my beautiful white Note 4 either.
    I'm on AT&T.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    02-04-2015 03:56 AM
    Interesting article of some possible relevance. Note that it says that security programs like Lookout will fix the problem.

Google Pulls Sketchy Android Apps -- But Not Before Millions Downloaded Them
    02-05-2015 05:37 AM
    Ha ha yeah..... now this is Samsung TV but it still makes you wonder.

" Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party through your use of Voice Recognition. "

http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/08/telescreen/

palandri, Carrtman and kct1975 like this.
    02-08-2015 08:56 PM
    Ha ha yeah..... now this is Samsung TV but it still makes you wonder.

" Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party through your use of Voice Recognition. "

http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/08/telescreen/

That's scary the reason why my new TV will never be connected to the Internet and without connecting it there is no spy option.

Just freezed the sound app and removed all permissions with xprivacy pro.

As far as that DT app in Austria such an app would never make in the phone because carriers would get sued left and right. I would definitely ask the FTCC about that.
    kct1975 likes this.
    02-09-2015 12:44 AM
    u cant do anything without u root your device 😪😪😪😪😪
    02-11-2015 09:05 AM
    Samsung hell yeah.
    02-11-2015 10:02 PM
    Suddenly the last couple days.... When I unlock my phone Ads are popping up! I have no idea what has created this all of a sudden.... Any help would be appreciated!
    Also here are a couple things running in the app manager that I'm not sure if they should be there or not. I have no idea what that Ant update is as it is not an app listed in my apps on my phone, yet shows in my update list?
    Attached Thumbnails Suspicious Apps You Can't Turn Off-1423840161208.jpg   Suspicious Apps You Can't Turn Off-1423840172616.jpg   Suspicious Apps You Can't Turn Off-1423840193465.jpg  
    02-13-2015 09:10 AM
    They are all part of your phone. Ant is part of S health. Quick connect is part of touchwiz i think

Posted via the Android Central App
    GregMargie likes this.
    02-15-2015 02:11 PM
    02-15-2015 02:53 PM
    go into your settings and find your apps list then click the app and read about it. almost all apps now have access to your camera, can record, can delete and alter content of texts and email!

» Smartphone Apps Now Use Microphone to Record Your Conversations Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

welcome to the computer world!!
    UniQue WerkX and kct1975 like this.
    02-16-2015 10:57 AM
    they get around that by putting it in the user agreement,so if you don't want this to happen, don't use the app. most will have this ,so it is a no win situation.
    kct1975 likes this.
    02-16-2015 11:00 AM
    I never turn on the wifi long enough for my Samsung Galaxy S5 Active to update all of the crap that can only be updated via the wifi, but recently we had a miscommunication with our carrier and our service was temporarily interrupted. . The only way to connect to anything was with our house wifi, and in the process it updated as much as it possibly could until service was restored, and now all of a sudden I have this "baby crying detector" app on here, with no way to shut it off or Uninstall... I'm pretty paranoid about whether or not these apps are spying on us to begin with, but this has pushed me over the edge..
    05-15-2016 10:44 AM
79 1234