Suspicious Apps You Can't Turn Off

UniQue WerkX

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
And if the app (like Chrome) needed your confirmation every time you wanted to use 'Ok google' or use something like Goggles to snap a QR code, there'd be a huge uproar about how Android is unusable because of pop up dialogues for every action (just like what happened with Vista). Honestly, there's no huge conspiracy here. It's just how the apps need the phone devices (like the mic or camera) to do their jobs.

I'm not sure a smartphone (any smartphone) is right for you if you're that concerned about permissions that are necessary to make apps actually do what they're advertised to do. Maybe a different type of phone might be better.
I disagree with your senerio. If I say, OK Google, then I'm giving that app permission to do what's it's supposed to. Each time I use what ever feature, I'm giving it permission to operate. The permission description indicates that it's being done without your consent. That is completely different.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Call me crazy but I don't like the idea of apps being able to record audio or video unless I'm the one doing it. I live a dull life but I still want privacy to live my boring life. Online privacy and offline privacy.... where do you draw the line?

sometimes conversations about these permissions become overly anxious IMHO. I'm willing to bet that if you investigate, you'll find some reasons for why they needed it --or thought they did--related to a service they perform. If it is an app like Chrome, I'm simply not concerned that they ask for audio and video permission.

But granting that some permissions are badly written or technically overbroad--some lawyer covering his rear--with all the scare scenarios people post, I'd bet you cannot find a single instance of, say, Chrome, doing audio and video recording unrelated to its ability to perform some function you enabled, directly or indirectly.

And to go further, I guarantee that if for no reason relating to the function of the app and a choice you made implicitly or otherwise, it starts videotaping you in the bedroom and uploading it somewhere and the developer claims you consented to that because of overbroad permissions, you'll win the court case.

UniQue WerkX

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
If these apps are recording audio and video without the users consent, then how are they any different than the NSA or any other government spy agency?

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
If these apps are recording audio and video without the users consent, then how are they any different than the NSA or any other government spy agency?

I think you did not follow my point.

Could you give me a real world example of one of your apps recording audio or video without your consent. As I stated above, I'm willing to bet no such thing exists and that any recording done, indirectly or otherwise was a choice you made

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
There's a difference between listening and recording. Listening for "Ok, Google" doesn't mean it is recording a single sound. It is waiting to hear the command to perform an action you desire.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed since the Google search bar has changed to solid white, the microphone symbol is flashing (listening) when swiping between screens. :p

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I disagree with your senerio. If I say, OK Google, then I'm giving that app permission to do what's it's supposed to. Each time I use what ever feature, I'm giving it permission to operate. The permission description indicates that it's being done without your consent. That is completely different.

As I said that is just the description for the Microphone from Android. It does NOT mean the app is going to do it --- That just isn't the case. It is just saying with that permission they could .. it doesn't say they are. Malicious apps of course will take advantage and are more likely to take advantage of having this permission... but something like a well known app (Chrome, twitter, etc.) I doubt they would risk annoying their users by invading their privacy.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

Sorry, but without the permissions, what would happen is you would press the button to bring up Google Now, say "OK Google", then another popup would ask "Do you want Google Now to have access to the microphone" and need a response from you. Or you'd open up Goggles and it would ask "Do you want Goggles to have access to the Camera" and need a response from you. Every. Single. Time.

And, you know something like "OK Google" doesn't work without an internet connection, right? Turn on airplane mode and try to use it. The mic is 'recording' what you're saying to transmit it to the OK Google server so you can get your reply. Again, without the permission it has, every single time you tried using OK Google, it would need a confirmation box asking if you wanted to let it have access to the microphone.

So, none of these permissions are in any way out of the ordinary. There's no conspiracy here, as much as people love them. If the permissions are too onerous, perhaps again, these types of phones aren't right for you.

UniQue WerkX

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Technically, if you're using the phone, when you first agree to terms & conditions you're giving the phone permission to operate. You agree to permissions when you install an app, so it's the permission wording that's off. To record audio without
your "confirmation" is different than "consent". So, there's no need to give it permission each time you want to use speech recognition functions.

UniQue WerkX

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I checked the app, Sound Detectors, using App Ops and it shows, on my Note 4, Sound detector has never recorded audio, nor has it used the camera.

f8aaaa43d239af9bfe3bb571fd841c6b.jpg

UniQue WerkX

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
So, none of these permissions are in any way out of the ordinary. There's no conspiracy here, as much as people love them. If the permissions are too onerous, perhaps again, these types of phones aren't right for you.

Never said there was a conspiracy. Only pointed out the fact that I couldn't disable apps and it seemed suspicious to me. Then the permission discription looked suspicious as well. The conclusion is it looks like they are part of background activity and are components that apps use. I'm guessing that's why I couldn't disable them. I also used AppOps to check permissions and found it also lists the last time an app used each permission. I couldn't check IMSLogger+ because I had already uninstalled it.

Is this phone for me? Damn straight it is... and besides, I've paid to much for it to not be for me.

hillesq

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
It really doesn't seem like a legal application you could load on a phone that you can't turn off. If you can't get a legitimate answer on this application, I would take it the FCC and see what they have to say about it.
These programs are exactly why people root their device. Even with a risk of tripping Knox - many users just don't want junk running in the background constantly. It's a shame manufacturers expect you to accept junkware that nobody would otherwise want to use and that just eats up memory.

UniQue WerkX

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I think you did not follow my point.

Could you give me a real world example of one of your apps recording audio or video without your consent. As I stated above, I'm willing to bet no such thing exists and that any recording done, indirectly or otherwise was a choice you made

The only way that I know of is to use AppOps. It tells you when the app last used any permissions. As shown earlier, Sound detector hadn't recorded any audio on my Note 4 since I bought it back in October.

Has any app recorded audio and video without your consent.... I don't know for sure but you might ask the NSA, U.S. law enforcement, new version of the KGB etc.... LOL

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish