Close-up pictures suck?

Amb312

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
98a91555ed4c24c112d396207aa54361.jpg

This guy was about 3 inches from my face when I took this.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
It actually takes very nice closeups - you have to do 3 things:

1) Be no closer than the closest focusing distance (about 2 1/2 inches)
2) Hold the camera VERY steady
3) Press the screen where you want to focus and HOLD your finger there until you take the picture (this locks the focus) - just make sure you don't move the camera while focus is locked, as the depth of field (how much depth of the image is in focus) is VERY small with close-ups (maybe 1/8 of an inch or less).
20150126_231201.jpg

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
So after scanning through a pretty good selection of Note 4 pictures f2.2 rear camera and f1.9 front camera is all there was. The camera appears to only change ISO and shutter speed for correct exposure. Aperture does not seem to be adjustable.

Where did you get f4.5?

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
So after scanning through a pretty good selection of Note 4 pictures f2.2 rear camera and f1.9 front camera is all there was. The camera appears to only change ISO and shutter speed for correct exposure. Aperture does not seem to be adjustable.

Where did you get f4.5?

The Nokia N86 had variable aperture a few years ago but later dropped it (I believe). Looks like the Huawei Honor 6 is the only one available now:

Huawei Honor 6 Plus first camera samples: see the output from the world's first variable aperture cameraphone

The problem with true variable aperture is that it is mechanical and adds size and complexity. Manufacturers handle the light issue with software but the depth of field limitation remains.

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Unlike my S3 which had a macro mode, the Note4 doesn't have one - it just focuses close by default. Would like to see less default sharpening.
Bee on Chrysanthemum.jpg

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah...I'm wondering about that too. Mine's at a constant f/2.2.

A variable aperture makes no sense on a camera phone. With a tiny sensor, the lens focal length is very short. The focal length of the Note 4 lens is only 4.8 mm (35mm equivalent: 31mm), thus, almost everything in most scenes will appear to be in focus. Stopping the lens down to something smaller than f2.2 wouldn't accomplish much in terms of depth-of-field, but would require a slower shutter speed - and slow shutter speeds are the cause of most bad images on consumer cameras.

So, it makes sense to have a fixed aperture.

CNTSTPDRMN

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
The note 4 can take some amazing pix... Took this cat pic... I always hold my breath when taking photos to minimize shake.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 20150125_090455.jpg
    20150125_090455.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 31

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
bertsirkin, have you used or know anyone that uses a telephoto or wide angle lens attachment for their Note 4? I have shot through the eye piece of my f10 2000mm SCT using a 18mm wide field eyepiece with quite good results. At just over 110X magnification, terrestrial observing is a bit challenging. I could probably use a .67 focal reducer and field flattener to get down to just over 50X but would like to use a adapted zoom lens from one of my SLRs instead. I have also shot using the Note 4 through some of my stereo microscope eyepieces but image crop down to about 30% is typical. It is a bit off topic, but thought I would ask you about it.

You are right that really does not make any sense to put a variable aperture in a 4.8mm lens.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Where did you get f4.5?

I appreciate you correcting me. In fact the Note 4 camera does have an aperture of f2.2 as you correctly pointed out. I confused the Note 4 camera aperture with the aperture of a pocket Nikon camera I also use often for close-up photos of fishing flies I tie.

sel1965

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm simply amazed at this camera and pictures I have been getting. I came from the an iphone 6 by the way. Not the plus. So far the note 4 has surpassed all my expectations.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I think we all intimidated the OP, as he/she hasn't chimed in since originally posting! I think the title of this post should be changed to "Close up pictures are Awesome"

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I think we all intimidated the OP, as he/she hasn't chimed in since originally posting! I think the title of this post should be changed to "Close up pictures are Awesome"

The question is, what did the OP mean by "very close focusing"? How close is his close?

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate you correcting me. In fact the Note 4 camera does have an aperture of f2.2 as you correctly pointed out. I confused the Note 4 camera aperture with the aperture of a pocket Nikon camera I also use often for close-up photos of fishing flies I tie.

I used to tie flies when I was younger. Now that I live on the lower Blue River in Colorado I should take it back up. Seems like I am to busy chasing Lake Trout to go down stream and chase the Rainbows.

Rmbrown1964

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
This is my close up from about 6 inches away

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 20150127_174410.jpg
    20150127_174410.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 32

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
OP please post some examples of what you consider bad close up photos.

My experience with the Note 4 is that it takes outstanding close up pictures. Especially when you take the time to set the shot up properly.

Low light motion shots without flash are about the only area where the camera struggles.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Oh the pics turn out great!!!! Just a little slow to focus.
By the way you made my mouth water with that pic.
Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

I know what you mean about slow to focus. Sometimes I'll be watching TV in my living room and the only light in the room is coming from the TV and a small lamp across the room. If I'm trying to take a pic of my cat, for example, and the picture on my TV keeps going from light to dark, my camera will refocus like crazy.

I also need to try downloading that sports mode for taking pics of my little nephew. He's always moving around!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech