I've seen updates for note 4 with the new CyanogenMod 12 are you planning on doing it?
    01-27-2015 01:29 PM
    No, I won't be rooting/ROM'ing this device though I've done it with others - just don't see a need to with the Note 4 because the stock performance is so good.
    llfloyd79 and Nitro211K like this.
    01-27-2015 02:08 PM
    I rooted first day I got the phone. I probably won't install CM12 until it's stable. Also, I'm on Fire Kat V7 and loving it. Don't want to mess with the phone since it's perfect.
    01-27-2015 06:18 PM
    Does the spen work with firecat? Thought about flashing it but didn't know what all functionality I would lose.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-27-2015 06:44 PM
    Yes, everything works. It's a modified stock rom for speed and battery life.
    01-27-2015 06:57 PM
    How will CM12 work with the s-pen? I can't see it using it at all as it's not written for the note series.
    01-27-2015 08:55 PM
    How will CM12 work with the s-pen? I can't see it using it at all as it's not written for the note series.
    you will lose all functionalities with CM roms. or you will have to install third party apps but in my experiance they never work properly..
    i love CM but i think i will pass it with this phone
    01-28-2015 07:12 AM
    you will lose all functionalities with CM roms. or you will have to install third party apps but in my experiance they never work properly..
    i love CM but i think i will pass it with this phone
    Just as I thought. I fail to see the point then. People wanting this should have just bought the Nexus 6 in the first place.
    sicunder36 and BullGuard8 like this.
    01-28-2015 09:27 AM
    Just as I thought. I fail to see the point then. People wanting this should have just bought the Nexus 6 in the first place.
    Exactly. It is fast hell yeah cm is. But whats the point if u lose all the cool things about ur phone
    sicunder36 likes this.
    01-28-2015 12:02 PM
    I have never rooted a phone and honestly don't see the need to.

01-28-2015 12:13 PM
    Wel i got to say i rooted every other phone.. custom roms are better in some was but there allways Will be bugs and I don't want to lose all data everytime there is an update
    sicunder36 likes this.
    01-28-2015 12:33 PM
    No , I need KNOX

01-28-2015 01:16 PM
    Rooting is probably a good idea, but to loose the samsubg camera app and s own support is a ground breaker for installing another custom rom.
    I had cm on every other phone, I'll give it a year... maybe less, before deciding... i miss 5.0 though.
    03-03-2015 06:39 AM
    i know i sayd earlyer that i would not install it..

caught myself !
    i did installed it this morning.
    i will have to use it for a few days to really know if i will stick with it.

i lost the s-pen possibilities, but i never really used it so i can live with that.
    the IR blaster still works with the stock samsung smart remote app so im happy with that, it was the only special feature i used.
    the phone is much faster !
    i cant really tell something about the battery life just yet, becouse my phone is still getting used to this rom so it takes a few days.
    the user interface is 10 times better then touchwiz, i never liked touchewiz.

the giant bummer with cyanogenmod is the camera.. and it allways will be !
    we have a great camera on the note4, but cyanogenmod breaks it.

this could be a reason for me to flash back to stock rom or a samsung based custom rom.

but for now i will keep cm12 for a few days to see if i will keep it.
    i tought i should post this here for the people that are still concidering of installing it, its worth to do it just to see how things Can be.
    03-17-2015 09:23 AM
    Thanks for the info. I was debating doing the same. I guess I'll stick with the stock rom until Rogers releases 5.0.2 sin the coming weeks (sometime in April)
    Thanks again
    04-07-2015 10:42 AM
    I've just installed about an hour ago. And I must say it is smooth, zero lag and error-free. And like most people said, losing the Note 4 Camera sucks. The Camera that it comes with won't even let you save to your SD card or disable the shutter sound. I've installed Open Camera and it's pretty alright. Does anyone know of a better camera app? Anyway, I'm gonna use this for a while and see if I can live without the Note 4 default camera.
    04-25-2015 05:20 PM
    The Note 4 is a different beast. The S pen and camera are too good to give up. I really don't see the need to install custom roms. Just shows you don't like the phone as is. So why buy the phone if the first thing you need to do is change everything on it. It also amuses me how people claim to love "stock" android on the Nexus, yet they too can't wait to install the latest CM. So Much for "stock" android huh
    PookiePrancer and sicunder36 like this.
    04-25-2015 05:59 PM
    I've just installed about an hour ago. And I must say it is smooth, zero lag and error-free. And like most people said, losing the Note 4 Camera sucks. The Camera that it comes with won't even let you save to your SD card or disable the shutter sound. I've installed Open Camera and it's pretty alright. Does anyone know of a better camera app? Anyway, I'm gonna use this for a while and see if I can live without the Note 4 default camera.
    Install FV-5 Camera for Photos and Snap Camera for 4k videos !
    its allright.

i liked CM12 but last week i was in a hurry and when i got in my car my phone got suck in a bootloop !! it was bug free and i loved it but after that i got back to stock. no more custom roms for me.. behh!
    05-11-2015 05:14 AM
    I would love to.

But i simply can't because i need the S-Pen.. I use it a lot and so far I haven't found a 3rd Party App that gives me many features to use with the pen =/
    05-11-2015 05:40 AM
    I am using CM on my Nexus 4, and I love it. On my Note 4 though... NEVER. TouchWiz may have its bad bits and pieces, bit what counts is the overall performance. CM doesn't let you use the S-Pen like TouchWiz does, you don't get stuff like Multi Window, Download Booster and all the other goodies. I didn't even root my Note, because I loved it out of the box.

05-11-2015 12:33 PM
    I finally Rooted and ROMed with CM 12.1 - The reason? App-switching lag. It drives me nuts that a brand new phone with a processor better than most laptops and 3GB of RAM has *any* app lag, much less 2 seconds or more (it's embarrassing, really). I got sick of it, so I finally did it. Here is my experience:

What works (or seems to)
    1. sPen works just fine for 3rd party apps, even the pressure sensitivity works (I use Clover Paint for illustration work, which is my main reason for wanting a Note in the first place) there is no configuration needed, it just works. If you were expecing something to happen when you click the pen button, that's all Samsung stuff, but if you have a program that uses the buttons (like Clover Paint), it works just fine, and both buttons work as they should.
    2. Camera works fine (not the Samsung one, but I actually find Open Camera much more useful (I take some of my company's product photography with it, and being able to lock the exposure and focus is awesome. I do miss the voice-activated shutter though.
    3. Everything is faster, and there is almost no lag in app switching, which was my biggest gripe about Touchwiz, though I'm not a fan of their bright teal notification center colour that you can't change.
    4. Bluetooth, Wifi, phone service, etc. they all work.

What doesn't work as well:
    1. Fast charging with the original fast-charge Samsung charger heats up the phone more than it did before. I can only assume it's software regulated. I now use a regular charger instead, to prolong the over-all life of the phone.
    2. Wireless tethering is a nightmare to get working. It sucks. Aside from the fact that it's removed from the notification options and you again have to dig through settings for it, it shows that it's on and does not show up on any of the devices I have. There is also no notification that it is turned on in the notifications panel until it's connected to something. It doesn't work very well.
    3. Battery drain - Things seem to drink more power. Google play services flashed with the latest GAPPS (nano) used up 35% of my remaining battery tonight, and there didn't even seem to be any updating going on.
    4.Camera makes the phone heat up much faster than the stock camera. I also found that the camera apps would sit in memory and continue to drink battery, so make sure you properly close them down after use. You will notice because your phone will be quite warm.
    5.No ultra power saving mode. Not that I ever used it really, but still, have to find a 3rd party app that does it, if you want it.
    6.Waking the device seems to be taking longer about a second to wake. There was no lag on Samsung's rom. It's kind of anoying, but not nearly as much as the app-switching lag, so over-all I'm "satisfied".
    7.The one feature worth anything for me was the screen-capture to text feature contained in Smart-Select in Samsung's stuff. That's gone too, and I do miss it.
    8.I occasionally used the pop-up sticky notes, but found they took a long time to launch, and the interface is ****-poor for anything more than a quick scribble (even lacking an undo button!). So it's only something I miss a little bit.

Cool stuff that you get with CM12 include multiple users on your phone (finally!)
    Everything that comes with Lollipop, so Samsung has not crippled anything with KNOX, or outright removed it from menus or burried it so deep in settings you'll never find it. It's fast... really fast. Websites that made chrome browser hang for a second or two are now much smoother (though Chrome is still a big bag of wank compared to the smoothness of Safari, so ymmv. That's more Google's fault than Samsung's, and both companies need to whip out the butter and try again, imho. Still, it's faster with CM12, and Chrome gives you all the comforts of home on your mobile, so it's not all bad news. Also, screen-recording apps work 1000% better on CM12 than Touchwiz, so I may finally be able to do some proper Clover Paint tutorials.

There are also 3rd party apps that will give you multiwindow, etc, but it's always been a bit of a faff with such a small screen. The second you have to bring up a keyboard to type anything, it all goes to hell, and iPhone users (and other Android users) will rightly smirk at you for trying to show it off, and failing to do anything at all useful with it... because it's ****... I mean clearly ****. lol
    Floating apps work as you would expect and seem to be a bit more on the useful side (I watch movies while drawing sometimes).

This may be my last Samsung product however. I'm just really tired of shelling out heaps of money for a second-rate user experience. There's no excuse for it after all these years. Samsung need to stop pretending like Tizen is a thing, and concentrate on their Android experience. I'll be happy to save the money, and proper tablet computers are getting cheaper, and may be better for drawing anyway. I'll skip the Note 5 entirely, and see what the 6 is all about. If there is still app-switching lag and unchangeable infant-pleasing teal all over the UI at that point, I'll go with a Nexus phone, or maybe even an Ubuntu phone (if it's any good by then), and forget about drawing on anything but a proper tablet computer.

I tried to like Samsung's sNote software but it's so horrendously slow, and drinks battery far more than it should. They keep adding features to it, and never address the fact that it's too damn slow.

TLDR: I love the hardware, hate hate hate the software. Clover Paint and CM12 are the only things that makes the Note 4 worth anything for me.
    It's not without trade-offs, and honestly, I feel like Samsung owes me a bit of a refund (hundred quid or so) for the trouble of having to make the phone they sold me work as smoothly as a modern flagship smartphone should. The camera still lags terribly, even under CM12, which makes me think it's a hardware problem.

Take-away: If you don't mind the app-switching lag, there probably isn't enough reason to root and ROM to CM12. Don't recommend it for anyone who isn't adventurous either. Warranty voided, and you will probably run into one or more of the issues I mentioned. You'll also have to flash GAPPS to get your google toys back.

My 2p.

-C
    06-06-2015 07:05 PM
    There is plenty of other touchwiz (almost stock) roms out there that makes the phone fly and give it the battery time it deserves. I'm running Rapture at the moment and I did not lose any touchwiz capabilities but I now have a phone that's more responsive than what I need. Some even have tweaks to improve the camera, like PopRocks.
    06-08-2015 01:47 PM
    I am, The s-pen still works, but not in the same way, i dont tend to use it alot but i use it for drawing and scrolling through facebook and using it for precision things. Nothing about the way it works is gone.
    12-19-2015 02:09 AM