Low Benchmark

iOSConvert2k14

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Out of curiosity because my phone seemed a slow today, I downloaded Geek bench and learned that my Note 4 is well below what is should be. I ran the test with no apps running. My single core score was only 566 which was last on the page. I attached a link to this post that goes into detail of how my Note did. Is something wrong? No new apps have been installed. What should I do to get my snappy note back?

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Geekbench Browser

rvhs03

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Is it in settings then storage and then clear cache?

To wipe cache partition, turn phone off. Hold home button, volume up, then power until it comes on. Then release power. Once it goes through the animations, you'll have a list in red. Scroll down using volume buttons and select wipe cache partition. This has fixed a lot of problems for me on note 3 and 4. I do it once a week.

Posted via MY Note 4

rvhs03

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Sorry. There is red text at the top, but the options you scroll through are blue. Also, once it is complete, select reboot system now. (Obviously)

Posted via MY Note 4

iOSConvert2k14

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Did the partition wipe and got a much better result and the phone is much better. Attached the screenshot of it. Why did this need to happen?

Attachments

• 1422592527449.jpg
    1422592527449.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 61

rvhs03

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Did the partition wipe and got a much better result and the phone is much better. Attached the screenshot of it. Why did this need to happen?

I'm not sure of the specifics. But I first learned of this trick using the note 3. Starting have horrible battery life and lag. This fixed it and has fixed virtually any issues ever since. Glad it helped! Props to the poster who recommended it!

Posted via MY Note 4

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

Good question for which I have never seen a good answer other than it "clears system temp files", etc., but providing no reasoning as to why there is a potential impact on performance. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't, but it's easy to do and worth a try. I do it every now and then just for no good reason. Glad it helped you out.

latinking91

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Is yours the snapdragon or the exynos because I just tried the app to see what mine would get and I got higher score. Mines the exynos version. Higher is good right?

Posted via My Note 4

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I would like to wipe the part. but really nervous about trying it. Is there anyway I can mess something up? Does it delete any apps. I just ran this geekbench test and got 1079 single core and 3175 multi core. Is that good?

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I would like to wipe the part. but really nervous about trying it. Is there anyway I can mess something up? Does it delete any apps. I just ran this geekbench test and got 1079 single core and 3175 multi core. Is that good?

Don't be scared, it won't delete any apps or other personal stuff as long you don't reset the phone. Just wipe cache and reboot.

jcords

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Huh, I used to do it on my previous device everytime there was a software update and it's always improved performance. But after clearing the cache I actually got slightly lower scores (tested 3x before and after).
Dropped about 50-70 points average

Attachments

• 1422624270605.jpg
    1422624270605.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_2015-01-30-21-44-49.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-30-21-44-49.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
With regards to the OP's issue, some insight in simple terms here - Out of the box you've essentially got your stock system which has its own files and then you install applications. Each application installation will have its own minimum files required to run. Once those applications are run they'll create temporary storage files (cache) as well as data files (with your pertinent information such as account info and custom settings within the app). The cache files do not store important data, they're merely there to speed things up. Say for example the application aggregates data from various sources on the internet, each time you open the app it will verify the data it already knows and skip downloading it again if it already has it in cache.

Clearing cache frequently is wasteful since it only forces the applications to get the data that was in there again, resulting in slower performance. Sometimes the need arises though when an application gets updated and the cache files that were done by a previous version of the application are no longer compatible. The newly updated version of the app may have trouble with the cache files that were done by the prior version. This is why it is common that people will ask if a user has restarted and cleared cache if they're having software issues.

As far as clearing cache and the impact to the benchmarks that jcords is describing I would postulate that possibly caching is going on during the second benchmark test and impacting performance during that time. It may not be the benchmark test itself that relies on its own cache files that were cleared, it may be other background processes which now are rebuilding cache in the background during testing. Hard to say .. . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair