03-23-2016 02:15 PM
85 1234
tools
    No; a Mac is a PC too.

I'm being slightly facetious, but the Note 4 is a powerful beast that allows me to do almost everything I need. Yeah, PC still needed every now and then, but not enough that I need to answer texts and phone calls on it.

Everybody has a different need, but I sure wouldn't make my mobile purchase based on its reliance on a PC.

Posted via the Android Central App
    LOL...I was just saying it would be once in a while convenient that u can use ur PC to make phone calls and texts via ur phone...lets just say ur phone is away or it's charging...I think it's a cool idea!
    01-31-2015 04:25 PM
    Wow, I'm blown away by SideSync!!! I've been using the Pro Version of Mighty Text....I like SideSync much better so far!!! Thanks for the share!!!
    How's it treating ur battery on the phone? it drained mine...and it lagged also on my PC...may be the lagging part is cuz of the type of PC i am using..but i used both devices on WIFI instead of USB
    01-31-2015 04:26 PM
    Wow SideSync is amazing. It really works well.
    I've used the USB connection and don't see any noticeable lag.
    02-01-2015 11:03 AM
    People still use PCs after getting the Note 4?

Lol. I have not used a laptop since I had a note 3. The note 4 does even more. I just carry my note 4. I use it to do everything. I type reports for work, track database stats, etc. I actually gave my laptop to my brother because I see no use for it.

May The note 4's be with you
    02-01-2015 11:26 AM
    How's it treating ur battery on the phone? it drained mine...and it lagged also on my PC...may be the lagging part is cuz of the type of PC i am using..but i used both devices on WIFI instead of USB
    Honestly...I haven't really had in on enough to know that. I tried installing it on my work laptop, but it failed to install, something with directx. I have it here again on my home PC (for about 20 mins), and so far, I really haven't noticed a big drain.
    02-01-2015 04:06 PM
    I would expect higher drain due to the frequent communication between the two devices over wifi. It would probably be worse with screen mirroring which would require constant communication.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    02-02-2015 03:17 AM
    I use and am quite happy with Mighty Text. It is a plug in for chrome on your laptop or desktop. You also need to install the app on yoour phone. It works whenever you can connect to wifi.

Peter
    02-02-2015 09:42 AM
    I use, and am quite happy with Mighty Text. It is a plug-in for chrome, and must also be installed on your phone. I use it both on my desktop and Nexus tablet.
    HTH
    Peter
    02-02-2015 10:16 AM
    No; a Mac is a PC too.

I'm being slightly facetious, but the Note 4 is a powerful beast that allows me to do almost everything I need. Yeah, PC still needed every now and then, but not enough that I need to answer texts and phone calls on it.

Everybody has a different need, but I sure wouldn't make my mobile purchase based on its reliance on a PC.

Much easier to type a 15 page research paper on a computer than a Note 4.
    02-02-2015 10:24 AM
    I use, and am quite happy with Mighty Text. It is a plug-in for chrome, and must also be installed on your phone. I use it both on my desktop and Nexus tablet.
    HTH
    Peter
    Using Mighty Text as well but not totally satisfied with it. Their service is spotty, sometimes it's responsive and sometimes not. Given that both computer and mobile device have good Internet connections when I observe such behavior I can only assume that their servers are sometimes overloaded.

It's not enough for me to quit using but can sometimes be annoying.

02-02-2015 11:17 AM
    If you have Verizon you can use your number to text from any android or windows device.

Otherwise I would suggest side sync or whatever it's called as others have already suggested.

02-02-2015 11:38 AM
    I would expect higher drain due to the frequent communication between the two devices over wifi. It would probably be worse with screen mirroring which would require constant communication.

yeah tht's wht I am guessing with my phone...It drained my battery, plus I was experiencing lag on my phone, so i deleted it!
    02-02-2015 12:39 PM
    Much easier to type a 15 page research paper on a computer than a Note 4.
    lol tht is true...there are somethings on a PC that no phone in the world can replace!
    akutch34 likes this.
    02-02-2015 12:40 PM
    I use and am quite happy with Mighty Text. It is a plug in for chrome on your laptop or desktop. You also need to install the app on yoour phone. It works whenever you can connect to wifi.

Peter
    Have heard of it but can't use it to make phone calls...wanted something to make phone calls and texting...Google voice is an option but i have to have a different #, plus u can't send MMS over google voice !
    02-02-2015 12:41 PM
    Have heard of it but can't use it to make phone calls...wanted something to make phone calls and texting...Google voice is an option but i have to have a different #, plus u can't send MMS over google voice !
    You can...if you use Hangouts for Google Voice. If you still use the Google Voice app/ web site, then nope, MMS are a no-go.
    02-02-2015 12:50 PM
    You can...if you use Hangouts for Google Voice. If you still use the Google Voice app/ web site, then nope, MMS are a no-go.
    Hmm...how do i use hangouts for G voice? is the way port over my G voice # to hangouts? does that mean I can delete my G voice app from phone?
    02-02-2015 03:44 PM
    Yes, and no.

If you go to Hangouts' Settings, there's a Google Voice section that lets you use get your Google Voice messages directly in Hangouts. However, if you still want to place voice calls using your Google Voice number, you still need the Google Voice app for that. If you only use your GV number for texting or don't care that outgoing calls are showing your 'real' phone number, then you can migrate to Hangouts and uninstall the GV app (which is hideous by today's standards)
    02-02-2015 04:04 PM
    Yes, and no.

If you go to Hangouts' Settings, there's a Google Voice section that lets you use get your Google Voice messages directly in Hangouts. However, if you still want to place voice calls using your Google Voice number, you still need the Google Voice app for that. If you only use your GV number for texting or don't care that outgoing calls are showing your 'real' phone number, then you can migrate to Hangouts and uninstall the GV app (which is hideous by today's standards)
    Ok ok gotcha...I hope they integrate with Hangouts soon that we can use GV # to make phone call via hangouts...
    02-02-2015 09:51 PM
    NEVER had an issue with MightyText. I think Handcent can make calls. Don't know about the PC part. Magic Jack is good for calls from anywhere but I don't think it does messaging. There are dozens of ways to do all this stuff so I am not 'selling' any one thing. I just get what I need from MightyText. I might look at SideSync just because some of you seem to like it.

Using Mighty Text as well but not totally satisfied with it. Their service is spotty, sometimes it's responsive and sometimes not. Given that both computer and mobile device have good Internet connections when I observe such behavior I can only assume that their servers are sometimes overloaded.

It's not enough for me to quit using but can sometimes be annoying.

shortwave8669 likes this.
    02-03-2015 02:51 PM
    Phone was about to die, but I'm waiting on an important text convo... so, I decided to try out Side Sync on my tablet while my phone charges in the other room. This is extremely cool and convenient. Thanks for the info!
    Attached Thumbnails Calling/texting from your phone using your PC!!-1423012619003.jpg  
    02-03-2015 08:17 PM
    Phone was about to die, but I'm waiting on an important text convo... so, I decided to try out Side Sync on my tablet while my phone charges in the other room. This is extremely cool and convenient. Thanks for the info!
    looks cool...I wished it would work for me except it drains battery for me.
    02-03-2015 09:18 PM
    Side Sync looks very cool. They even have a version for us evil Macintosh users.
    02-04-2015 03:57 PM
    OMFG! Thanks for being the first to mention this. Works great on my PC. I don't care about battery usage because I use USB so it charges while I use it. SO cool. Question though...Can't find a setting that'll make it recognize SwiftKey instead of Samsung keyboard. Not a huge issue but if anyone knows it'd be appreciated. Need to start a SideSync thread just so people will see it. Was accident for me.

Yup, yes it does. But it only works with Samsung's newest devices. Oh, wait! Like yours!

It's called SideSync (usually it's pre-loaded on the phone, but if it's not, it's easily found on the Play Store). Download that to your computer (or tablet if you have it) and voila! You can even have your phone's screen in your computer and handle it with your mouse/keyboard, or just share the mouse/keyboard with the phone. File transfer between devices is also possible. You can do this over USB cable or WiFi as long as both devices are in the same network.

But if that doesn't rock your boat, you can also 'migrate' your calling/texting to your Google Voice account. That way you can get your texts and calls right on your computer or even an iOS device as long as you install the app.
    02-04-2015 04:04 PM
    OMFG! Thanks for being the first to mention this. Works great on my PC. I don't care about battery usage because I use USB so it charges while I use it. SO cool. Question though...Can't find a setting that'll make it recognize SwiftKey instead of Samsung keyboard. Not a huge issue but if anyone knows it'd be appreciated. Need to start a SideSync thread just so people will see it. Was accident for me.
    I noticed this, too. Would've like to use SwiftKey instead
    02-04-2015 04:07 PM
    So, I got curious and went to check the settings again. I think the setup process changed the default keyboard. You still can't get rid of the Samsung keyboard or even uncheck it but I just changed default back to SwiftKey Beta and voila! It's there. Yay !

I noticed this, too. Would've like to use SwiftKey instead
    02-04-2015 04:53 PM
85 1234